Course Recommendation - good-draining?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ellesborough, according to the website is 30 quid with a County Card, 50 without.
Drains like....well, a drain...
But we don't have bookable times so you'd need to liase with the Pro shop for the best times..
Quite a few roll ups and shorter daylight means a squeeze on numbers..

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ellesborough, according to the website is 30 quid with a County Card, 50 without.
But we don't have bookable times so you'd need to liase with the Pro shop for the best times..

Might run into you though..sooooo

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We do as it's an excuse to book a day off and play golf.

Well Friday is his birthday, we've each booked it off work already, and it will lead into drinks in the evening while watching the England world cup match. That's fine if there's no amazing options, was just looking for a variety of suggestions and we'll see if one works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I think we'd go to £50 if need be but not really going to spend more than that.

I often wonder if it's false logic that hillier courses drain better than flat ones? Thinking about somewhere like Wycombe Heights or Hazlemere for example which are pretty hilly.

Hazlemere certainly doesnt, a lot of the greens are in the valley at the bottom and can get pretty slippery, long while since I played Wycombe but dont remember it as particularly dry.

If you dont mind hills and are OK with that standard of course Ive already given you as better option than both ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

cheaper than I wouldve expected in the current climate!!!

whats the members guest price? ;)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about Chiltern Forest GC? No idea on condition during winter but think it fits the bill location and cost-wise

RichA

Visit site
Old Fold Manor isn't too far from you. I haven't played there when it's been really wet, but i'd be surprised if it was boggy.

sunshine

Visit site
Berkhamsted Monday to Thursday £55 County Card green fee on their website.

You won't get better than that.

And it's a far better course than Sandy Lodge.

Good luck with those for £40.00

Late November, both those courses may have a winter green fee I expect.

Old Fold Manor was also a decent suggestion. It's on high ground, half of the course is on gravel and free draining. It drains on to the Shire. Unfortunately, consensus is that the lower holes have become more boggy since the redevelopment work, it has somehow impacted the drainage.

Don't think I've ever heard West Mid or Crews Hill classed as well draining.

Or, as it's a special occasion, you could blow the budget and treat yourself at the Grove.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
More than your budget and not sure about condition but the shire do a winter four ball before 10:30 plus two pizzas for £290 so £72.50 each

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not played Sandy Lodge but heard it’s good.

Only played Berko once but it’s great - no bunkers but definitely a quality course
Sandy Lodge is well up itself with prices far too high. Excellent practice facilities, but the course is a bit "meh". Does drain well, though.

Lack of bunkers at Berko is not a problem - the humps with long grass around the greens are a greater hazard than sand. I've only ever played it in the summer so have no experience of how it drains.