Could I be fitted for wrong shafts?

Ernie18

Visit site
Hi

I was fitted for new clubs a month or so ago. They are due to come in a couple of weeks.

At the weekend I went to a golf shot and bought a couple of Mizuno wedges. Whilst trying them there was a club there the same as I’ve ordered I asked if I could have a try. It was a stiff shaft which I have been fitted for. He said to me let me out a regular shaft on that for you as your swing isn’t particularly fast or your ball flight high. When he put the regular shaft on the ball was going higher and carrying further. My swing speed was mid 60s so not so fast.
The shaft I was fitted for was a project x 6.0 steel stiff

The one thing I said when getting fitted was for a higher ball flight.

Having seen reviews in the shaft I was fitted for they all seem to say the shaft is for a lower ball flight?

What would be the reason for the stiffer shaft?

Never been fitted before

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you get fit?

when I used the Mizuno system, my club head speed was 75ish and I got put into Project X 5, to to be in the 60s and have a PX6 seems a bit suspect

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes you could have been fitted for the wrong shafts, depends on the fitter. Were you? possibly, certainly sounds like it based on what youve said

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you sure that they are Project X 6.0? I am just sat here thinking about it and not even the most clueless halfwit in American Golf would put you in that. Looking at the True Temper site if your swinging a 6i 65MPH you should be looking at senior flex shafts. The 6.0 is like a Stiff+, little bit stiffer than a normal stiff, but not as stiff as an X-flex

Ernie18

Visit site
Are you sure that they are Project X 6.0? I am just sat here thinking about it and not even the most clueless halfwit in American Golf would put you in that. Looking at the True Temper site if your swinging a 6i 65MPH you should be looking at senior flex shafts. The 6.0 is like a Stiff+, little bit stiffer than a normal stiff, but not as stiff as an X-flex
Absolutely positive just looked at my fit sheet.
I never thought anything of it until I went for some wedges (not fitted) at the weekend and tried it.
If you are fitted wrong is there anything that can be done?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
In this day and age why are people still concerned with what swing speed suits what flex.
Swing speed has jack to do with what shafts you use.
How you load the shaft and a desired feel are the main fitting criteria.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
There's a bit missing, how were you hitting with those shafts during the fitting?
Most fitters worth their salt will review how you are hitting the built clubs when they arrive

Ernie18

Visit site
There's a bit missing, how were you hitting with those shafts during the fitting?
Most fitters worth their salt will review how you are hitting the built clubs when they arrive
Yes I will be going in the fitting room when they arrive. If and I feel they could be wrong I won’t be leaving with them.
If I’m fitted wrong then surely that’s ok?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
In this day and age why are people still concerned with what swing speed suits what flex.
Swing speed has jack to do with what shafts you use.
How you load the shaft and a desired feel are the main fitting criteria.

I know what you are saying and I agree 100%. But if you are swinging a 7i 65MPH and needing something to help you get the ball in the air then a Project X 6.0 really is not the right shaft.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Ernie, welcome along and yeah appreciate it’s a contentious first post.

Mid 60s with a mid iron, Project X 6.

On the face of it that would not make sense but we might be missing info and none of us were there. What distance were you achieving? Tight dispersion? Good flight? Where were you fitted?

It’s easy to jump to a conclusion based on incomplete data. If you’d like the considered opinion of a load of armchair fitters, you’re in the right place ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would you do in my situation right now?
It's very difficult for a bunch of strangers on a forum to advise you on the quality of fit and service you got when we wasn't there. AG have got serious form for poor fittings but they might have got you spot on. If it where me I'd have a fitting on the same clubs with either the pro I have lessons off or a more reputable fitter and see if there's any big differences in spec they recommend

Ernie18

Visit site
It's very difficult for a bunch of strangers on a forum to advise you on the quality of fit. AG have got serious form for poor fittings but they might have got you spot on. If it where me I'd have a fitting on the same clubs with either the pro I have lessons off or a more reputable fitter and see if there's any big differences
And if there is a difference bear in mind its now 5 weeks in and due in a week or so and finance all in place?
Do I have to take them out of the shop if they are not right?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
And if there is a difference bear in mind its now 5 weeks in and due in a week or so and finance all in place?
Do I have to take them out of the shop if they are not right?
I'll leave that question for some one else as I'm not sure.