Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having seen the briefing I've no reason to change my opinion that it was anything other than a sham, rushed through to try and change the front pages of the papers from one story to another. We know that the scientists have been calling for tougher restrictions, that's fine as they come from that side of the argument however we were told that it'd be a couple of weeks before decisions were made and then suddenly, on a day of terrible news for the Government, we have an important briefing to tell us we're going to Plan B. The stats that Whitty showed didn't even particularly do much to prove that there was a basis for the change IMO, not enough in the data to make such a big decision. They showed a chart of the SA cases even though we know that they're vaccination rate is around 20% so of course it is going to take off. I didn't see that he showed a chart on hospitalisations and deaths though? The ones I have seen in SA show that they are largely flat at the moment so probably doesn't suit the narrative. That's not to say that things won't change but after all the guff about following the data this decision really doesn't make any particular sense. BTW, I have no personal stake in these restrictions, they don't affect me on a personal or business level so have no skin in the game so to speak.
To be honest I thought Whitty was not looking or sounding that convinced when presenting some of the data as rationale for requiring the change being announced today.

I absolutely get the imperative to tighten things up well in advance of things looking bad in respect of hospitalisations…so no complaints on that front at all…just commenting upon Whitty’s general demeanour. I had no such thoughts in respect of Vallance. I also get that Sage met yesterday and cabinet was briefed today, so I can see where a desire on behalf of the PM to act promptly given the evidence came from.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I also get that Sage met yesterday and cabinet was briefed today, so I can see where a desire to act promptly given the evidence came from.

But I haven’t seen anything that could have changed the line of checking in a few weeks time when the data was there to pressing the button overnight. There is little in the data and surely they’re not going to base it on a country with very low vaccination rates (high cases)? And then to top that off their hospitalisation and death rates are flat at this point. There is absolutely nothing in the data to have meant a drastic change in thinking which there is no evidence of at present.

I understand that Twitter is not the place to get all medical advice from as it tends to be ‘Covid doesn’t exist’ vs ‘Covid is going to kill you’ but the general consensus is that Omicrom is mild and doesn’t cause hospitalisations.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is it? or this a virus that comes and goes in waves in different locations? How does that map look over a month, 6 months or a year?
The virus doesn't recognise locations. It may well come and go in various locations but it's the ability to transmit from person to person that makes it happen.

Leftitshort

Visit site
The virus doesn't recognise locations. It may well come and go in various locations but it's the ability to transmit from person to person that makes it happen.
But on your map there aren’t any people in the yellow bits? Person to person transmission is difficult with no people?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think discussion of increased instances of the new variant is ok

If you truly, hand on heart, believe that is the overriding reason for bringing in the new restrictions then I've got a bridge for sale and several hundred acres of prime farm land in the Florida Everglades that I'm looking to sell.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Douglas Ross :

There is no evidence that vaccine passports stop the spread of Covid.

I didn’t vote for them at Holyrood and I won’t be voting for them at Westminster.

This is one of those questions where simple logic is helpful.

If you accept that Covid spreads by close contact or in crowded places, that people who are vaccinated or have a negative test are less likely to spread it in such environments and that passports limit access from people who are not vaccinated or test negative to those places, then you must accept that they reduce spread, or provide a coherent argument why they do not.

It is a bit difficult to ethically conduct a randomised controlled trial into the question.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

If you accept that Covid spreads by close contact or in crowded places, that people who are vaccinated or have a negative test are less likely to spread it in such environments and that passports limit access from people who are not vaccinated or test negative to those places, then you must accept that they reduce spread, or provide a coherent argument why they do not.

It is a bit difficult to ethically conduct a randomised controlled trial into the question.

Doesn’t the Norway thing suggest that it isn’t the case? They’ve some of the highest vaccination rates and had a recent event where only the vaccinated were invited. Out of 120 guests at least 60 later tested positive with the latest variant thought to be to blame I.e. vaccines don’t prevent transmission and even less so after a couple of months. It’s obviously a small sample and largely anecdotal but it does go some way to support the argument that vaccine passports were looking to be a waste of time and now even more so?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t the Norway thing suggest that it isn’t the case? They’ve some of the highest vaccination rates and had a recent event where only the vaccinated were invited. Out of 120 guests at least 60 later tested positive with the latest variant thought to be to blame I.e. vaccines don’t prevent transmission and even less so after a couple of months. It’s obviously a small sample and largely anecdotal but it does go some way to support the argument that vaccine passports were looking to be a waste of time and now even more so?

