Course suggestions Leicester area

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at a weekend away with a small group next summer, any course recomendations for the Leicester area. Not all are keen golfers, so would be better being an easier course.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Stapleford Park a couple of years ago on a corporate day. Nice course, friendly clubhouse, lovely setting.

I heard rumours last year though that it might be closing ?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Steve, there are a number of decent courses in the Leicester area without many exceptional ones. Most should, therefore be fine for what you are looking for. I would avoid Luffenham Heath and Longcliffe as they are quite tough and Market Harborough is very hilly.

My course, Kibworth, is worth considering, as are Glen Gorse, Scraptoft, Beadles Lake, Kilworth Springs, Kirby Muxloe, Melton Mowbray and Ullesthope (Crow's home course). As mentioned above Stapleford Park is a decent course, although long and being heathland very penal if you are off of the fairway.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Stapleford Park a couple of years ago on a corporate day. Nice course, friendly clubhouse, lovely setting.

I heard rumours last year though that it might be closing ?

Yep. closing in October. Greetham Valley would fit the bill and you have places like Rutland Water in the area as well that welcome everyone.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Leicestershire isn't blessed with many good courses, Luffenham Heath is probably the best but can be tricky if you're not a regular golfer.

My course, Ullesthorpe Court, has a lot of visitors and you can play weekends too.
There's also a hotel attached which makes life easier.

The course is a basic parkland layout with a few water hazards here and there but generally playable for all levels. The fairways are mostly pretty generous and the rough is kept to a fair height so finding the ball won't take long (unless you go really off line) and you'll have a shot out.

Link to course guide below, I make no excuses for the website, it's just crap.
https://www.ullesthorpegolfclub.co.uk/hole_by_hole

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at Hinckley which is a very good course, doesn't have accommodation facilities though which others in the area might make more appealing such as Ullesthorpe.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for Ullesthorpe, always in good condition and nice and friendly bar and outside area. with very good food in main bar area. plenty of space with golf separate from main hotel area

D

Deleted member 18588

As someone who has lived here for 40 years and been a member of one club for over 38 of those I am afraid that my advice would be to go elsewhere.

There really isn't a course in the county, with the possible exception of Longcliffe, that I would consider worthy of a weekend away.

Try the northern end of Notts instead.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The weekend away is more a lads weekend away with a game of golf thrown in rather than a golf weekend away. Only choosing the Leicester area as it is central for us as a group.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never been but there is a driving range and new course called The Gallops I think under Leicester golf centre as name. 9 holes but multiple tees, but aimed at fun for all. Top tracer bays and drinks I think from social media.

Probably works perfectly for those hardly playing but maybe not for the regular golfers who want to explore a new course but I may be doing a disservice as I think the place has got some recognition in terms of awards.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What are you recommending?

For a weekend away, especially with golf included, Nottingham is streets ahead of Leicester imo.

Depends to some degree what you want but if youre talking about going out in town Nottingham far more preferrable to Leicester imo. Wrt to golf courses, the top 10 across the 2 counties would have 8 or 9 from Nottinghamshire.

As a stay and play I expect the Nottinghamshire in Cotgrave your best option, if golf was the prime concern then I would look to play Hollingwell and Sherwood Forest but plenty of decent options

D

Deleted member 18588

For a weekend away, especially with golf included, Nottingham is streets ahead of Leicester imo.

Depends to some degree what you want but if youre talking about going out in town Nottingham far more preferrable to Leicester imo. Wrt to golf courses, the top 10 across the 2 counties would have 8 or 9 from Nottinghamshire.

As a stay and play I expect the Nottinghamshire in Cotgrave your best option, if golf was the prime concern then I would look to play Hollingwell and Sherwood Forest but plenty of decent options
After the three Mansfield tracks there really isn't anything any better (or worse) in Notts than Leics.

As for night out I am informed by those slightly younger that Nottingham is a s***hole these days and Leicester is better in offering a wider range of clubs and bars etc.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After the three Mansfield tracks there really isn't anything any better (or worse) in Notts than Leics.

As for night out I am informed by those slightly younger that Nottingham is a s***hole these days and Leicester is better in offering a wider range of clubs and bars etc.

take out all the really good courses and then theres nothing to choose between them ;)

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never been but there is a driving range and new course called The Gallops I think under Leicester golf centre as name. 9 holes but multiple tees, but aimed at fun for all. Top tracer bays and drinks I think from social media.

Probably works perfectly for those hardly playing but maybe not for the regular golfers who want to explore a new course but I may be doing a disservice as I think the place has got some recognition in terms of awards.

I have been a number of times and is a very good driving range. Can play various games/courses via Top Tracer although the distances it records is somewhat dubious. Not played the Gallops course but a few mates have and it does the job in terms of casual golf. It's right by Leicester racecourse and a few miles out of the centre.