Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If by further granularity, you mean scientifically valid theories or facts, not wasted at all. Have at it. you seem to think I am not persuaded by science. I change my mind every day based on new stuff that I read. But it needs to be credible and relevant.

Let's agree that NZ has a smaller population than London. What I am interested in is any valid argument that makes a difference to per capita rates.

There is little point in going further along this tangent. My deduction is that you're only really interested in your own view. Pretty much every bit of social interaction and spatial (O/D) data is different between the UK and NZ.

I'm out of this line of non- debate.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is little point in going further along this tangent. My deduction is that you're only really interested in your own view. Pretty much every bit of social interaction and spatial (O/D) data is different between the UK and NZ.

I'm out of this line of non- debate.

Your deceptive powers fail you. I was interested in hearing some substance, but perhaps there is none.

I recently chatted to an international expert in public health (who is on the tellybox quite often) about some of these issues. He seemed to think it was quite possible and even necessary to make reasonable comparisons between countries. What an idiot, eh?

D

Deleted member 15344

So our hopes of getting our daughter back to school have been dashed. A test this morning appears to show she’s even more infected than she was on Tuesday!!

Interestingly the tone of the class WhatsApp group has changed. A fair few of the class tested positive just before the end of term in December. All asymptomatic and all ended up having to isolate for the 10 days. Now, a month of so later they’re having to do the same even though the kids are all fine. The general consensus seems to be that they are all going to stop testing now, if the child is ill or showing symptoms then they’ll test. If they’re well then they will not.

We’ve been very lucky, this is the first time that any of us have had to isolate however I have sympathy for those who have well children at home who are facing having them indoors for 20 odd days with the space of 5 weeks.
That’s the exact same situation with us

Little ones test yesterday the second line came out within minutes and was a clear line this time

She is still fine apart from being full of snot ? - think it’s also happening at the same time as a growth spurt so hasn’t stopped eating. Will need a week off when she goes back to school

Did hear that make kids are having the positive tests for the full 10 days - wonder if it’s because of the lack of vaccine for them

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Positive again, that means no early release tomorrow but on Monday I am free anyway.
Feeling really weak and tired today. No fever, but erratic readings on the oxymeter.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The new guidelines a bit of a joke. I would say something more but it will be framed as political.

Masks have been off in classrooms since Monday and completely off since Thursday in communal areas. Son just tested positive. Big uptick in students and Teachers testing positive. Got a mail from school saying they are monitoring and may reintroduce compulsory mask irrespective of govt guidelines

Friends who have got it this time (incl a teacher friend who got on Tuesday after masks were removed on Monday) have been isolating. Guidelines say 5 days and need 2 negative tests. None of those who tested have got negative in 5 days. 111 says it ‘generally’ takes 8 days!! So what’s the point in this pointless political gamesmanship of ‘opening up’ and the myth of shortening isolations. I rather trust the NHS, wear masks, do RT-PCR and isolate for 10 days.

Given the son now has brought it home, just a matter of time for someone in the family to get it.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That’s the exact same situation with us

Little ones test yesterday the second line came out within minutes and was a clear line this time

She is still fine apart from being full of snot ? - think it’s also happening at the same time as a growth spurt so hasn’t stopped eating. Will need a week off when she goes back to school

Did hear that make kids are having the positive tests for the full 10 days - wonder if it’s because of the lack of vaccine for them

Randomly today's test is completely negative!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had a discussion yesterday with my lad re the true fatality rate of COVID. He quoted it’s only 17 thousand have died. The others had underlying factors or health issues. I pointed out that I could understand 17k if the countries population were all fit and healthy and not vulnerable. But there not. COVID was the straw that broke the camels back.
Ave had me mornings peruse on news sites, FB etc and the 17k figure is posted a few times on FB. inc from that fountain of Knowledge Nigel Farage. I get folk want to get back to normal. But stating only 17K as a figure seems a bit desperate and pathetic to me.

D

Deleted member 16999

Had a discussion yesterday with my lad re the true fatality rate of COVID. He quoted it’s only 17 thousand have died. The others had underlying factors or health issues. I pointed out that I could understand 17k if the countries population were all fit and healthy and not vulnerable. But there not. COVID was the straw that broke the camels back.
Ave had me mornings peruse on news sites, FB etc and the 17k figure is posted a few times on FB. inc from that fountain of Knowledge Nigel Farage. I get folk want to get back to normal. But stating only 17K as a figure seems a bit desperate and pathetic to me.
Been discussed on here. Go back and read from post #24903 and see the following posts for the explanation.(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the best way to gauge, we will never have a perfect answer, is to look at the excess deaths figure. This is the extra number of deaths based against the average figure of deaths in a year. It will not be as high as the 'with covid' figure as that is a catch all figure, but I am sure it will be much greater than 17k still. I haven't seen the number recently but after the first year of covid it was still pretty scary.

The govt give these figures out https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/excess-mortality-in-england-weekly-reports but trying to decipher these things hurt my head so I will leave it to others.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Randomly today's test is completely negative!

So we're now back to 'lots of Covid' on the tests so looks like we're unlikely to be allowed out any earlier than the 10 days. I wonder whether the 5 day thing is a bit of a red herring, make people feel as though their isolation period won't be as long as it used to be. How many actually get let out early? Most of my friends who have had it were still testing positive right up until the last day, some even after being released.

Wife is now positive on a PCR, I'm still negative on LFT's with no symptoms.

D

Deleted member 15344

So we're now back to 'lots of Covid' on the tests so looks like we're unlikely to be allowed out any earlier than the 10 days. I wonder whether the 5 day thing is a bit of a red herring, make people feel as though their isolation period won't be as long as it used to be. How many actually get let out early? Most of my friends who have had it were still testing positive right up until the last day, some even after being released.

Wife is now positive on a PCR, I'm still negative on LFT's with no symptoms.

The littles ones at day 8 now , yesterday it’s was a thin line , wife at day 5 - taking a year later. I’m still testing negative and no symptoms at all

Think the wife will be fine in a day or so and guess the little will do the full 10 days

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My M-I-L has just tested positive on a LFT. We thought we should register the result, however this link https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/test-results/positive-test-result/ suggests we do not need to. Is this right?
If so, how do authorities know who is testing positive?

I think you are still encouraged to report the LFT result, you just don't need to get a PCR to confirm it.

Report a COVID-19 rapid lateral flow test result - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)