Countdown...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thtas 100% correct... And seeing as you have just read right through this thread you'll no doubt have seen how I hit mine.... I'm just wondering how you hit yours...... Being that you keeps things so simple in your game... I find it hard to believe that if you need to play a fade that you don't have a thought process of what to do when a required shot is needed...

You play golf your way, I'll play golf my way. Good luck.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
200x200px-ZC-b2fdb6ac_lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s360x240-181194-580.gif

That's not a very flattering pic james:D

I've got a question for you. Do you advocate 1 stock shot shape? Or shaping on demand ?

If its the second, how many handicap golfers do you know who can do that?

(2 questions):thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
One stock shot is good enough to play any course :thup:

I think playing for a straight shot erring on a slight fade is good OR playing for a slight draw erring on a block is good (one is looking for an open face and the other is looking for a closed face, it's advanced to be able to do both).

Pulling the ball left or hooking are both bad. Most golfers of 10 h/cap or less normally know how to create both shots, doing it perfectly on demand every time is a totally different thing - even the pros can't do it (Tiger blocked more drives than any other golfer for an entire decade, Mickelson is more like the Red Arrows some days).

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most golfers of 10 h/cap of less normally know how to create both shots, doing it perfectly on demand every time is a totally different thing

If I want a fade - I can hit a fade.
If I want a draw - I can hit a fade.

I know the theory behind it, and sometimes I can do it, but I'd never rely on getting a draw if there's trouble where the ball is starting.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Kid.

A couple of questions for you.

Before last Weekend, did you ever practice hitting a Fade?

Did you actually work out what was happening with your ball striking from last weekend?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kid.

A couple of questions for you.

Before last Weekend, did you ever practice hitting a Fade?

Did you actually work out what was happening with your ball striking from last weekend?

Long before last weekend I was playing a left to right shaped shot .. I won't say a fade as it was a big over the top move with a lot of compensations.... I then went for lessons which has seen me go from 14 last season to 10 this year... But I now have a slight issue with early extension causing a push a hook and the odd shank..... The reason I posted this was to see if a fade would get me at least a little more in play for next weekend rather than having a two way miss going on I could at least take trouble on the right side of our course out of play....

Last weekend my ball stoking was good on the good shots but as I said I'm novo g into the ball with my hips which is causing my misses at the moment.... I know what's going on I just don't want it happening on the course next weekend if I can help it on some way.......

I can hit a left to right ball whenever I feel like it..... It comes easier to me than being able to draw the ball.... But the whole point of the lessons was a swingpath issue that I had to address or I was never going to improve..... A draw and a proper fade can both be hit with an inside path which is my main goal.....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In that case, surely the priority is to sort those hips out to such an extent that you are confident in your 'proper' swing. If you don't have confidence in your swing, you may as well not turn up!

If you find that you can''t find a solution, then going the (push) fade way might be a temporary fix.

You could, of course, be like almost all of the rest of us, accept that you had a bad swing weekend, and be happy in the knowledge/hope that it won't happen this weekend.

This is where the uber-technical analysis approach of your own swing has problems. All well and good knowing what is happening, but if you get so deep into what is happening, you tend to just get tense (tighten up) and all rhythm disappears. Better, as a short term band-aid, to find some thought that modifies the fault back to the predictable 98% shot. The change to a fade seems a bit of an extreme version of that!

Of course, the guys that don't give a monkey's don't have your problem, though often don't have the ability to fix a fault mid-round either.

Whatever you do, make sure you play 'relaxed'.

Slightly strange name for the competition though - unless part of an Order of Merit series or needs qualifying to take part. Season Finale would be a better name imo.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
The main issue is the hips pal....At the moment their what's causing my misses... I set up square but when tge hips move forward towards the ball I have either a shank,ill save it with my hands or the club gets stuck behind me and I push it.... The reason I asked about the fade is that I can at least stop maybe the shank and the hook.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The main issue is the hips pal....At the moment their what's causing my misses... I set up square but when tge hips move forward towards the ball I have either a shank,ill save it with my hands or the club gets stuck behind me and I push it.... The reason I asked about the fade is that I can at least stop maybe the shank and the hook.....

