Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21258

Did you get a qualified pool measurer to measure it, or are you just guessing with no qualifications?

You sure it was 33 feet and the memory failing;)

Was it a British or English pool, asking for a friend:D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you get a qualified pool measurer to measure it, or are you just guessing with no qualifications?

You sure it was 33 feet and the memory failing;)

Was it a British or English pool, asking for a friend:D

Guessing

Definitely yards as I refuse to go metric

English - deep South East

+ floundered the last few feet ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
So you condemn something that I said as an opinion, no more or no less, then offer an opinion yourself, no more or no less.

You must be rather naive to think that the source of employment does not affect an opinion.

Not when professional medical men and scientists of international repute are asked to advise on life and death matters , such as a pandemic.
Your cynicism is OTT, and begs the question that may be asked of you, as a medical man- would your advice be coloured by who is paying you and their wishes, or would you be a true clinician?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not when professional medical men and scientists of international repute are asked to advise on life and death matters , such as a pandemic.
Your cynicism is OTT, and begs the question that may be asked of you, as a medical man- would your advice be coloured by who is paying you and their wishes, or would you be a true clinician?

I have answered that question already. If you did not understand the answer then that is your problem.

Some SAGE members are not scientists or medics of international repute, some of those outside SAGE trying to persuade the Govt to do differently are, but were ignored. The result of the political decisions taken along with SGAE advice can be seen in the pile of bodies, amongst the highest per capita in the region. If that doesn't make you skeptical, then again that is your problem.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

This is the core of professionalism and expertise. Thankfully not a game of CV waving a on a Golf Forum. Respected experts are engaged because it is expected that they will use their knowledge and experience in an objective and considered manner on the problem/issue at hand.

If they are seen to become a "gun for hire" the reputation and trust dies and their life and career as an expert in the field is likely to be very short lived. Most professional and honest experts do not engage in childish arguments of the "my Dad's bigger than your Dad" style. SAGE members will have opinions that differ at the margins and their advice may/will changes as the environment, society and medical knowledge evolves with ongoing research in the area.

It is entirely right that experts, politicians and decision-makers are held to account rigorously to maintain trust in the outcomes.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the core of professionalism and expertise. Thankfully not a game of CV waving a on a Golf Forum. Respected experts are engaged because it is expected that they will use their knowledge and experience in an objective and considered manner on the problem/issue at hand.

If they are seen to become a "gun for hire" the reputation and trust dies and their life and career as an expert in the field is likely to be very short lived. Most professional and honest experts do not engage in childish arguments of the "my Dad's bigger than your Dad" style. SAGE members will have opinions that differ at the margins and their advice may/will changes as the environment, society and medical knowledge evolves with ongoing research in the area.

It is entirely right that experts, politicians and decision-makers are held to account rigorously to maintain trust in the outcomes.

OK, then explain to me why the UK embarked on a herd immunity stragey and stopped contact tracing, both of which appealed the international experts and pandemic-experienced public health doctors and scientists at WHO. That was a damn sight greater than differing at the margins.

It is naive to imagine that different groups of experts will arrive at similar conclusions just because they are experts. If that is true, all the efforts made to properly balance advisory committees and peer review work is unnecessary because expertise is just like gravity, it always acts in the same direction. The inclusion of certain types of expert, for example the behavioural psychologists, will clearly change the slant of advice. So to will the lack of certain other types, for example virology or molecular biology. Nobody on SAGE was an expert in vaccine development.

The "gun for hire" stuff suggests that I think some of these people are knowingly partisan. I made it clear that I did not, but that there were inevitable and unavoidable biases introduced by being from within Govt.

You are not waving your CV. You are waving something else, and you should stop doing it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK, then explain to me why the UK embarked on a herd immunity stragey and stopped contact tracing, both of which appealed the international experts and pandemic-experienced public health doctors and scientists at WHO. That was a damn sight greater than differing at the margins.
From my recollection the Herd Imunity Strategy was promoted by the Medical and Scientific Chief Officers and when the projected death rates were shown the Government insisted it was not used.

I also think the test and trace was stopped when it was decided to close the fragmented testing labs and resite them in more centralised larger facilities so that testing capacity could be ramped up.

Is this correct?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
needs headphones and open minds

You do know that I've got a reputation for posting foul mouthed Pie videos which seem to get some posters clutching their pearls, when I haven't posted one for ages now. ;)

I have seen this one already, it's very good and he's spot on about the trust issue. But then again I would say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.