Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Something seems to be working north of the border.
View attachment 39866
Perhaps those that have this variant don't like the cold North. Or even the variant itself doesn't. After all, it supposedly originated in South Africa.
Then again, maybe the identification/reporting process is 'better' in England/Ireland.
The old saying 'Lies; Damn Lies; and Statistics' could well be appropriate too!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perhaps those that have this variant don't like the cold North. Or even the variant itself doesn't. After all, it supposedly originated in South Africa.
Then again, maybe the identification/reporting process is 'better' in England/Ireland.
The old saying 'Lies; Damn Lies; and Statistics' could well be appropriate too!
Don't forget the haggis and bagpipes.

Do you think the identification/reporting process is worse in Scotland, any evidence or just a gut feeling?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This is one of those questions where simple logic is helpful.

If you accept that Covid spreads by close contact or in crowded places, that people who are vaccinated or have a negative test are less likely to spread it in such environments and that passports limit access from people who are not vaccinated or test negative to those places, then you must accept that they reduce spread, or provide a coherent argument why they do not.

It is a bit difficult to ethically conduct a randomised controlled trial into the question.
On this issue (at least) Douglas Ross is a complete pillock (imo, of course).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some not as many. If the population is less dense then it’s not a comparison. The central belt (where the people live) is red
It's a comparison of it's self. If the rates in Scotland have reduced overall then the virus has lessened. The rates are per hundred thousand population by the way so it's not really pertinent.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It does, my only worry is how many will comply given whats been discussed all day...

Well, if they don't they are daft. By all means, if you wish to, be annoyed and call certain people certain names, if it helps?, but to reject the common sense of taking more precautions because of your anger, is not being wise about your or your family's health.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Briefing by PM at 6pm. Wondering what’s new that we know about the omicron variant that we didn’t know last week and that can’t wait until the 18th as planned. That’s simply concerning.
It's not what is new, it's becoming clear that this is spreading rapidly, the word "doubling " is used. So action is needed soon as.

And you know that.
So, what is concerning? ( as if )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not what is new, it's becoming clear that this is spreading rapidly, the word "doubling " is used. So action is needed soon as.

And you know that.
So, what is concerning? ( as if )
And it's extremely fortunate that this is likely sufficiently 'controversial' that it diverts public attention from some other news!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
But I haven’t seen anything that could have changed the line of checking in a few weeks time when the data was there to pressing the button overnight. There is little in the data and surely they’re not going to base it on a country with very low vaccination rates (high cases)? And then to top that off their hospitalisation and death rates are flat at this point. There is absolutely nothing in the data to have meant a drastic change in thinking which there is no evidence of at present.

I understand that Twitter is not the place to get all medical advice from as it tends to be ‘Covid doesn’t exist’ vs ‘Covid is going to kill you’ but the general consensus is that Omicrom is mild and doesn’t cause hospitalisations.

You trust the general consensus of Twitter, do you?
There are reports, ( e.g. the GP in S.A. etc, but Ethan answered that one), but that is all. It is known that hospitalisation occurs a week or two after infection, so there isn't B enough data yet as to whether Omicron infections cause that , and to what extent.
We are getting rumour , accusations and innuendo replacing evidence, science and logic at the moment, and , IMHO, it's present in HoC as much as anywhere.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
And it's extremely fortunate that this is likely sufficiently 'controversial' that it diverts public attention from some other news!

Have you been diverted? Who here is unaware of the "other news" that this conference has diverted us from.
How many out there, troubling to watch the conference, would not also have seen the "other news"?
From what I saw of Kuensberg's question I think it somewhat emphasised it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have you been diverted? Who here is unaware of the "other news" that this conference has diverted us from.
How many out there, troubling to watch the conference, would not also have seen the "other news"?
From what I saw of Kuensberg's question I think it somewhat emphasised it?
Far too 'political', so I won't comment (further).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In a nutshell, for me Omnicron of 2021= Delta of 2020.and we know how that panned out. We have been here before. Surely we could and should be better prepared. Unless I have missed it.We should still be trying to save the NHS.
Good night and stay safe everyone.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In a nutshell, for me Omnicron of 2021= Delta of 2020.and we know how that panned out. We have been here before. Surely we could and should be better prepared. Unless I have missed it.We should still be trying to save the NHS.
Good night and stay safe everyone.
H'mm. I' don't believe it's 'equal' to Delta. From all the info, it's certainly less deadly - which is the most important trait imo. It seems to me likely that, as far smarter/more informed folk than me have intimated, it's more transmissable, but less deadly than earlier variants (probably a good trait for a virus that depends on transmission to survive). It does seem likely that this - random mutations - will become an ongoing issue that will have to be pretty much constantly/seasonally addressed - just as Flu(s) are.
FWIW, while the NHS is certainly under stress because of this, numbers I've seen for actual cases - as opposed to prevention - are about 5% of NHS resources, so maybe not as desperate as some believe - but certainly enough to 'stress the system'. Certainly the effect on morale is significant though!

4LEX

Visit site
H'mm. I' don't believe it's 'equal' to Delta. From all the info, it's certainly less deadly - which is the most important trait imo. It seems to me likely that, as far smarter/more informed folk than me have intimated, it's more transmissable, but less deadly than earlier variants (probably a good trait for a virus that depends on transmission to survive). It does seem likely that this - random mutations - will become an ongoing issue that will have to be pretty much constantly/seasonally addressed - just as Flu(s) are.
FWIW, while the NHS is certainly under stress because of this, numbers I've seen for actual cases - as opposed to prevention - are about 5% of NHS resources, so maybe not as desperate as some believe - but certainly enough to 'stress the system'. Certainly the effect on morale is significant though!

It's in no way proven to be less deadly at the moment! How can you say 'certainly' without any proof? Theres a lag of 3-4 weeks before you can even remotely tell that.

Also if it's 2-3 times more tranmissable and resistant to vaccines to a higher degree, which looks likely, case numbers will rise so fast the NHS will be overwhelmed. Simple maths. The actions taken now are to stop there being 125k+ cases in January. Incase you hadn't notitce we're already at a starting point of 40-50k a day without the new variant.

The best case is it's less deadly and boosters hold fast for time before an updated jab becomes available in the spring.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's in no way proven to be less deadly at the moment! How can you say 'certainly' without any proof? Theres a lag of 3-4 weeks before you can even remotely tell that.
1. Read the stats! Every indication - if perhaps not absolute proof (as tht's actually imposible) - is that it's less deadly. And there's certainly been more than '3-4 weeks' for those stats to be gathered. But I agree that I should have stated 'seems less deadly' as every report I've seen infers.
2. Kindly do not quote me 'out of context'! The phrase prior to that which you took exception to was important!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Also if it's 2-3 times more tranmissable and resistant to vaccines to a higher degree, which looks likely, case numbers will rise so fast the NHS will be overwhelmed. Simple maths.

Rising case numbers won't necessarily mean the NHS will be overwhelmed as not all cases end up in hospital, especially with the high numbers of vaccines and boosters being given.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Irresponsible imo! Both to youself/family and to work colleagues
Maybe, but I'm not alone, I'd say 30% of the staff are not wearing masks, and the same for customers. This thing is not going away and imo won't go away until we've all had it in one form or another. I'd say make sure you're vaccinated to give yourself the best chance of getting through this safely.