Could I be fitted for wrong shafts?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
At 60mph head speed the shafts will make little or no difference, many prominent golfers question the difference shafts make full stop, when conpared to strike.
IMO if anything it has a greater influence. A low swing speed will normally mean low spin and lower launch. Looking at a static fitting you would want something that is going to launch it higher. But this is one of the problems with fitting in shops. They get you hitting a 7i, you might get a good flight with that club. Wait until you get the long irons in your hands and you can’t get them in the air.
Outside of Ctaper the PX is pretty much the lowest launching spinning shaft on the market... combined with what will inevitably be low lofted irons this is a distaster...

Do you know what your numbers were from the fitting? The 6.0 is also about 125g and at 60mph with a 6iron I’d have expected you to be in a shaft around 80-90g at most....

Something isn’t right

This is exactly my point earlier in the thread. Yes there is not a bible that says with this swing speed you should use this flex of shaft, but to me common sense says from what I have read that he will not be able to use that shaft, especially in the longer irons. He said he wanted something that will launch it higher and has a low swing speed in the static fitting region of a senior flex. I just can't work out in my head why he would have been fitted into one the lowest launching, lowest spin shafts on the market and in that flex too.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
While its clear it is a strange fit, arent we all just jumping to massive conclusions here?

Everyone is calling out the fitter, based on having no insight what so ever, we dont even know what irons the shafts are going in? No one was at the fitting, no one took part in or overheard the conversations between the fitter and player? Yet we're all experts in swing, strike and launch, with nothing more than a swing speed and a shaft choice.

Ernie, go back to the store, tell them your worries, ask for a second opinion or second fit, in the store from the manager. Given the fact the clubs are ordered and built to spec, it seems unlikely they mis-fit you deliberately to sell stock, and not even the single most incompetent fitter would come up with that fit without some reason? If the fit was on trackman there's every chance they still have the data and can talk you through?

It seems the fitters biggest failure is not explaining the reasons for the choices in the first place, it doesnt necessarily mean they are wrong...

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last week I played with a friend of a friend who I hadn’t played with before. He had just been fitted for a new set of Mavrik irons by a golf centre and it was their second time out … after an apparently dire first outing. It was dire again … his shots barely got off the ground. I asked him what flex the shafts were and he said stiff … but to my eye, his swing speed was too low. I didn’t say anything and I might be totally wrong … but I just knew his answer was going to be stiff before he said it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
While its clear it is a strange fit, arent we all just jumping to massive conclusions here?

Everyone is calling out the fitter, based on having no insight what so ever, we dont even know what irons the shafts are going in? No one was at the fitting, no one took part in or overheard the conversations between the fitter and player? Yet we're all experts in swing, strike and launch, with nothing more than a swing speed and a shaft choice.

Ernie, go back to the store, tell them your worries, ask for a second opinion or second fit, in the store from the manager. Given the fact the clubs are ordered and built to spec, it seems unlikely they mis-fit you deliberately to sell stock, and not even the single most incompetent fitter would come up with that fit without some reason? If the fit was on trackman there's every chance they still have the data and can talk you through?

It seems the fitters biggest failure is not explaining the reasons for the choices in the first place, it doesnt necessarily mean they are wrong...

Relax. The OP said they were fitted for PX in stiff, presumably 6.0. That is a high end, strong player's shaft and the OP's quoted swing speed is a mile away from that. AG has a reputation for dodgy fittings based on sales incentives. If someone said their 83 year old granny had just ordered a Subaru Impreza Turbo, I wouldn't need to ask about her driving ability to wonder "Is that really a good choice?".

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id say - if you preferred everything you felt and saw with the alternative shafts and not what you were fitted for - contact AG, ask for the different shafts to be fitted and see their response. Chances are, Mizuno will build the clubs in a few hours the week before you're due to recieve them. They might not even be made yet!

Have you parted with money yet?

Ernie18

Visit site
Thanks every one for your replies.

Update

Since this post I have spoken to 3 PGA golf pros who fit clubs. They all said pretty much what everyone here has said. So I spoke to a different American Golf. Absolute great guy. He said the same thing. He then asked where I had been fitted and I told him. He then said we need to sort this one way or another.
I went to see him and tried the club I had been fitted for with the exact shaft. Swing speed 68 amd not a great ball flight. Felt really heavy and no feel to it when hitting the ball. Almost felt like when you thin it!!
Swapped to Modus 105 regular swing speed went up the ball went higher and further exactly what I asked for.
Measured me and he couldn’t understand why I was given 1/4 inch longer shafts as I come in the standard bracket. Nor could he understand why 2 extra wraps under the grip or why none of this was ever discussed with me even the choice of grip
Outcome they are speaking to area manager and asking for order to be altered
Modus 105 regular
No extra wraps
Standard length shafts
All grey gold pride grips
Fingers crossed this doesn’t affect the time scale as it’s already coming up to 6 weeks
Told them if they have already started the build they need to halt it or I will be cancelling the order
Thanks again everyone for the input

