Course ratings.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know this has been done to death, and will continue to be. But, just reading a review on Silloth. A course I have never played. A comment has been made that " if this course was in merseyside it would be rated even higher". I have said this before and will continue to say. Because some courses are not down south they are not rated as highly. Is that really the case? Truth be told I don't really know, but I suspect it is. Again I have said this before that it seems that price of said course never comes into it. Why? If a course is £200 becuse they either don't want me to play there or because they think it's worth it.Why is it rated so highly when 99% of golfers cannot play there. There's just something that from day one, that when it comes to golf courses and rating. I am missing something.

D

Deleted member 1147

Why can only 1% of people play them?
Those rated by GM are all courses open to anyone. They removed the ultra private, members and guest only, clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know this has been done to death, and will continue to be. But, just reading a review on Silloth. A course I have never played. A comment has been made that " if this course was in merseyside it would be rated even higher". I have said this before and will continue to say. Because some courses are not down south they are not rated as highly. Is that really the case? Truth be told I don't really know, but I suspect it is. Again I have said this before that it seems that price of said course never comes into it. Why? If a course is £200 becuse they either don't want me to play there or because they think it's worth it.Why is it rated so highly when 99% of golfers cannot play there. There's just something that from day one, that when it comes to golf courses and rating. I am missing something.

Ok I have read it 3 times now and I’m still struggling to understand what you are asking ?

I’m confused why you think 99% of golfers can’t play at the highly rated courses ?

North South East West has no bearings on where they rated - location in regards views etc would be taken into account.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of all the reviews, GM seems to be one of the fairest with a panel made up from a lot of different areas and takes out exclusive clubs. However reviews are always subjective and there will always be courses highly rated others don't think deserve to be (in my case I thought Addington fits that category) and others that are low down or not ranked at all others think should be

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some absolutely laughable and some questionable courses/positions in the GM top 100. That said likewise in other magazines and ratings.

I don't bother getting "worked up" anymore I just shake my head at certain "choices".

Opinions are like somewhere poop comes out of and we all have them, some are just a wee bit more far out and out of touch than others.

I know what I like and what I rate so I'm happy at that.

👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rating system makes it very difficult to fudge the figures unless all the team members have been told to inflate or deflate key measurements. Not only would all individual team members have to be involved in the deception, county rating administrators would have to connive with each other and have the 'approval' of England Golf and/or the other national unions.
In my county random sampling is done, not to check authenticity but for quality control and consistency.
I have never heard anything to suggest there is any fiddling.

Have you taken length into account? Silloth seems to be shorter than many Merseyside courses

Tashyboy

Visit site
Is Scotland down south? Geez Tashy you post some garbled rants sometimes :)

btw Merseyside isnt down south either ;)

According to some of the replys, am not on me own. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying some of the courses that are highly rated are rubbish. I just don't get how some that don't cost a kings ransom or are not in a prime location don't seem to be rated as good as they should be.

D

Deleted member 15344

According to some of the replys, am not on me own. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying some of the courses that are highly rated are rubbish. I just don't get how some that don't cost a kings ransom or are not in a prime location don't seem to be rated as good as they should be.

Which courses are you talking about ?

To play the “best courses” is going to cost a bit more - they aren’t rated the better courses because of their price

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

and you use a course youve not played, compared to other courses youve not played to make this point?

which course in Merseyside (down south) should Silloth be higher rated than that it isnt currently?

Tashyboy

Visit site
and you use a course youve not played, compared to other courses youve not played to make this point?

which course in Merseyside (down south) should Silloth be higher rated than that it isnt currently?
I am quoting someone else who thinks s the same as me.

D

Deleted member 15344

It would be interesting to know which courses people believe should be rated higher ?

And which courses aren’t rated higher because they don’t cost as much ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He’s referring to the other thread.

There’s too much hostility on these forums to me.

I just started playing golf. I hope it’s not this aggressive at clubs.

Won’t be coming back to these forums again.

Just a couple of bampots and keyboard warriors. Empty vessels make most noise and all that. Get stuck in and hit ignore if anyone starts to annoy you too much.

Siolag

Visit site
Not played a top 100 course yet, but will once I’m a little better.

However, was down in North Berwick a few months back and stayed at the hotel that looks onto the West Links. Looking out from our room and the hotel bar, it looked nothing special.

Walked further along the next day, realised the main bit we could see was the kids course. The main course looked in incredible condition. Didn’t play it, but could see some of the greens up close and you could see it was the pride of the greenkeepers. We have already decided we need to go back and play there (played the glen the previous day). Also went to have a browse at Muirfield and got a very warm welcome. We have even looked at moving to the area (not just for golf).

Just seeing these 2 courses in close proximity, you can see how good they look. Playing them? As a new golfer, can’t wait to test myself on some of them. Ok, my whole family are golfers and I have an appreciation of stepping in the footsteps of the greats, but looking at them close up, I can see why they are held in esteem.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rating system makes it very difficult to fudge the figures unless all the team members have been told to inflate or deflate key measurements. Not only would all individual team members have to be involved in the deception, county rating administrators would have to connive with each other and have the 'approval' of England Golf and/or the other national unions.
In my county random sampling is done, not to check authenticity but for quality control and consistency.

Have you taken length into account? Silloth seems to be shorter than many Merseyside courses
Just realised what 'rating' you meant

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

All too subjective still - especially when raters think higher of their own course against others and so mark ‘accordingly’....

Hitdaball

Visit site
Siloth is a Fantastic course and is cheap to play and cheap to join because it is a right royal pain in the backside to get to. If it was in merseyside or Kent it would certainly be more expensive but I don’t think it would change it rating. Same for somewhere like Hollinwell which, whilst it isn’t cheap, you could double memebership and green fees if in Surrey. I think sometimes ratings and expense get tangled up.

All the these ratings are subjective in any case so I don’t put too much stock from them.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Design and condition determine a courses' ranking.

Location and price do NOT determine a courses' ranking.

Last edited by a moderator: