Course Recommendations for a Treat

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a similar vein as the OP, I may be in Devon in early March with my other half on a special trip and debating whether to try Saunton. Never played a top class links before in late winter conditions, so wondering from those more experienced if Saunton winter as a high handicapper single is likely to be an enjoyable day or not? Or will I likely just be chasing lost balls and losing extremities to frostbite - ie. should save it for a summer trip.
Early March here in North Devon is the start of summer :love: . Most probably a good time to play Saunton as a high handicapper as the rough won’t have grown up to much. It’s more sheltered than Royal North Devon so unless it’s blowing a gale you'll be fine.

Two courses, East & West. Waiting for incoming but I think the West is the more difficult although not the one people come to play, and their missing out. East is about hitting it long and straight.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'd happily have you on as a guest round my place at Ipswich. We aren't taking visitors, but can get you on as my guest midweek.
Sums up the good things about this forum (y)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
what’s the story there!?
Played there as a special birthday treat from the wife. She walked around with me, taking photos on my brand new phone. Several hundred acres of beautiful grass and heather and she goes and drops it on the only tarmac path that runs through the gaff. Smashed the screen. I wasn't really angry.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played there as a special birthday treat from the wife. She walked around with me, taking photos on my brand new phone. Several hundred acres of beautiful grass and heather and she goes and drops it on the only tarmac path that runs through the gaff. Smashed the screen. I wasn't really angry.
To be fair you were not your normal cheerful self for the next 12 holes.:eek:

wicksy_172

Visit site
SurreyGolfer, I am planning to play a handful of courses in Kent and Surry this year for abit of variety, only really played my home club. Like you I would be a solo golfer.
If you fancy a playing partner, let me know. Mondays are best, but Tuesdays OK too.

D

Deleted member 21258

Early March here in North Devon is the start of summer :love: . Most probably a good time to play Saunton as a high handicapper as the rough won’t have grown up to much. It’s more sheltered than Royal North Devon so unless it’s blowing a gale you'll be fine.

Two courses, East & West. Waiting for incoming but I think the West is the more difficult although not the one people come to play, and their missing out. East is about hitting it long and straight.

Its lovely in Devon, goto Saunton OP, great clubhouse, friendly and very playable and dry as a bone, no mud there.

As OSkier says Sauntons rough is down at the moment, will still be in March and very playable for anyone, balls can be easily found if wayward etc.

Also agree with OS, West is the tricker course and personally I find it the harder/more memorable/fun course. I always look forward to playing the West probably more than the East as a result. (East is the better test of golf tho in my eyes).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...semi links with lots of water.
I've seen too many instances where that (and 'inland links') really means 'couldn't be arsed/afford to put trees in' or left most holes of the farmland conversion scruffy/unkempt and windblown! Blakes in Essex being the example that springs instantly to mind.
Edit. FWIW, Pics do suggest a linksy look to Lydd though, so it might be 'true to description'.

Last edited: