Course Recommendation - good-draining?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and my mates always tend to do a birthday round somewhere decent - unfortunately one of my mates' birthdays is near the end of November. In the past we've been stung by getting a decent deal someone and then finding it's basically swampland that time of year. Can you guys recommend somewhere that drains well and might be playable? Then I'll send him the suggestions and he can choose one.

- we live around North West Greater London (Watford, Harrow, Ruislip) so not too far from there would be good
- budget would be probably up to around £40 fee, on a Friday
- as mentioned, somewhere that drains well and will be nicely playable at the end of November if it's wet

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 23270

Bit of a trek for you but Hockley near Winchester is guaranteed to be dry as it's built on chalk. £45 with a county card.

evemccc

Visit site
Berkhamsted Monday to Thursday £55 County Card green fee on their website.

You won't get better than that.

And it's a far better course than Sandy Lodge.

Not played Sandy Lodge but heard it’s good.

Only played Berko once but it’s great - no bunkers but definitely a quality course

There’s a couple of good YouTube videos (Cookie Jar for example) on Berko so you can see if it is to your liking

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Me and my mates always tend to do a birthday round somewhere decent - unfortunately one of my mates' birthdays is near the end of November. In the past we've been stung by getting a decent deal someone and then finding it's basically swampland that time of year. Can you guys recommend somewhere that drains well and might be playable? Then I'll send him the suggestions and he can choose one.

- we live around North West Greater London (Watford, Harrow, Ruislip) so not too far from there would be good
- budget would be probably up to around £40 fee, on a Friday
- as mentioned, somewhere that drains well and will be nicely playable at the end of November if it's wet

Thanks.

Depends which is more flexible, the max fee or it being a great course.

If youre flexible on the fee then as already said youll struggle to do better than Berko, if not flexible on fee and just want guaranteed to be dry/open then go and play Royston

AAC

Visit site
Depends which is more flexible, the max fee or it being a great course.

If youre flexible on the fee then as already said youll struggle to do better than Berko, if not flexible on fee and just want guaranteed to be dry/open then go and play Royston

If you haven't played Royston before either hire a sherpa or locate the defribulator before you start :sneaky:

D

Deleted member 15344

You are limiting yourself based on the day you want to play and the cost you want to play

I very much doubt you will get a decent course with great drainage on a Friday for £40

You will need to either up your price , change your day or lower your expectations

there are some very good courses with good drainage in the area but it will cost you more than £40 and Fridays will be a tough day

You won’t get anything better than Berko on a county card for the Monday to Thursday

And you will find most decent member courses won’t allow visitors before 12 on a Friday

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do adults actually care about their birthday? I haven't since I turned 22. ?
We do as it's an excuse to book a day off and play golf.

You are limiting yourself based on the day you want to play and the cost you want to play

I very much doubt you will get a decent course with great drainage on a Friday for £40

You will need to either up your price , change your day or lower your expectations

there are some very good courses with good drainage in the area but it will cost you more than £40 and Fridays will be a tough day

You won’t get anything better than Berko on a county card for the Monday to Thursday

And you will find most decent member courses won’t allow visitors before 12 on a Friday
Well Friday is his birthday, we've each booked it off work already, and it will lead into drinks in the evening while watching the England world cup match. That's fine if there's no amazing options, was just looking for a variety of suggestions and we'll see if one works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I think we'd go to £50 if need be but not really going to spend more than that.

I often wonder if it's false logic that hillier courses drain better than flat ones? Thinking about somewhere like Wycombe Heights or Hazlemere for example which are pretty hilly.