Couple of problems

iGolf

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could give some advice on things to look for during my swing that might cause my two main problems.

1. topping the ball or hitting it thin.

2. I also hit the ball right a lot. From the moment of impact the ball is heading right and keeps heading right in a straight line. I know its not my aim, I’ve use a club on the ground to check.

thanks

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You really need to post a video of your swing to get the benefit of anyone's opinion. Is that possible?

If the ball starts right, the face is pointing right at impact. The ball will go where the face points, and will have side spin according to the swing path. If the ball flight is straight, then the face is square to your swing path.

Complicated enough?

iGolf

Club Champion
Visit site
sounds simple enough

The face of the club dictates the initial direction and the swing path dictates what happens once the ball is in the air.

So in my case, the face of the club must be aiming right at impact and I must be swinging the club on the line at which the face is aiming.

How the hell am I managing to do that??

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Whats happening is that your top half is bending/leaning too far to the right on your downswing. This will flatten out the swing plane making it very flat (fat and thin shots) and make the swingpath a lot more from in to out....

try this..

swing a club back about 3/4 back hold it there, bend right at the waist. See how the club flattens and moves more inside the line?

People often do this when they are trying to 'tuck the right elbow in'...when what they should be doing is actually tucking the elbow in and not bending. Bending at the waist comes through impact, not at the top of your swing.

hope this helps.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
sounds simple enough

The face of the club dictates the initial direction and the swing path dictates what happens once the ball is in the air.

So in my case, the face of the club must be aiming right at impact and I must be swinging the club on the line at which the face is aiming.

How the hell am I managing to do that??

Your using a club to line up...........but what are you lining up? If your lining your body to the target, thats wrong. You need your body, shoulders and legs parallel to the target. In other words draw an imaginary line from the ball to the target, pick something in front of the ball on that line, then stand parallel to that. I know lots of golfers who think you line up your body to the target and they hit the ball all over the place trying to get it to go where they want.