Course closures

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Where I play doesn't have temp greens. Being a resort course with a small membership likely helps as footfall is low when conditions are poor.
They did close Friday & Saturday as they anticipated a thaw.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We are open today with a full tee sheet.

No buggies but all trolleys allowed. It will be a mud bath by the end of the day.

D

Deleted member 15344

We are currently 12 holes with temp greens , still got that frozen layer around 3 inches below the surface but that’s expected to melt away , the wind is also helping at the moment , some heavy showers forecast overnight then it’s supposed to be a bit brighter by end of the week and hopefully be back on greens

Mandofred

Visit site
Just back from playing, 18 holes....but all temps. Guy I was playing with was wondering why they were on temp greens.....I told him it was still frozen under the top soft layer....he didn't really believe me until I took my driver and smacked it on the ground point first....clunk. Frozen about a half inch down. I wouldn't be surprised if they were on regular greens tomorrow. Not playing until Wed so I am thinking were are good to go at that time. No water issues since we didn't have any snow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Closed today since there's about 2 inches of snow. Once that melts I do fear for the course condition a little bit. It's been great up until now.
Finally opened today after yesterday's rain flushed the snow away finally. I actually think that's the first time in my lifetime I've seen snow remain on the ground for a full week. It felt weird not seeing snow on the back lawn this morning.

I'll be playing Wednesday afternoon since Tuesday is my last day of work before xmas. I'm sure the course will be absolute mush after a bunch of melted snow and rain, but I'll probably just carry a half set and bump it round just to get out. Not sure if there's any temp greens but they did see all the tee boxes have gone onto mats.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where I play, closed. My old club...open, and they are on a flood plain. Not impressed at all. Although with the rain today I wouldn't have gone. But a serious re-think will happen next year.

Swango1980

Visit site
Our course has been open most of the time. For example, last weekend it was -5 overnight, and played a winter doubles match on Saturday morning. Greens were like concrete, and if ball landed on them from a height, it would bounce miles over the back. It was entertaining golf.

Yet, we had a shot gun competition this week, 24 4-balls playing, and got a message at 7.30am saying the course was closed due to icy conditions. It was icy, but it would have been no worse than the weekend before (and it was open all during the ice week as well)

I wondered what prompted them to close the course, but not before. Worry about legal issues with so many on the course perhaps? Too many people playing, thus creating more damage maybe? I was trying to figure out how much money they'd lose. On the competition alone (which would have been most people playing that day to be fair), the entry fee would have been £576. Maybe £50 on bottled drink/snacks for round, in pro shop. Maybe £200 on food. Maybe £500 on drinks. All in all, closing the course will probably cost the course well over £1,000, even on a Winters day, maybe a lot more. So, I guess it is a big decision to make, and will be balanced on the cost of repairing any damage that may be caused, or maybe any legal issues a club might have if someone gets hurt?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most courses it’s the greens that suffer when it’s starting to thaw.
The root zone just under the grass thaws first as it’s Sand based.
So the frozen ground underneath is still solid.
If there is any lateral movement of the turf it shears the grass roots.
This won’t repair until spring when we get warmth. And disease can get into the roots.
It’s common practice to wait a few days to let the surface water drain through when the subsoil thaws out.
But golfers are impatient and as soon as it will take a stud they want to play ( me included)
But temps for two days does make perfect sense after such a long frozen spell.
The course no problem but your greens will thank you for the rest.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Open today after being closed for exactly a week. 13 holes are open all on normal greens, we have two holes out the back with severe slopes which I presume are too slippery to allow golfers on (H&S) but the routing means that 5 holes have to be closed.
Still, I'll be there in an hour for my fix.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still closed after the snow last weekend. The thaw and nearly 3" of rain since Sunday has left the course waterlogged. Thank goodness the top tracer is open so can still swing the clubs