Course h/c

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thankyou , so guy I was playing with has a handicap index of 14.7 and course handicap of 15 but when results came in his handicap is still 15 I’m slightly confused with why his handicap didn’t come down to 14.

Are you looking at a results sheet?

If yes then it may show his full Course Handicap. Handicap alterations are based upon full CH and not PH

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thankyou , so guy I was playing with has a handicap index of 14.7 and course handicap of 15 but when results came in his handicap is still 15 I’m slightly confused with why his handicap didn’t come down to 14.
As indicated above, the WHS is only interested in the rounded CH and that will show in the player's WHS record. PH is only for the purpose of competitions

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I have a course handicap given to me by the HI to CH conversion table for the course. I then work out my PH according to the format, rounding any deduction to be applied. And that’s it. It’s not difficult. In fact it’s very simple.
Unless your club/jurisdiction software is recalulating your index on the fly from differentials in their database held to more than 1 dp, then not rounding the handicap index, then not rounding the course handicap before calculating the playing handicap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless your club/jurisdiction software is recalulating your index on the fly from differentials in their database held to more than 1 dp, then not rounding the handicap index, then not rounding the course handicap before calculating the playing handicap.
IG gives me my current HI to one DP (recalculated by the system overnight as and when necessary). That is what I use, I do not question it or do anything to it. I most certainly don’t have to work it out from my eight differentials. I take it and look up my CH from the table provided by the club. When I have that I simply apply the appropriate factor for the format I am playing. I round up for 0.5 and above, down for 0.4 and below to get my PH.

I am frankly baffled by much of the discussion in this thread…sorry…

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IG gives me my current HI to one DP (recalculated by the system overnight as and when necessary). That is what I use, I do not question it or do anything to it. I most certainly don’t have to work it out from my eight differentials. I take it and look up my CH from the table provided by the club. When I have that I simply apply the appropriate factor for the format I am playing. I round up for 0.5 and above, down for 0.4 and below to get my PH.

I am frankly baffled by much of the discussion in this thread…sorry…

Or if you use IG on the club website, on the app or on a PSI screen it tells your PH for singles play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your HI is 'converted' by using the calculation (CH = HI x (Slope / 113) into a CH.

If you are not in Scotland this is rounded to an integer (as shown on the charts). 95% of this integer produces the Playing Handicap.

However in Scotland the rounded integer value is used as your Course Handicap. But before doing the PH calculation the resultant CH is not rounded. 95% of this unrounded value produces a decimal value. This is then rounded to a integer. That is the Playing Handicap.

Last edited:

DickInShorts

Visit site
Most - if not all - clubs in Scotland use some form of computer software either for signing in (which shows your PH for the competition) or a scoring software app which also lets you know your PH.

There is no requirement for the player to do any complex calculation