None of the cases are so far unwell. Their vaccinations are likely attenuating the severity and outcomes of the infection. I understand that they were all double vaccinated but not boosted. We know that some breakthrough infections/vaccine escape can occur. There is an element of chance in these things. One or two superspreaders shedding large amounts of virus can blow the numbers out of the water.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so you havent got the same map for the last month, or 3 months or more then?

or have you chosen one map to make a point that isnt true?
That map is today's. If you think I'm going to post the maps for the last 3 months or more then.......

You suggested the virus comes and goes in various locations, as such you should concede that something in those locations encourage the virus to spread, or do you think it just likes moving around to keep us guessing?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That map is today's. If you think I'm going to post the maps for the last 3 months or more then.......

You suggested the virus comes and goes in various locations, as such you should concede that something in those locations encourage the virus to spread, or do you think it just likes moving around to keep us guessing?

so youre not going to post them because they show the complete opposite to the one you have posted? what do you think Scotland have done that has suddenly made such a difference and why didnt it work for the previous few months?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Isn't there a case thought that simple logic doesn't fit what's actually happening though.
I haven't seen the numbers but if the leader of the socttich conservatives is going against the official government line then there must be data ?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
None of the cases are so far unwell. Their vaccinations are likely attenuating the severity and outcomes of the infection. I understand that they were all double vaccinated but not boosted. We know that some breakthrough infections/vaccine escape can occur. There is an element of chance in these things. One or two superspreaders shedding large amounts of virus can blow the numbers out of the water.

Hopefully that ends up supporting the early data that whilst the new variant is more transmissible it causes less issues on the health front.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so youre not going to post them because they show the complete opposite to the one you have posted? what do you think Scotland have done that has suddenly made such a difference and why didnt it work for the previous few months?
I'm not posting them because its not required, today's map shows clearly that the spread in Scotland is now relatively low compared to the rest of the Nation and its not needed. Of course feel free to do so if you want.

You keep prevaricating, the rates in Scotland are the lowest in the Nation when not so long ago they were very high. My original point was that Scotland must be doing something right to lower infections, your point seems to be that the virus likes to travel around a bit ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hopefully that ends up supporting the early data that whilst the new variant is more transmissible it causes less issues on the health front.

That seems to be the case, but older/vulnerable people can be put in hospital by a cold or flu, so Covid can definitely do it, and with high transmissibility, NHS pressure can be an issue.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not posting them because its not required, today's map shows clearly that the spread in Scotland is now relatively low compared to the rest of the Nation and its not needed. Of course feel free to do so if you want.

You keep prevaricating, the rates in Scotland are the lowest in the Nation when not so long ago they were very high. My original point was that Scotland must be doing something right to lower infections, your point seems to be that the virus likes to travel around a bit ?

Yet you still cant tell us what theyre doing right that they havent been doing the previous 3 months when their numbers were worse. Maybe it is more random than plenty want to believe and not as a result of doing something right?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That seems to be the case, but older/vulnerable people can be put in hospital by a cold or flu, so Covid can definitely do it, and with high transmissibility, NHS pressure can be an issue.

Absolutely agree and didn’t have an issue with the initial restrictions of mandatory mask wearing in close/public spaces however my issue is that nothing in the data presented today warranted the new restrictions. Happy to have restrictions if they are warranted but not if they’re to take the heat off other bad decisions.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yet you still cant tell us what theyre doing right that they havent been doing the previous 3 months when their numbers were worse. Maybe it is more random than plenty want to believe and not as a result of doing something right?
Maybe it's been taking sensible precautions, maybe vaccination passports have helped, maybe covids not partial to haggis and bagpipes and decided to move to warmer climes.