Counterbalanced putter grips

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who's got one/ tried one?

I bought a Scotty last week with one on as a desperate attempt to improve my crap putting by buying the "solution " 😂

Felt like a real revelation on the carpet at home and when it got its first outing on Tuesday, I bloody love it!! Smooth stroke, no "hit", no steering - very happy seeing the line on the ball stay lovely and stable as it rolled.

The one issue I had was a monster 60' uphill putt I left myself. With my old putters, I tended to hold the grip right at the top on long ones to feel that longer pendulum- with this one being longer anyway, I dug the heel in the turf and the ball trickled about 10 foot!!!!😂😂😂

Anyone still using? Binned it? Thoughts?

They seem like hard work to helicopter properly!!! 😉👍

Last edited:

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I've also tried them, and at first really liked them also.
But found that under stress/pressure in competition I struggled with feel for speed and then lost control of distance outside of 10ft. range.
Remember hitting a 30ft putt about 7ft short and missed... a 2-putt would've won the hole... and match! Not forgotten!
So sold it/them and went to Harold Swash putting studio in the end. Highly recommended.
Back to being truly madly deeply in love with a Newport 2.5 studio now... :)
best of luck to you either way!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've also tried them, and at first really liked them also.
But found that under stress/pressure in competition I struggled with feel for speed and then lost control of distance outside of 10ft. range.
Remember hitting a 30ft putt about 7ft short and missed... a 2-putt would've won the hole... and match! Not forgotten!
So sold it/them and went to Harold Swash putting studio in the end. Highly recommended.
Back to being truly madly deeply in love with a Newport 2.5 studio now... :)
best of luck to you either way!

Your putter is the exact one that had to go for its bad behaviour! 😠

D

Deleted Member 1156

The one issue I had was a monster 60' uphill putt I left myself. With my old putters, I tended to hold the grip right at the top on long ones to feel that longer pendulum- with this one being longer anyway, I dug the heel in the turf and the ball trickled about 10 foot!!!!😂😂😂

So just another 2 putt par then? :whistle:

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Your putter is the exact one that had to go for its bad behaviour! 

Yes, I figured! Which was kind of my point... :)
I'm not preaching, but to answer you question, I found the CB putters no better and wish I'd not bothered.
Sounds like you're a decent putter who's got some scar tissue and buying a new putter might help short term... but...
Then again - it's quite possible I'm completely wrong! And not for the 1st time! :)

Remind me of the many many mistakes I made, and £££ wasted - wise words from Vardon

"Do not be tempted to invest in a sample of each golfing invention as soon as it makes its appearance.
If you do, you will only complicate and spoil your game - and encumber your locker with useless rubbish."

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I figured! Which was kind of my point... :)
I'm not preaching, but to answer you question, I found the CB putters no better and wish I'd not bothered.
Sounds like you're a decent putter who's got some scar tissue and buying a new putter might help short term... but...
Then again - it's quite possible I'm completely wrong! And not for the 1st time! :)

Remind me of the many many mistakes I made, and £££ wasted - wise words from Vardon

"Do not be tempted to invest in a sample of each golfing invention as soon as it makes its appearance.
If you do, you will only complicate and spoil your game - and encumber your locker with useless rubbish."

Yep, 100% wrong.

Common knowledge that buying new gear lowers your scores 👍

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've tried counter balance putters and found the line was easy to hold but distances went on vacation....All over the place. Long and short, rarely correct....
I think it's something that you have to have patience with... I didn't have enough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have an Odyssey Tank #1 gathering dust. Rolled in a 15 footer on our putting green at an Odyssey demo day and got hooked in. I struggled with it on the course and distance control was all over the place and I lacked confidence on the short ones. It's available should anyone want to give it a go

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My putter is counterbalanced to a point.

When I was going through the fitting process at Raa HQ it turned out a 400g head have me the most stable stroke, but felt a touch heavy which affected distance control.

Add into the mix a 136g grip and the distance control came back.

Counterbalanced putters do work IMO.

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Counterbalanced putters have revolutionised my putting
Even as a junior, a 'standard' putter was never stable once I got hold of it. Would have the occasional round when I'd putt the lights out, but no consistency at all
Tried a Taylormade Daddy Long Legs about 3 years ago and never felt better on the greens
Have recently changed to a Scotty dual balanced Futura X, which feels heavier, so incredibly stable on short putts, gives so much confidence
Never had a problem with distance control with counter/dual balanced putters

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got a counterbalanced bettinardi BB32, love it on short putts but even after a year or so I still can struggle with distance control.

Im always toying with the idea of getting an anser style putter, but I think I'm probably a little unrealistic in expecting to two putt everything.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was yipping all my long putts (no short putt issues) and generally lost confidence putting, got a 38 inch counterbalanced Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7 about 18 months ago.

Took me a while to really get to grips with it and set the weights in the head and grip in a way that suited me and establishing how far down to grip (I go quite a way down) but am now putting with
confidence and success from all distances and have no issues with feel or distance control.

Have spent a good amount of time on the practice green to get there.

My regular playing partners (over 10 years) reckon I am back as good if not better than ever and I actually feel that I could go back to a regular putter now but no plans - it it ain't broke don't fix it !

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a ping karsten zing tr putter and was great for a while but just lost confidence on short putts as it didnt feel stable through the stroke. Got an Odyssey 2 ball fang tank putter in 35 inches and its been great. So much better control over all distances, even with it being winter