Correct grip placement

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
There are plenty of choices as regards how we grip the club (Vardon, interlocking, baseball etc), but as for grip placement on the club is there a right and wrong place as to where your hands should be?

I'm not talking about choking down on a wedge to manufacture a shot, more full shots. Should your top hand (Left for RH golfer) be placed right at the top of the grip or should there be a gap, of x" so that the butt section of the grip is showing above the hands?

The reason I ask is I've noticed that just lately, when taking my grip, my top hand (left) is right at the end of the grip (No butt secton showing).Last night, when I finished my practice session, I tried moving my hand down, so about 1/2" was showing above my hands. The result was the club sat better at address (lie wise) as the toe was a little lower and grip felt more comfortabe.

This is probably one of those questions where there is no right or wrong answer, but I thought I'd throw it out to the forum to gauge opinion :thup:

Grip to the ens, or have an amount of the butt section showing?

Last edited:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played with a guy who was an ex international and every time he picked up a club he put two fingers side by side across the top of the grip then held his left to the fingers for placement of his hand. Seemed to work for him.....

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I place my top hand so it is just below the lower one of the 2 lines around the butt end.

Personal preference really e.g. Sergio seems to grip well down.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I try to leave around 1/2" sticking out the top. I used to grip right at the very top and always used to wear a hole in my glove on the fleshy part.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I try to leave around 1/2" sticking out the top. I used to grip right at the very top and always used to wear a hole in my glove on the fleshy part.

You have just hit the nail on the head Gary!!!

My last 2 sets of gloves have worn out in this exact area!