Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is pretty much it. Titrating public policy measures to the minimum level needed to maximally suppress cases is impossible.

In public policy matters it's best to assume the public are all stupid, a few but not many, are a bit less stupid but not by a lot.

D

Deleted member 21258

Maybe, but I'm not alone, I'd say 30% of the staff are not wearing masks, and the same for customers. This thing is not going away and imo won't go away until we've all had it in one form or another. I'd say make sure you're vaccinated to give yourself the best chance of getting through this safely.

I wish the end part of this wasnt true(its clearly never going away), its so not what I wanted almost 2 years ago but still coming to terms with it for over the last year. I think alot of people struggle with that. Restrictions are never free, if you can not see that now, then you are not looking at the whole news.....

We really need treatments to improve/get out there.

All the real world and lab based testing shows the same thing on average. Previous infection is the best protection against variants, long lasting and re-infection. For many that will be hard to accept as well. Not true of all vaccines clearly but so far with this one, it is.

Could link up about 5 lab studies on antibodies testing and the new/old variant. They all show the same indication, you need a min of 3 doses of vaccine or some infection chucked in there for antibodies to be working better. Well worth taking 5 minutes of your time and reading the below :-

Janine Kimpel on Twitter: "First Omicron neutralization data from our lab using primary Omicron isolate from Tyrol with @AnnikaRoessler @LydiaRiepler @doctorflew and Dorothee von Laer @imed_tweets https://t.co/ids3fpxr47" / Twitter

Sandra Ciesek on Twitter: "unsere ersten Daten zur Neutralisation von Omicron versus Delta sind fertig: 2x Biontech, 2x Moderna, 1xAZ/1x Biontech nach 6 Monaten 0% Neutralisation bei Omicron, auch 3x Biontech 3 Monate nach Booster nur 25% NT versus 95% bei Delta. Bis zu 37fache Reduktion Delta vs. Omicron https://t.co/w0gHww26sg" / Twitter

Michael Bang Petersen on Twitter: "Unfortunately, the graph for vaccinations contained errors for the population distribution. Here is a corrected version. (4/4) https://t.co/YGgwIkEerO" / Twitter

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Pretty callous attitude IMO especially when the industry is the 4th biggest employer and provides around 3.2m jobs. You ruin that industry and the results would be far worse that anything that Covid can do.

Indeed. I wonder if the attitude would be the same if their industry and job was at risk?

I remember a lot of crying on the news from science types about what might happen to their industry post the B word! Some people have short memories.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty callous attitude IMO especially when the industry is the 4th biggest employer and provides around 3.2m jobs. You ruin that industry and the results would be far worse that anything that Covid can do.

You edited the rest of my comment. The simple fact is that we have to stop the cases rising. Sorry if you don't like that reality. Many people, and not just those working in pubs and restaurants, have suffered because of weak and half-arsed policies on Covid, and we are all now paying some of the price for that, and it is unfortunate that others will suffer too.

The new measures do not close pubs and restaurants, but if we don't get a grip, that may have to happen too. So if you have complaints, take them to the people who should have acted sooner and better.

D

Deleted member 21258

This variant is doubling at 2 to maybe 4 days currently(time will tell, noisy at the moment), which isnt much different to the original virus....Now think back to last Feb/March 20.

How do people think the current restrictions are going to halt or massively slow the spread, history from last year should tell you otherwise.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed. I wonder if the attitude would be the same if their industry and job was at risk?

I remember a lot of crying on the news from science types about what might happen to their industry post the B word! Some people have short memories.

Pubs and restaurants - open, no Covid passports needed.

UK science based - badly damaged by the B-word.

No comparison, except to those who understand neither.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit of a mentail wellbeing post today. Realising more and more how much this has affected me, how I have subtly being reducing where I go and who I see to the extent that, and I will admit it, doing something outside of my village scares the living daylights out of me, actual physical fear and stress. So, anyway, birthday on Saturday and we booked a weekend away in Brighton on a drunken evening at home in the summer. Some may agree, some will think I am stupid but i am going to at least try and go. I will be OK with the train down I think and the AirBnB and the restauarant on Friday night is small with precautions in place. We can take it from there. Long chat with my wife and she is happy that I can bail at any time I want without reason. I know it is not the best time of year for this but I feel that if I do not so something now to start at least trying to get on top of this, i am going to have a far greter struggle going forward trying to return to any semblance of normality.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really? What's worse than death?

