Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Briefing by PM at 6pm. Wondering what’s new that we know about the omicron variant that we didn’t know last week and that can’t wait until the 18th as planned. That’s simply concerning.

It needs WFH, masks in indoor public settings and proof of at least double vax or LFT -ve to get into entertainment venues.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are using the Irish policy, to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

Tell me about it. Don't get me started on adjusting helmets (they can't flipping do it no matter how I tell them!) and keeping them all 2m away from you at all times...

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Boris to announce Plan B. No news yet on whether that's a move to working from home and vaccine passports or the entertainment for the next Downing Street party.

640px-Plan_B_new_press_shot_March_2012.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good news from my work perspective given the rising pressures on our respiratory wards. We need a road block of some description to stop the transmission and so WFH is a logical step. Feel for pubs and restaurants as it will inevitably hit their business at their peak time for another year as there will be many cancellations

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good news from my work perspective given the rising pressures on our respiratory wards. We need a road block of some description to stop the transmission and so WFH is a logical step. Feel for pubs and restaurants as it will inevitably hit their business at their peak time for another year as there will be many cancellations
It's not a big change in Bars and Restaurants. Walk in with a mask, sit down and take it off, how's it going to hit their business?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's not a big change in Bars and Restaurants. Walk in with a mask, sit down and take it off, how's it going to hit their business?

I think it'll hit consumer confidence in terms of the new variant cases doubling every 2-3 days so people will be more reluctant to spend a lengthy period of time in a crowded pub or restaurant

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having seen the briefing I've no reason to change my opinion that it was anything other than a sham, rushed through to try and change the front pages of the papers from one story to another. We know that the scientists have been calling for tougher restrictions, that's fine as they come from that side of the argument however we were told that it'd be a couple of weeks before decisions were made and then suddenly, on a day of terrible news for the Government, we have an important briefing to tell us we're going to Plan B. The stats that Whitty showed didn't even particularly do much to prove that there was a basis for the change IMO, not enough in the data to make such a big decision. They showed a chart of the SA cases even though we know that they're vaccination rate is around 20% so of course it is going to take off. I didn't see that he showed a chart on hospitalisations and deaths though? The ones I have seen in SA show that they are largely flat at the moment so probably doesn't suit the narrative. That's not to say that things won't change but after all the guff about following the data this decision really doesn't make any particular sense. BTW, I have no personal stake in these restrictions, they don't affect me on a personal or business level so have no skin in the game so to speak.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We now know the doubling tine is <3 days...
Not good, requires earliest damping…hope Plan B works, and I hope we‘ve all been listening all across England.

From what I‘ve been hearing today, some members of the public admit to not paying much, if any, attention to the news - especially coming from the mouths of politicians. Hope they were listening to Vallance and Whitty.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it'll hit consumer confidence in terms of the new variant cases doubling every 2-3 days so people will be more reluctant to spend a lengthy period of time in a crowded pub or restaurant
We will see by the daily infection rates over the next few weeks coupled with death rates and how vaccination is affected. There appears to be a great deal of supposition at the moment.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hoped a journalist would ask the Prime Minister what evidence there is that vaccine passports wiould reduce the no. of people infected with Covid and cite the recent 70-page Scottish Govt report saying they’d made zero difference north of the border?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hoped a journalist would ask the Prime Minister what evidence there is that vaccine passports wiould reduce the no. of people infected with Covid and cite the recent 70-page Scottish Govt report saying they’d made zero difference north of the border?
Something seems to be working north of the border.
IMG_20211208_200918.jpg

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just filling out the passenger locator and it just refuses to scan the qr code or accept the photo … stupid system
Managed to get the fit to fly lat flow test , was initially a pain as you needed a Swedish social number to access the booking. I do find the Swedish quite insular in this respect, they do marginalise people. I get the U.K. left the EU but as an EU citizen you would not have a working Swedish social number.
They finally accepted my passport as the document it needed to be associated to, and I did explain that the U.K. government doesn’t recognise Swedish social numbers, but would recognise a passport number .. anyway it was done and the people on the ground do a great job… the beaurocrats though on both sides are useless self important masterbators. I really hate poor preparation .. anyway I shall be returning to plague island on Friday so put your masks on and wash your hands !

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm due to be joining a job at the end of the month and they want a negative PCR test before joining. Having recently had Covid the government and medical advice is not to take another PCR test for 90 days unless I show symptoms. If I take the PCR test there's a fairly high chance that it will come back as positive as it will pick up the previous infection. If that happens then by law I have to isolate again for 10 days even if it is a false positive from the previous infection. Airlines and governments are happy to accept evidence of having recovered from a recent infection instead of a negative test but the contractor won't accept it at the minute. The argument continues.