Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Only posting this for info in case someone else has similar effects and is worrying. I had the Pfizer booster last Wednesday, developed a fever that evening, but gone next morning. Aside from that, have had a gnawing pain in my stomach since Wednesday evening. It doesn't really hurt, more of a discomfort, and very reminiscent of the symptoms I got when prescribed Naproxen a while back. Eventually spoke with 111 over the weekend as it is a listed side effect and advice is to call. They said speak to doc, which I did on Monday, apparently they've had a few people calling with similar symptoms after the booster. She's prescribed the same ant-acid I was given with the Naproxen. Yesterday was a much better day, didn't notice it at all, so hopefully it's a short term effect.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only posting this for info in case someone else has similar effects and is worrying. I had the Pfizer booster last Wednesday, developed a fever that evening, but gone next morning. Aside from that, have had a gnawing pain in my stomach since Wednesday evening. It doesn't really hurt, more of a discomfort, and very reminiscent of the symptoms I got when prescribed Naproxen a while back. Eventually spoke with 111 over the weekend as it is a listed side effect and advice is to call. They said speak to doc, which I did on Monday, apparently they've had a few people calling with similar symptoms after the booster. She's prescribed the same ant-acid I was given with the Naproxen. Yesterday was a much better day, didn't notice it at all, so hopefully it's a short term effect.

The vaccine activates your immune system, and that includes a burst of inflammatory substances which are part of the immune response, so the fever, chills, gut ache and other side effects are really part of the main effect. Shouldn't last too long, and well worth it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had the Moderna booster on Monday after AZ for the first two. Arm has become very sore (was after the first AZ) and feeling slightly run down, so not too bad.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had the Moderna booster on Monday after AZ for the first two. Arm has become very sore (was after the first AZ) and feeling slightly run down, so not too bad.

I note that a few people here have reported side effects after getting an mRNA after previous AZ. It may be that the mRNA gives previous AZ recipients a bigger immune kick and the side effects may be proportional. Anecdotal observations in the doctors social media site that I also frequent suggests that a smaller response is usually seen in people who get Moderna after Pfizer (as I did and most NHS staff did).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I advise everyone to opt for Pfizer if possible (especially as my wife's share options are looking very healthy at the moment ?) ?

Both mRNA boosters are very effective. Data suggest Moderna may be slightly more effective, though. I agree that Pfizer shares are healthy, with a good diverse pipeline of products, but Moderna stock looks a bit overvalued to me right now. Their market cap is currently 114 Billion dollars, which makes them more valuable than GSK, who have broad and diverse product line and development pipelines. I think that is an unsustainable position with only one major product line. A safety issue with their vax, a variant with significant vaccine escape, or another technology with better clinical benefits and that value will get a kicking.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that I may have anwered this a few times before, but it keeps popping up.

Two summers ago, it wiped out my entire season.
I couldn't be bothered to play with the clubhouse closed and all of the covid protocols in place.
You may recall that back then, people still thought it could be surface transmitted.

This past summer, the entire membership was jabbed and it was business as usual.
With all of these variant scares, however, who knows about next summer?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Selfishly hoping for a quick introduction of Plan B. First realy time out of my village on Saturday to go to a gig and I would feel so much better if everyone had to have a vaccine passport.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that I may have anwered this a few times before, but it keeps popping up.

Two summers ago, it wiped out my entire season.
I couldn't be bothered to play with the clubhouse closed and all of the covid protocols in place.
You may recall that back then, people still thought it could be surface transmitted.

This past summer, the entire membership was jabbed and it was business as usual.
With all of these variant scares, however, who knows about next summer?

It probably can, but the "dose", aka viral load, is unlikely to be large unless someone has coughed a large deposit quite recently and you rub your nose after handling it. Surface transmission is unlikely to be a major factor in outbreaks, in my opinion. Even less of a factor outdoors, so flags on greens and bunker rakes really not a risk.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It probably can, but the "dose", aka viral load, is unlikely to be large unless someone has coughed a large deposit quite recently and you rub your nose after handling it. Surface transmission is unlikely to be a major factor in outbreaks, in my opinion. Even less of a factor outdoors, so flags on greens and bunker rakes really not a risk.

That's an interesting one. In my cycling instructor role I have to check bikes for road worthiness before we start the course. The kids will have brought their bikes out and laid them down (outside). They are then moved to one side for some verbal instructions whilst one of us checks the bikes. We've been "reminded" this week of the Covid requirements which mean sanitising hands before and after checking every bike. Or, if we wear gloves (which I do as often they're filthy) then they need to be changed for every bike! It's going to take ages to do the checks on that basis...

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It does, my only worry is how many will comply given whats been discussed all day...

I don't think Plan B really impacts people, the masks are already in place and the main one would be the WFH which I suspect most are doing most of the time anyway.

I think the thing that the public would not follow would be if they try and limit people's social lives so trying to do the Rule of 6, or no mixing in other people's homes. For many this is the line that would be unacceptable.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Briefing by PM at 6pm. Wondering what’s new that we know about the omicron variant that we didn’t know last week and that can’t wait until the 18th as planned. That’s simply concerning.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's an interesting one. In my cycling instructor role I have to check bikes for road worthiness before we start the course. The kids will have brought their bikes out and laid them down (outside). They are then moved to one side for some verbal instructions whilst one of us checks the bikes. We've been "reminded" this week of the Covid requirements which mean sanitising hands before and after checking every bike. Or, if we wear gloves (which I do as often they're filthy) then they need to be changed for every bike! It's going to take ages to do the checks on that basis...

They are using the Irish policy, to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Briefing by PM at 6pm. Wondering what’s new that we know about the omicron variant that we didn’t know last week and that can’t wait until the 18th as planned. That’s simply concerning.

I don't think that can be answered without breaking the politics rule however I don't think there is any breaking news on Omicron, most of the stories (that I have read) on Twitter etc still suggest that it's still too early to make definite decisions based on the data and that it still looks like it's more transmissible but also milder but again still too early to say for sure. It seems to be more able to escape the vaccine however the Booster still seems to prevent the worst illnesses.

In my opinion, the real reason for this sudden leap into action is to try and get a different story onto the front pages of newspapers.