Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s apathy like this which keeps poor governments in charge and a poor press not questioning them.

Apathy - Apathy is a lack of feeling, emotion, interest, or concern about something. Apathy is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concern, excitement, motivation, or passion. An apathetic individual has an absence of interest in or concern about emotional, social, spiritual, philosophical, or physical life and the world.

I often wonder if you're as rude in person or just behind a keyboard.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No ones going to accuse him of being a dictator for telling people they have to stay inside, the lowest form of intelligence should be able to understand that order in the current circumstances unfortunately for us there appear to be a lot who don’t fall into that category in this country
It’s quite clear all the people on this thread that are up Boris ass and die hard tories who think he’s done everything he could have done so far
Here’s a reality check for you... he’s messed up

I guess you must have the proof.

sussexhacker

Visit site
I guess you must have the proof.
Not attending the meetings early on

Not imposing lockdown earlier when it was clear it was necessary

Not having stockpiles of PPE (not specifically Boris but the tories have been in power long enough that it’s their fault)

Not actually imposing lockdown, it’s blatantly obvious a large number of people have ignored the rules

How many more do you want before you admit he’s not handled it perfectly

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The police don’t generally fingerprint for thefts from motor vehicles. Haven’t done for donkey’s years. You see? Something else you don’t understand and yet see fit to criticise.

There’s a real theme developing here, the most worrying of which is the fact that you seem quite willing to dismiss 29 years of policing experience as irrelevant because it doesn’t suit your argument to accept that, just maybe, I might know what I’m talking about.

With the greatest respect, as a 'client' he is permitted to criticise. He has an expectation based on days gone by. Maybe his complaint would be better directed at the Home Secretary and/or the local Police Commissioner. Equally, as a service provider maybe you could take it on board too in a more customer friendly way.... just saying...

D

Deleted member 1740

You're confusing what I think of Boris and his performance with what I think about different journo's and interviewers. If that piece had come from someone who has no (potential) axe to grind I'd take it seriously. Obviously you're not quite so discerning.

I could say that maybe I'm not quite so naïve as some who'll take anything from any source.... BTW, I think the govt's performance from before lockdown, right the way through leaves a lot to be desired, and that's me being polite.

Are you suggesting he cant separate his personal life and his professional career? Do you really think he's only reporting to get back at symonds or Johnson?

I know you're better than that.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

PM's do not attend all meetings; relevant Cabinet minister chairs specific scenarios in their sphere

Says who?

Not having stockpiles of PPE (not specifically Boris but the tories have been in power long enough that it’s their fault)

The Trusts are given the money they decide their procurement policy/sourcing; some had plenty some under estimated

Not actually imposing lockdown, it’s blatantly obvious a large number of people have ignored the rules

Democracy, Policing by consent in the absence of specific laws and regulations.

Try harder. Nothing more than your views; just don't declare them as facts.

Not always wise to make assumptions about political leaning.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
That's all well and good but do you suggest the Police should not move people along who are breaking social distance rules in public parks. I saw a news item today where they did just that and it was very effective.

No, not at all. If the police are tasked with policing that area, or are there and see it, then yes, Police it. But don't forget, what you see from afar might not tell the whole story. Experienced officers may foresee a worse scenario about to develop if the ticket issue is pushed on a large group who all consider there is nothing wrong being done. It is a difficult business enforcing this type of "offence" . Ordinary people stressed by the lockdown may too readily see plod abusing their powers etc etc. Especially if they are expecting an imminent change speculated by the media.
It's not always black and white SR.

As an aside - months from now, it will be interesting to see how many getting tickets , pay them. Of those that don't , how many get followed up with summonses and court appearances.
Tickets given out doesn't mean that they are all going to pay a fine.

Wolf

Visit site

So many falsehoods in this post...

It is common for a PM not to chair ot even attend Cobra meetings, often is done by the relevant secretary of state for that issue.

PPE whether people like it nor not the stockpile issues have always been direct responsibility of the NHS trusts and their logistics teams.

Imposing lockdown or otherwise wouldn't have stopped breaches at all, you can't stop ignorant, selfish or self entitled dickheads from doing what they want to do. Even with a harsher lockdown people will still breach it, because our country is full of people that know best or simply think it doesn't apply to them.

He hasn't handled it perfectly, there are lots the government has got wrong but your quoting things that simply are matter of opinion not fact

Edit: @drdel literally just beat me to it ?

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I was on holiday in Mexico during late February, I think we landed at Manchester on the 1st March iirc.
The Coronavirus wasn't even a subject of discussion while we were away on holiday, never mind considering a lockdown. It sort of got a bit of coverage on the US news channels but I think that was only because there were some US citizens stuck on a cruise liner.
BJ should have maybe asked you and your crystal ball into the Cobra meetings he didn't attend ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, not at all. If the police are tasked with policing that area, or are there and see it, then yes, Police it. But don't forget, what you see from afar might not tell the whole story. Experienced officers may foresee a worse scenario about to develop if the ticket issue is pushed on a large group who all consider there is nothing wrong being done. It is a difficult business enforcing this type of "offence" . Ordinary people stressed by the lockdown may too readily see plod abusing their powers etc etc. Especially if they are expecting an imminent change speculated by the media.
It's not always black and white SR.