I was in your very situation when i started lesson. Bad shot being a pull, with a slice with the driver. My pro wanted me to work on better rotation as he pointed out, poor rotation, in his opinion, caused the shanks i was having. As a visual aid, something that helped me was on YouTube funnily enough.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ON143z1lZ0

There's a good article by Tom Watson here too:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2012-11/tom-watson-lower-body

I've worked pretty hard at getting my swing sequence correct by starting the downswing with hip rotation rather than the slide I had.

Here's another video that helped me:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08rpqW2Z9Vw

Watch the video at about 10 seconds where Luke Donald begins his downswing. Watch how, when his hips unwind, his arms drop nicely on plane. By the time he reaches impact, his hips are well through the shot.

image.jpg

When working on the 1st video, I had to be careful not to allow my shoulders to spin out with your hips. Otherwise you're in pull city.

Now I just focus on rotating my hips and letting my arms take care of themselves. I'm hitting the most consistent iron shots I've ever struck at the minute thanks to sorting my sequence in the downswing out.

Woods are still a work in progress but are still more consistent than they were.

Hope this helps in some way, shape or form. I know everyone is different but its helped me for sure :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While you couild well be right Gareth - and I'm sure Kid is happy enough to absorb or reject as per his needs...

I'm just challenging his head!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
While you couild well be right Gareth - and I'm sure Kid is happy enough to absorb or reject as per his needs...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
In that case, surely the priority is to sort those hips out to such an extent that you are confident in your 'proper' swing. If you don't have confidence in your swing, you may as well not turn up!

If you find that you can''t find a solution, then going the (push) fade way might be a temporary fix.

You could, of course, be like almost all of the rest of us, accept that you had a bad swing weekend, and be happy in the knowledge/hope that it won't happen this weekend.

If it were just this weekend gone pal I could accept it... But Iv had theses issues for a few months now.... Ever since I had the lessons and my swing has changed to an inside path Iv had the 3 misses I talk of above.....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was in your very situation when i started lesson. Bad shot being a pull, with a slice with the driver. My pro wanted me to work on better rotation as he pointed out, poor rotation, in his opinion, caused the shanks i was having. As a visual aid, something that helped me was on YouTube funnily enough.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ON143z1lZ0

There's a good article by Tom Watson here too:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2012-11/tom-watson-lower-body

I've worked pretty hard at getting my swing sequence correct by starting the downswing with hip rotation rather than the slide I had.

Here's another video that helped me:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08rpqW2Z9Vw

Watch the video at about 10 seconds where Luke Donald begins his downswing. Watch how, when his hips unwind, his arms drop nicely on plane. By the time he reaches impact, his hips are well through the shot.

View attachment 7572

When working on the 1st video, I had to be careful not to allow my shoulders to spin out with your hips. Otherwise you're in pull city.

Now I just focus on rotating my hips and letting my arms take care of themselves. I'm hitting the most consistent iron shots I've ever struck at the minute thanks to sorting my sequence in the downswing out.

Woods are still a work in progress but are still more consistent than they were.

Hope this helps in some way, shape or form. I know everyone is different but its helped me for sure :thup:

Cheers Gar... Ill have a root through them later

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Totally agree Foxy :thup:

I can empathise with Kid as he is in a similar situation as I was. Just thought I'd post up what I felt helped me the most and maybe offer him a slightly different way of looking at things.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it were just this weekend gone pal I could accept it... But Iv had theses issues for a few months now.... Ever since I had the lessons and my swing has changed to an inside path Iv had the 3 misses I talk of above.....

And in that time, you've come down about 3 shots!

The swing problem may be the hips, but the major problem is (in) the head!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
And in that time, you've come down about 3 shots!

The swing problem may be the hips, but the major problem is (in) the head!

I lost 2.5 of those though in one competition.... And funnily enough the same morning I set up for a fade with my driver and 3 wood......
But its the blasted shanking every now and again that's annoying the crap out of me....