Course recommendations - Manchester to Lincolnshire.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all.

Off on a golf weekend to Woodall Spa at the end of next month.

Looking for a knock on the Friday. Driving from Manchester to Lincolnshire.

Anyone recommend a decent track? I’ve head Sherwood Forrest is a decent track but i am unfamiliar with that neck of the woods from a golfing perspective.

Got decent budgets to play with so looking for a good quality course please.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Sherwood Forest is lovely, a Top100 UK&I course. Couple of others in north Notts worth a look are Coxmoor, Lindrick and Notts (Hollinwell). There are plenty of nice (and cheaper) options too, but you these are the best ones and you said you had a decent budget!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sherwood Forest is lovely, a Top100 UK&I course. Couple of others in north Notts worth a look are Coxmoor, Lindrick and Notts (Hollinwell). There are plenty of nice (and cheaper) options too, but you these are the best ones and you said you had a decent budget!
Any of these ^^^^^^ plus Prestbury & Cavendish, & I thought Worksop, a few years ago was very ordinary.
If you are looking for somewhere on the way back & relatively close to home then I'd recommend the south Leeds 'little gem' of Howley Hall just off the M62.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If driving from Manchester to Woodhall, the A 57 is a rd you would probably end up on. That will take you right past Lindrick. It is a nice knock and an ex Ryder cup venue so it could be a tick list course. Another that runs alongside the A 57 five minutes past Lindrick is Worksop. I know a few lads who are members there and they say it is Gorgeous but brutal at the moment.
Sherwood is very very nice but is a 25-30 minute run south of Lindrick. Another course following the A57 is Torksey or Lincoln golf club. Just after Dunham bridge.Hears good things about that place.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hollinwell is comfortably the best course in Nottinghamshire, and held the Brabazon Trophy last week. It's £190pp. Don't think they allow visitors on Friday mornings. Sherwood Forest is decent, although one or two holes on the front 9 let it down a little. Probably nearer £120pp. Torksey (Lincoln) is a good shout.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We’ve managed to book onto Lindrick. Tried Hollinwell first but they had no availability at the times we wanted.

Looks a great track. Thanks again.
You won't be disappointed with Lindrick.... I've found Hollinwell to be rather overrated. I would put Sherwood Forest ahead of it for enjoyment... not a country mile but not far off. SF is certainly a Club that's much nearer yer normal golfer than many more are. Notts, like Ganton are just a bit 'up themselves' & have badly shown such in the recent EG Events there.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You won't be disappointed with Lindrick.... I've found Hollinwell to be rather overrated. I would put Sherwood Forest ahead of it for enjoyment... not a country mile but not far off. SF is certainly a Club that's much nearer yer normal golfer than many more are. Notts, like Ganton are just a bit 'up themselves' & have badly shown such in the recent EG Events there.

Totally agree re Hollinwell. Lovely track, but a club a little let down by its attitude and not really worth that price tag. £190pp is over the top when there are other quality courses nearby which don’t charge anywhere near that much.