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Update

Since this post I have spoken to 3 PGA golf pros who fit clubs. They all said pretty much what everyone here has said. So I spoke to a different American Golf. Absolute great guy. He said the same thing. He then asked where I had been fitted and I told him. He then said we need to sort this one way or another.
I went to see him and tried the club I had been fitted for with the exact shaft. Swing speed 68 amd not a great ball flight. Felt really heavy and no feel to it when hitting the ball. Almost felt like when you thin it!!
Swapped to Modus 105 regular swing speed went up the ball went higher and further exactly what I asked for.
Measured me and he couldn’t understand why I was given 1/4 inch longer shafts as I come in the standard bracket. Nor could he understand why 2 extra wraps under the grip or why none of this was ever discussed with me even the choice of grip
Modus 105 regular
No extra wraps
Standard length shafts
Fingers crossed this doesn’t affect the time scale as it’s already coming up to 6 weeks
Told them if they have already started the build they need to halt it or I will be cancelling the order

Great result - and great shafts too. I’ve had good and bad AG experiences in the same store at different times so this comes as no shock to me. Great to hear there’s a positive experience second time around. It shouldnt happen but sounds resolved. Good man.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

Update

Modus 105 regular
No extra wraps
Standard length shafts
Modus 105 is an excellent shaft and definitely more like it for what your after. Luckily you checked and sorted it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Update

Modus 105 regular
No extra wraps
Standard length shafts

That sounds much better: less weight, softer flex and better launch. Midweight shafts are very popular now, including at Tour level.

Dannyc

Visit site
I’m 5 handicapper with a fast swing I got fitted by a very well known professional for driver which I hated from the moment I got it then Friday I played in a open and got drawn with a bloke who was playing off 22 and had a half pretty slow swing I noticed his shaft was the same as mine so I asked him if I was fitted he said he was I told him the story and we both agreed that there was no way we should have same shafts
We may be wrong obviously but something ain’t right

Ernie18

Visit site
I’m 5 handicapper with a fast swing I got fitted by a very well known professional for driver which I hated from the moment I got it then Friday I played in a open and got drawn with a bloke who was playing off 22 and had a half pretty slow swing I noticed his shaft was the same as mine so I asked him if I was fitted he said he was I told him the story and we both agreed that there was no way we should have same shafts
We may be wrong obviously but something ain’t right
Everyone is different therefore need different shafts.
With the stiff one I was swinging 68 average with the lighter regular 78. Like I said to the guy I’m 50 now and not gonna be getting any quicker or younger so the one I’m getting is now better

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Update

Modus 105 regular
No extra wraps
Standard length shafts

Really glad you spoke to them and getting this sorted. Like I said before I have had problems with that company before and custom fits that I told them are not correct, but I did find one good one.

I think this is just a problem with a lot of golf superstores. Golf Galaxy over here can be just as bad. When I went to look for some new irons what they were telling me is the biggest load of crap ever. Found out that the shop assistants get a week long course on fitting clubs then sent into the shop to work. Also some manafacturers at different times give incentives to them for selling their stuff. I imagine that American Golf are the same.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found out this week that AG have a monthly top 10 of items, clubs, shafts ect that offers them more commission if they sell them

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found out this week that AG have a monthly top 10 of items, clubs, shafts ect that offers them more commission if they sell them

I thought so, as I said I know that Golf Galaxy do that. Someone who I know that worked there when paying their way through College told me that when Callaway released Epic clubs they where giving a $250 voucher for Callaway products to whoever sold the most from that range. So basically they would get a half price Epic driver if that is what they wanted.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought so, as I said I know that Golf Galaxy do that. Someone who I know that worked there when paying their way through College told me that when Callaway released Epic clubs they where giving a $250 voucher for Callaway products to whoever sold the most from that range. So basically they would get a half price Epic driver if that is what they wanted.
That's quite a different 'issue' to fitting 'the wrong shafts', which i'm certain was the case - having found PX5.5s too stiff/harsh (off links turf) when I was swinging my best. Manufacturers are generally only concerned with overall sales, not the sort of specific sales as seems to have been the case for the OP's experience.
Excellent to see that OP's concerns are likely now resolved - excellent (if recovery) service imo!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's quite a different 'issue' to fitting 'the wrong shafts', which i'm certain was the case - having found PX5.5s too stiff/harsh (off links turf) when I was swinging my best. Manufacturers are generally only concerned with overall sales, not the sort of specific sales as seems to have been the case for the OP's experience.
Excellent to see that OP's concerns are likely now resolved - excellent (if recovery) service imo!

Without a doubt. I am happy to see that AG is going ot sort him out and mae sure he gets the correct clubs.