Course Recommendations for a Treat

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Thinking of booking a 'treat' round for myself in March. Broad criteria of:
- South East - I'm based nr Woking but happy to drive a few hours
- Accept a single on a weekday
- Be accepting of a beginner/high handicapper

I think the last criteria rules out Woking & Worplesdon but West Hill could be an option, maybe Foxhills? Any others I'm missing or a bit further afield that might be worth a look?

D

Deleted member 23270

Have you got a budget and course type in mind? In March I would strongly consider a drive to the coast to play a links.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
less than £100 would be ideal, ~£150 do-able. Don't want to pay Sunningdale-esque prices of £300 if it can be avoided (and I know I wouldn't be welcome there as a high handicapper)

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Why the need to play as a single?

No need per se, I'm just planning on going on a week day and don't have an extensive list of golfing buddies so need somewhere that will accept me booking as an individual, rocking up on my own and then either playing individually or joined up with others. There are quite a few courses who dont appear to let you book as an individual

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
On a similar vein as the OP, I may be in Devon in early March with my other half on a special trip and debating whether to try Saunton. Never played a top class links before in late winter conditions, so wondering from those more experienced if Saunton winter as a high handicapper single is likely to be an enjoyable day or not? Or will I likely just be chasing lost balls and losing extremities to frostbite - ie. should save it for a summer trip.

evemccc

Visit site
No need per se, I'm just planning on going on a week day and don't have an extensive list of golfing buddies so need somewhere that will accept me booking as an individual, rocking up on my own and then either playing individually or joined up with others. There are quite a few courses who dont appear to let you book as an individual

I played a solo round at West Hill for less than £100 — no handicap questions were asked, and no-one batted an eyelid about me being a solo golfer. Everyone I encountered was v friendly and welcoming, and I had a great afternoon - am left with nothing but positive thoughts of that place

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thinking of booking a 'treat' round for myself in March. Broad criteria of:
- South East - I'm based nr Woking but happy to drive a few hours
- Accept a single on a weekday
- Be accepting of a beginner/high handicapper

I think the last criteria rules out Woking & Worplesdon but West Hill could be an option, maybe Foxhills? Any others I'm missing or a bit further afield that might be worth a look?
Stick to sand based courses, even in March. Clay based Foxhills will still be very soggy imo. It's fine in Summer though.
I've not played Woking, but Worplesdon was fine as a single and I don't believe they asked about handicap. I prefer West Hill, though the heather is more severe in quite a few places. The links courses mentioned are a good shout too, though quite a trek. Princes (my first links experience and I was hooked!) should work, though 'navigation' was an issue from memory.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a look at the winter rates for Princes, Royal Cinque Ports, Littlestone and Hayling. All will be in decent condition in March and within 2 hours or so.
Can't say I've played too many courses in the South East but I played the first three on this list and I reckon Littlestone is an absolutely cracking course that is still playable for the higher handicapper.

evemccc

Visit site
Can't say I've played too many courses in the South East but I played the first three on this list and I reckon Littlestone is an absolutely cracking course that is still playable for the higher handicapper.
Deal destroyed me

Admittedly my ball striking was really atrocious that day, but I found it much harder than Muirfield, Woodhall, Ganton, Porthcawl and Dornoch