Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd read Chasing the scream by Johann Hari.

Addiction is a chronic illness, shall we tell depressed people to just stop being sad?

My nephew, who lives in the US, is currently in ICU and will not survive according to the doctors. A long term alcohol addiction has badly affected his liver and heart and his health has been poor for a good few years. He recently fell whilst drunk and suffered a head injury which, alongside his other complex health issues, is not survivable. It's a matter of time but his family can't bring themselves to give up on him yet. Somehow, someway a vibrant, handsome, extremely funny and smart guy lost his way and no amount of times in rehab got him back on track. So sad and such a waste but, if he could, of course he would have stopped...addiction is a terrible thing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly looking like the use of covid passports (that I generally support) is on less solid footing. One source of the Omicron spread in Scotland appears to be a Steps concert in Glasgow which would have required a vaccination passport. I know the vaccination does not stop the spread but on a PR standpoint, to have one the main sources of infection being an event requiring a passport is not ideal.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Certainly looking like the use of covid passports (that I generally support) is on less solid footing. One source of the Omicron spread in Scotland appears to be a Steps concert in Glasgow which would have required a vaccination passport. I know the vaccination does not stop the spread but on a PR standpoint, to have one the main sources of infection being an event requiring a passport is not ideal.

Tragedy.

D-S

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but when anti-vaxxers or the ‘vaccine hesitant’ are admitted to hospital with COVID are they also anti or hesitant about new anti virals or other newer treatments or do they just lie there and assume their natural immunity will sort it out? Where is the line that they won’t cross?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To me, it's something of a 'no win' situation for those encouraging vaccination. Any incident like the above is seen as a 'victory' for anti-vax-ers.
But the REAL, but rather unquantifiable, response should be... Just imagine how many cases there would have been without the vax-passports!!
Realistically, it's a case of 'limiting' the spread, not necessarily preventing it.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Worth a go I suppose…..

“An Italian man who was anxious to obtain a Covid passport but did not want to have the actual jab tried to trick medics by turning up at a vaccination centre with a false arm made of silicon.

The man, who like a small but vocal minority of Italians objected to the vaccination, arrived at the medical centre in the town of Biella in Piedmont on Thursday night.

He had been booked in for his first dose of the vaccination, making him a laggard in comparison with the 85 per cent of Italians aged over 12 who have had two jabs and are now looking to obtain their booster jabs.

But when the man, aged in his fifties, rolled up his sleeve, the medical orderly began to suspect that all was not as it should have been.

The skin of his arm seemed unusually smooth and a slightly strange colour.

The medic quickly realised that the arm was a fake limb, albeit a sophisticated one made of silicon.

The man appealed to the medic to turn a blind eye and give him a jab in his fake limb.

She refused. He was reported to police and magistrates and now faces prosecution.”

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To me, it's something of a 'no win' situation for those encouraging vaccination. Any incident like the above is seen as a 'victory' for anti-vax-ers.
But the REAL, but rather unquantifiable, response should be... Just imagine how many cases there would have been without the vax-passports!!
Realistically, it's a case of 'limiting' the spread, not necessarily preventing it.

The updated reporting on this one is that the venue didn’t do any sort of checks for vaccine passports etc so they’ve absolutely no idea what the status was of anyone in the place.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The updated reporting on this one is that the venue didn’t do any sort of checks for vaccine passports etc so they’ve absolutely no idea what the status was of anyone in the place.
Not good!
But , perhaps, an understandable 'on the fly' response to a situation that was likely to get 'out of control'.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but when anti-vaxxers or the ‘vaccine hesitant’ are admitted to hospital with COVID are they also anti or hesitant about new anti virals or other newer treatments or do they just lie there and assume their natural immunity will sort it out? Where is the line that they won’t cross?
When they're admitted to hospital they tend to be ex-anti-vaxxers.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Realistically, how many if any of these major events actually carry out proper checks?

When I go to football, we file in simply holding up our phones with the NHS page with the QR code on it. I'm double jabbed & boosted, but because of issues with getting the app to play as we go in, I take a screen shot of it, save it to a photo album and then just display the photo. There is no way they can read a name on it, nor do they know the name of the person holding the phone.

I wonder how many of those displaying vaccine passports have had a photo sent to them by a friend?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Realistically, how many if any of these major events actually carry out proper checks?

When I go to football, we file in simply holding up our phones with the NHS page with the QR code on it. I'm double jabbed & boosted, but because of issues with getting the app to play as we go in, I take a screen shot of it, save it to a photo album and then just display the photo. There is no way they can read a name on it, nor do they know the name of the person holding the phone.

I wonder how many of those displaying vaccine passports have had a photo sent to them by a friend?
The Grand Prix, a supposed 'test event', was a joke. I was expecting to have the code scanned and show some ID to prove it was mine, but nothing of the sort, the proofs were given a cursory glance at the most

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been to the theatre twice where a passport was supposed to be shown, one West End, one Newcastle. People with nothing were stopped and required to take a lateral flow test but no one actually checked my phone. We basically flashed a QR code and walked on. It would have been an interesting test for 'mystery shoppers ' to flash any old QR code, from a shop etc to see if anyone stopped them. From my own experience I doubt they would have. If they don't actually scan the code, how can they know what it relates to?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Probably when they are unconscious and family have to make decisions ☹️

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In Sweden they scan your QR code and check your ID.
Just waiting for the full details of this evenings sound byte… Personally I would like all the airport staff to be confirmed clear by an independent test house as well and they can show me their paperwork before they touch any of my stuff.
I will look for a Lat flow test, but I could get more exposure by looking for one! Utterly mad, I have my 2nd day PCR test booked, my car is in the car park ready , I have no need to go near anyone , I will have a mask on and I can put gloves on.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this government trying to bankrupt me? Currently in Spain just over two weeks into a three week stay. Before we left, we spent £40 booking our Day 2 lateral flow tests. After we got here, they changed the rules - it has to be PCR test. So we spent another £140 on booking our PCR tests. Now they change the rules again and we now have to have tests before we depart for home? So somehow got to find a somewhere to get a test out here? I know we had to take our chances by coming out in the first place, but it's darn annoying nonetheless.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is this government trying to bankrupt me? Currently in Spain just over two weeks into a three week stay. Before we left, we spent £40 booking our Day 2 lateral flow tests. After we got here, they changed the rules - it has to be PCR test. So we spent another £140 on booking our PCR tests. Now they change the rules again and we now have to have tests before we depart for home? So somehow got to find a somewhere to get a test out here? I know we had to take our chances by coming out in the first place, but it's darn annoying nonetheless.
I guess they had to step up a notch due to the new varient