Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Better safe than sorry. Her comments strike of clear government policy from South Africa.

Britian has shut a few flights down and asked people to wear masks for a couple of weeks, nothing major. Football grounds are full, pubs, clubs and Christmas markets are packed. She is full of rubbish. If anything the government have learned from their mistakes and should be applauded.
Indeed - sometimes it is worthwhile actually listening to the Captain Hindsights of this world and acting according to the lessons they provide.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, what a different reaction from Amanda and from you.
One reasoned and going on the facts, the other (yours) laced with suspicion and "wonder" Wondering of what nature, ( I wonder?) ?
I simply considered that if Coetzee is correct in what she says then the question of why the government would over-hype the risk of the new variant is an obvious one. A question for her I guess.

And as I said, I am instinctively risk averse and so more persuaded that the current course of action is appropriate, though I’d actually prefer it to be more proscriptive than it is in respect of mask wearing when and where.

That said, when considering any risk mitigation you have to look at the costs of the mitigations; the residual risk if mitigation’s are applied; and costs associated with the contingencies if mitigations are not applied and the risk materialises. The current mitigations are low cost and if adopted and ‘policed’ strictly would probably be sufficient to dampen exponential growth of infection, but we have to understand the trigger point at which more severe mitigations would have to be applied. I don’t think we have that at the moment. Simply saying ‘Wait and see’ is not listening to Captain Hindsight as we should.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I simply considered that if Coetzee is correct in what she says then the question of why the government would over-hype the risk of the new variant is an obvious one. A question for her I guess.

And as I said, I am instinctively risk averse and so more persuaded that the current course of action is appropriate, though I’d actually prefer it to be more proscriptive than it is in respect of mask wearing when and where.

That said, when considering any risk mitigation you have to look at the costs of the mitigations; the residual risk if mitigation’s are applied; and costs associated with the contingencies if mitigations are not applied and the risk materialises. The current mitigations are low cost and if adopted and ‘policed’ strictly would probably be sufficient to dampen exponential growth of infection, but we have to understand the trigger point at which more severe mitigations would have to be applied. I don’t think we have that at the moment. Simply saying ‘Wait and see’ is not listening to Captain Hindsight as we should.

Coetzee might be right, she might be wrong. Either way, it is untenable to set an international public health policy based on her opinion.

For a start, she doesn't know if the cases she has seen are representative of the whole spectrum of disease. For all she knows there are people dead at home with it. Second, greater transmissbility, even with on-average milder disease is a greater public health issue. Also, the character of the disease could be different - milder initial reparatory epidote but more damaging secondary inflammatory episode.

The only sensible strategy is to act cautiously, even over-cautiously, then amend the strategy as more information emerges. That could mean relaxing restrictions or tightening them. We need to accept that these rapid responses will need to be put in place. There will be more of these.

Does anyone think that if the Govt were pretty relaxed and it turned out this was a bad one, a defence of saying that a South African doctor that nobody in the UK had previously heard of said it was OK on Andrew Marr's TV show would be considered adequate?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Coetzee might be right, she might be wrong. Either way, it is untenable to set an international public health policy based on her opinion.

For a start, she doesn't know if the cases she has seen are representative of the whole spectrum of disease. For all she knows there are people dead at home with it. Second, greater transmissbility, even with on-average milder disease is a greater public health issue. Also, the character of the disease could be different - milder initial reparatory epidote but more damaging secondary inflammatory episode.

The only sensible strategy is to act cautiously, even over-cautiously, then amend the strategy as more information emerges. That could mean relaxing restrictions or tightening them. We need to accept that these rapid responses will need to be put in place. There will be more of these.

Does anyone think that if the Govt were pretty relaxed and it turned out this was a bad one, a defence of saying that a South African doctor that nobody in the UK had previously heard of said it was OK on Andrew Marr's TV show would be considered adequate?

The response to travel restrictions has been strangely agressive from both SA and the WHO. This struck me as strange bearing in mind that this has been the response to any new variant and the country that detects it first has always been hit hardest by any new measures (we had it with the Kent variant). The most despicable terminololgy I heard was it being called 'travel apartheid' and that was buy someone in an official role (cannot recall if it was SA or WHO who made that comment). I am at a loss to understand the response to what has been a sensible, global measure.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Damned if you react quickly, damned if you don't
What does Captain Hindsight tell us to do as this isn’t the first time given the experience of the last 2yrs. I think it tells as that it is probably best to react quickly…for once the evidence of exponential growth of an infection that hospitalises is manifest by significantly increased hospitalisations, then experience tells us we have a problem on our hands.

I might suggest that being damned whatever you do will likely be less equally balanced if clarity of rationale and strong leadership are provided.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
had the pfizer booster yesterday - comimg on top of double AZ. The injection was a chunk more noticeable than the last 2, which i barely felt! My arm is numb and sore, something that never happened with the last 2. But not feeling rough

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also had my Pfizer booster yesterday. It made me drowsy after a couple of hours but initially not very noticeable until this morning where I have a horrendous headache and feeling dizzy.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me and Missis T had the Pfizer booster on Sunday. Me I was not to bad at all bit of an headache and that’s it. Missis T felt tired, joints ached yesterday and slept like a log.
Me finks it is a very small price to pay for being covered.

That aside, did anyone see the woman on telly last night give her talk about the vaccine etc. it looked quite good but I was nik nacked so went to bed.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I had my Pfizer booster on Saturday after AZ for jabs 1 & 2. The only effect I felt was a slight soreness on my Covid jab arm when I lay on it in bed the first night, but after that I've felt fine. I had a headache on Sunday morning but that could also be an effect of the beer on the Saturday night. Othwesire no ill effects.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert’s Dimbleby Lecture (broadcast BBC last night) was very informative and should be required viewing for all those who question the ‘speed of development’ and ‘risks’ associated with the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert’s Dimbleby Lecture (broadcast BBC last night) was very informative and should be required viewing for all those who question the ‘speed of development’ and ‘risks’ associated with the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine.
I think this was the answer I was looking for in post 22,631 ?

Cheers SILH

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still getting more and more patients in. Hoping it's a minor spike and not something more serious. The frustrating aspect is we have an 85-15% ratio of unvaccinated vs vaccinated. I can't understand any logical answer as to why even now you wouldn't get a first jab given all the stuff flying around with the new variant

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Managed to find a test in the city, fingers crossed it’s negative… if I have got it I feel fine though. But the fall out if I get a positive result is my stay is prolonged by 10 days and I have no accommodation, currently, so I will have to act fast and get some. Then my wife has another 10 days on her own looking after the boy. The school is infested with it … this is all a bit silly