Course h/c

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If my handicap index is 19.9 and my course handicap is 21 should I come down to 20 when the 95% is deducted?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes.
Round to nearest whole number.

Thankyou , so guy I was playing with has a handicap index of 14.7 and course handicap of 15 but when results came in his handicap is still 15 I’m slightly confused with why his handicap didn’t come down to 14.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Belay that.
You need to calculate the CH unrounded and then apply the 95%.

I’m going to have to let this go I’m getting too confused 😂 when you look at the course handicap on the chart it gives you a whole number.

I understand why my h/c was reduced by a shot but can’t understand why the guy I was playing with had a course handicap of 15 but wasn’t reduced 🤷🏼‍♂️

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I’m going to have to let this go I’m getting too confused 😂 when you look at the course handicap on the chart it gives you a whole number.

I understand why my h/c was reduced by a shot but can’t understand why the guy I was playing with had a course handicap of 15 but wasn’t reduced 🤷🏼‍♂️
If his CH is 15.3 then

15.3 x 95% = 14.535 and this is rounded to 15.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

It would seem the chart was not intended for use in Scotland. (2nd thoughts - was the CH column showing decimals?)

Do you have the Slope for the tees used?
Or you can work it out yourself.
His Course Handicap is
Handicap Index x (Slope / 113) ..... unrounded!!.
then his PH is 95% of that .... rounded!!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If his CH is 15.3 then

15.3 x 95% = 14.535 and this is rounded to 15.
Eh? Surely you just get your CH for the course table according to your HI, then calculate PH from CH rounding any 0.5 up.

So for example let’s say 15.3 round my track gives a CH of 17 off the Whites. 1/20th (5%) of 17 is 0.85 so round up to 1 and subtract from 17 gives a PH of 16. Alternatively taking 0.85 off 17 gives 16.15 which rounds down to 16. I‘m not sure if it makes any difference the order of rounding and subtracting the 5%. I don’t think it does. I always do the former…i.e. I round up or down the 5% before subtracting.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It would seem the chart was not intended for use in Scotland. (2nd thoughts - was the CH column showing decimals?)

Do you have the Slope for the tees used?
Or you can work it out yourself.
His Course Handicap is
Handicap Index x (Slope / 113) ..... unrounded!!.
then his PH is 95% of that .... rounded!!
This is what I’m working from for our course IMG_1089.jpg

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mathematically it is best to not round more than once and certainly not in the middle of a calculation.

This is a club in Scotland...

So for me, on my course,
5.0 × 128 ÷ 113 = 5.66... (6)
for course hcp.

In a 95% competition
5.0 × 128 ÷ 113 × 0.95 = 5.38... (5)
for playing hcp.

The fact we have 95% in comps is the one that really baffles me.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
This is what I’m working from for our course View attachment 48739
Well, that table is correct where the handicap allowance is 100%, but not if the handicap allowance is less that 100%. See Ken L's calculation in post #16. Disregard the table results, start with the HI, slope rating and do the calculation, rounding at the end.
"Allowances" for different forms of play were established by a statistical analysis of many competition results and are intended to give give both higher handicap and lower handicap players an equal chance of winning. I believe that Golf Australia had the most data available for the statistical analysis.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Eh? Surely you just get your CH for the course table according to your HI, then calculate PH from CH rounding any 0.5 up.

So for example let’s say 15.3 round my track gives a CH of 17 off the Whites. 1/20th (5%) of 17 is 0.85 so round up to 1 and subtract from 17 gives a PH of 16. Alternatively taking 0.85 off 17 gives 16.15 which rounds down to 16. I‘m not sure if it makes any difference the order of rounding and subtracting the 5%. I don’t think it does. I always do the former…i.e. I round up or down the 5% before subtracting.
Not in Scotland, because they do not round CH to a whole number. They apply 95% to the unrounded CH. Rounding is done at the end of the calculation.
I would like to see all of UK do it this way, because,

Applying slope stretches or contracts the handicap scale, but maintains the relative differences between handicaps.
Applying 95% contracts the handicap scale back a bit, but the relative differences are maintained only if there is no rounding to a whole number in the middle of the calculation.

The EG way produces a disproportionate "lump" of players with a PH of 10 for individual strokeplay.
I have come to view this as "wrong".

But I will be told, in very strong terms, that it can not be wrong, it is the correct way to do it in England. I am therefore "wrong" to hold my view.

It is "not wrong" in Scotland, however, to view the EG way as "wrong", I suppose.

(I am sure that I have expressed something similar to the above before. To all those with a sensitive nature, I would like to apologise for my repetitive bludgeoning)

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone for trying to enlighten this old fuzzy brain👍

I think I’ve finally seen where I’ve been going wrong, all along I’ve been under the impression that a simple thing to do was look at the chart and see my course h/c and the 95% calculation was taken from that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry guys, but you have completely lost me on this.

Unless I (and my club) have got the wrong end of the stick, you seem to be saying players are expected to actually work out a Course Handicap from their HI if they are playing a format that does not give a player their full handicap - and that just cannot be correct. We do not carry calculators about.

I have a course handicap given to me by the HI to CH conversion table for the course. I then work out my PH according to the format, rounding any deduction to be applied. And that’s it. It’s not difficult. In fact it’s very simple.