Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D-S

Visit site
Aus total cases per million 8,355. UK........152,370

Aus total deaths per million 79. UK........2,128

Maybe they have the right idea
Fair point although Melbourne have had 262 days of lockdown and tough restrictions in between together with very strict travel bans. Difficult choices.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess Australia doesn't have any cities or towns and thousands of acres of nothing.
No need for sarcasm, my point was a genuine question.
England for example has one of the highest population densities in the world and much higher than Australia, this must be an influence on the probable infection rate.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No need for sarcasm, my point was a genuine question.
England for example has one of the highest population densities in the world and much higher than Australia, this must be an influence on the probable infection rate.

I'll stop being sarcastic when you stop patronising me.
The map below shows the vast majority of population are in a very small area

9mw8ttqqu0b41.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So from the article posted above…Coetzee considers that ‘…Britain is merely hyping up the alarm about this variant unnecessarily‘. One might then wonder why this country (I.e. the government guided by experts) would do that…but to pass conjecture on that here…nope - besides who is to know…it would simply be conjecture. However I am, despite my instinct that extreme caution and risk mitigation are essential, beginning to wonder.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No chance to ‘whinge’ in Aus now though, they’ve turned it into some sort of police state.
Aus total cases per million 8,355. UK........152,370

Aus total deaths per million 79. UK........2,128

Maybe they have the right idea
Ah! The old 'Lies, damned lies and statistics' issue! Check the graphs out, not just the total numbers.
Since mid August, Australia has had a very steep increase in rate of cases detected - and subsequent deaths. That's the reason they have imposed harsher 'rules'.

D-S

Visit site
Ah! The old 'Lies, damned lies and statistics' issue! Check the graphs out, not just the total numbers.
Since mid August, Australia has had a very steep increase in rate of cases detected - and subsequent deaths. That's the reason they have imposed harsher 'rules'.
I think you'll find the 'harsher rules' were imposed well before August - hence 262 days of lockdown, that over 8 months and August was only 3 months ago. Also the travel rules have been in place for well over 18 months.
Also Melbourne ended their lockdown on October 21st.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll stop being sarcastic when you stop patronising me.
The map below shows the vast majority of population are in a very small area

View attachment 39811
Patronising, when did I do that?
I'm still suggesting the population density in the major Australian populated areas are lower than England. Of course I'm not suggesting you can compare the population per sq mile nationally.

Can we please either have a sensible discussion on this or drop it.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you'll find the 'harsher rules' were imposed well before August - hence 262 days of lockdown, that over 8 months and August was only 3 months ago. Also the travel rules have been in place for well over 18 months.
Also Melbourne ended their lockdown on October 21st.
Indeed, I mistook the meaning of your earlier post.
I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a further lockdown imposed (in any/all larger cities). Their vaccination percentage (part of the reason lockdown was lifted) doesn't seem to be as high as UK's - though not fully 'date-comparable'.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Damned if you do...
To be fair, the writing was on the wall and clear and plain to see that the first round needed a swift reaction. The were slow on the delta variant but the jab program saved it.. and they got that stepped up, and which is positive.
I think the reaction to this needs to be hard and fast. I get it that it’s highly contagious and our numbers are increasing massively, but they should now watch the hospital admissions and put the no vaccine emissions in the analysis as stand alone data .. it might be persuasive.
If this variant is mild then hopefully we can just open back up and see if it has a positive herd immunity affect ..

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, the writing was on the wall and clear and plain to see that the first round needed a swift reaction. The were slow on the delta variant but the jab program saved it.. and they got that stepped up, and which is positive.
I think the reaction to this needs to be hard and fast. I get it that it’s highly contagious and our numbers are increasing massively, but they should now watch the hospital admissions and put the no vaccine emissions in the analysis as stand alone data .. it might be persuasive.
If this variant is mild then hopefully we can just open back up and see if it has a positive herd immunity affect ..

Admissions, in ICU and deaths...might as you say be persuasive!

4LEX

Visit site
Chair of the SA Medical Association “Stunned” by the Extreme British reaction….. Gaswhatnow??

View attachment 39810

Better safe than sorry. Her comments strike of clear government policy from South Africa.

Britian has shut a few flights down and asked people to wear masks for a couple of weeks, nothing major. Football grounds are full, pubs, clubs and Christmas markets are packed. She is full of rubbish. If anything the government have learned from their mistakes and should be applauded.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
So from the article posted above…Coetzee considers that ‘…Britain is merely hyping up the alarm about this variant unnecessarily‘. One might then wonder why this country (I.e. the government guided by experts) would do that…but to pass conjecture on that here…nope - besides who is to know…it would simply be conjecture. However I am, despite my instinct that extreme caution and risk mitigation are essential, beginning to wonder.

Well, what a different reaction from Amanda and from you.
One reasoned and going on the facts, the other (yours) laced with suspicion and "wonder" Wondering of what nature, ( I wonder?) ?