As an aside - months from now, it will be interesting to see how many getting tickets , pay them. Of those that don't , how many get followed up with summonses and court appearances.
Tickets given out doesn't mean that they are all going to pay a fine.
Dont unpaid penalties end up with going to court?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Are you suggesting he cant separate his personal life and his professional career? Do you really think he's only reporting to get back at symonds or Johnson?

I know you're better than that.

I'm saying there's a potential for him not to be as objective as he should be. Would he do it deliberately? I don't know him well enough to say yes or no about any biases he may have. Is there a possibility of him having a subconscious bias? Yes there is.

Do you know he's being 100% objective, or even spinning it a little to make good copy?

Like I said, from another journo I'd give it more credibility.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Okay. Ball in your court now.

Your garden shed gets broken into, and a lawnmower for which you don’t have a serial number is stolen.

There are no forensic opportunities, you have no CCTV, and because the theft happened overnight there were no witnesses, as you and your neighbours were all tucked up in bed.

What, exactly, would you have the police do? They’re human beings, not magicians. All you will ever get in those circumstances is a crime number because, in the absence of a crime pattern, evidence or intelligence there is nothing to investigate.

Billy
There is only one reason for this method of investigation. There are not enough officers as against the prevalence of the crimes.
Because of that, prioritising is practised and so officers do not attend.
I won't go into the benefits of them attending as they did in the past, but it is not the fact that what happens now is the best way to deal with the burglary.
As for failing to trace property which is traceable ( the phone example) , that is not right. It may be policy but it isn't the right way to police.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
With the greatest respect, as a 'client' he is permitted to criticise. He has an expectation based on days gone by. Maybe his complaint would be better directed at the Home Secretary and/or the local Police Commissioner. Equally, as a service provider maybe you could take it on board too in a more customer friendly way.... just saying...

I absolutely accept people have a right to criticise. But when it goes beyond criticism to the point where someone maintains they are right, and that a huge amount of job related experience counts for nothing, it really grinds my gears.

I’m a grizzled old cop I’m afraid, and when it comes to customer service in the face of criticism which is very often unwarranted, I’m afraid the sunny disposition and cheery smile was beaten out of me some time ago.

I should avoid political threads - when they start to involve my job they invariably become bad for my health and, as a direct consequence, everyone else’s.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
There was a film sequence on the BBC News showing a Police van with a loudhailer telling people in a park to pack up and go home, everyone was packing up and going home. Unless I am just making it up.

Looked extremely like a park in Hackney, the area that the police posted that they were fighting a losing battle trying to clear. It's in the link I attached.

And yes you are making it up; because nowhere does that film footage show anyone going home; it follows no-one to their front door. They will appear to clear up, walk a little way in the opposite direction & set up again. If the police stop to directly deal with one family, the issuing of the tickets & paperwork will buy everyone else half an hour in the sun. If one lot refuse details then the police either walk away or they arrest them, which takes them out of the park for the rest of the day, buying the whole park a free one. If you want to stop that, you go down mob handed, clear the entire park in one sweep, post bodies at the entry points & have a few roving patrols inside to catch anyone that's bunked in over the fence. I know this first hand.

If you think what you saw in that video was a park being successfully cleared then you really do not have a clue as to how this sort of thing works.

sussexhacker

Visit site
I was on holiday in Mexico during late February, I think we landed at Manchester on the 1st March iirc.
The Coronavirus wasn't even a subject of discussion while we were away on holiday, never mind considering a lockdown.
BJ should have maybe asked you and your crystal ball into the Cobra meetings he didn't attend ?
So because it wasn’t being talked about in the media that means Boris can’t do anything about it?

If only it was clearly a problem in other countries and he could have foreseen an issue coming in through our open borders

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Apathy - Apathy is a lack of feeling, emotion, interest, or concern about something. Apathy is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concern, excitement, motivation, or passion. An apathetic individual has an absence of interest in or concern about emotional, social, spiritual, philosophical, or physical life and the world.

I often wonder if you're as rude in person or just behind a keyboard.
You’re quite old to need to look up the definition for apathy but the word isn’t always used in its harshest terms. In this case it was just to point out your apathy in allowing the government to do things unquestioned, which is undeniably your view here. If you’re so easily offended I would suggest you don’t discuss such weighty matters.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looked extremely like a park in Hackney, the area that the police posted that they were fighting a losing battle trying to clear. It's in the link I attached.

And yes you are making it up; because nowhere does that film footage show anyone going home; it follows no-one to their front door. They will appear to clear up, walk a little way in the opposite direction & set up again. If the police stop to directly deal with one family, the issuing of the tickets & paperwork will buy everyone else half an hour in the sun. If one lot refuse details then the police either walk away or they arrest them, which takes them out of the park for the rest of the day, buying the whole park a free one. If you want to stop that, you go down mob handed, clear the entire park in one sweep, post bodies at the entry points & have a few roving patrols inside to catch anyone that's bunked in over the fence. I know this first hand.

If you think what you saw in that video was a park being successfully cleared then you really do not have a clue as to how this sort of thing works.
Wheres that water cannon when you want it ??

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take say a family of 5 who have been isolating in their high rise flat for weeks, and surely virus free.
Should they be entitled to some exercise and maybe a picnic in the local park together ?.
As long as they social distance from others :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.