For most of those who work in those industries (tend to be younger) Covid is not going to affect them, you make over 3 million people unemployed and the affects both directly to them and the knock on to their family etc would put Covid in the shade.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You edited the rest of my comment. The simple fact is that we have to stop the cases rising. Sorry if you don't like that reality. Many people, and not just those working in pubs and restaurants, have suffered because of weak and half-arsed policies on Covid, and we are all now paying some of the price for that, and it is unfortunate that others will suffer too.

The new measures do not close pubs and restaurants, but if we don't get a grip, that may have to happen too. So if you have complaints, take them to the people who should have acted sooner and better.

We've had the Kent variant, Delta and now Omicrom, we've not stopped any of them out of the country and barely slowed the spread and probably won't with any future variants. What are we going to do next Christmas when another variant arrives, shut down entire industries again?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whether Covid passports in themselves have a direct impact or not, the side effect is that the NHS vaccine booking website has apparrently been jammed since the announcement last night. Seems like some only needed a little motivation to sort themselves out with a jab whilst others only had a moral objection untl it stopped them going clubbing on a Saturday night.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really? What's worse than death?
Covid has also contributed to ancillary losses of life as well - it’s been huge on mental health and even more so when people have lost their livelihood and homes , especially in the hospitality sector

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit of a mentail wellbeing post today. Realising more and more how much this has affected me, how I have subtly being reducing where I go and who I see to the extent that, and I will admit it, doing something outside of my village scares the living daylights out of me, actual physical fear and stress. So, anyway, birthday on Saturday and we booked a weekend away in Brighton on a drunken evening at home in the summer. Some may agree, some will think I am stupid but i am going to at least try and go. I will be OK with the train down I think and the AirBnB and the restauarant on Friday night is small with precautions in place. We can take it from there. Long chat with my wife and she is happy that I can bail at any time I want without reason. I know it is not the best time of year for this but I feel that if I do not so something now to start at least trying to get on top of this, i am going to have a far greter struggle going forward trying to return to any semblance of normality.
When something gets inside your head a glib response from me is neither going to change your mind nor help so I wont make one. I hope that you do go and importantly, enjoy your weekend though (y). I've done a few of these over the last 6 months, all when allowed, and they have done me the power of good.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whether Covid passports in themselves have a direct impact or not, the side effect is that the NHS vaccine booking website has apparrently been jammed since the announcement last night. Seems like some only needed a little motivation to sort themselves out with a jab whilst others only had a moral objection untl it stopped them going clubbing on a Saturday night.

We as a country don't want to have to make them a legal requirement.. would be a political disaster for one and morally questionable

However people like you say just need a little push

So many people I know who didn't want it had it just go Be able to go away

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Go, and have a cracking time!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
For most of those who work in those industries (tend to be younger) Covid is not going to affect them, you make over 3 million people unemployed and the affects both directly to them and the knock on to their family etc would put Covid in the shade.

Maybe it won’t affect the younger people, but most of the people I see spending money in hospitality are considerably older and prime candidates for the worst that COVID can do. How much work will there be in 6 months time for the young people if we’ve killed off a lot of their customers?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've had the Kent variant, Delta and now Omicrom, we've not stopped any of them out of the country and barely slowed the spread and probably won't with any future variants. What are we going to do next Christmas when another variant arrives, shut down entire industries again?

If necessary, yes, but if prompt responses and consistent messages from you-know-who are implemented, and vaccination rates continue to rise, the risk should be less. It is possible to contain the extent of spread, others have done a much better job at this. Variant development is encouraged by half-baked measures.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe it won’t affect the younger people, but most of the people I see spending money in hospitality are considerably older and prime candidates for the worst that COVID can do. How much work will there be in 6 months time for the young people if we’ve killed off a lot of their customers?

On the flip side there won't be anywhere left for the older left to drink....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Earlier in the year I said the way we removed most restrictions along with increased levels of Covid infections wouldn't end well, also we were encouraging new strains of covid. Oh how they scoffed!