Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm certainly worried about flu season this year. I've got my first proper cold in around 18 months and it's completely floored me. Was in bed all day yesterday and looking the same today. Trying to do anything just wipes me out and I have to sit down. I assume it's because I've not been exposed to anything due to masks and social distancing that my immune system wasn't ready for this bug to get through.
Man Flu is a nightmare.
Take it easy.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You won't get me near a plane for at least a year
Well Bob Ryanair were extremely good. Face masks on all the way on the flight, no standing in corridors waiting for the loo. helped that the plane was less than 50% full.

The downside was ‘ kids’ around 30 not wearing masks on the bus from the plane to the terminal. Totally irresponsible

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Younger Colch jnr has been off school all week with a cough. School won't let him back without a negative PCR test. Took him yesterday and had one myself as I've also got a cough. We're waiting for the results to come back, hopefully later today. The question I've got is, as we've got symptoms should we be isolating until the results come back? As it happens neither of us has left the house since Monday, apart from the test yesterday, but I need to go shopping today. Under the rules do I have to wait until I get a negative result before I go out?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Younger Colch jnr has been off school all week with a cough. School won't let him back without a negative PCR test. Took him yesterday and had one myself as I've also got a cough. We're waiting for the results to come back, hopefully later today. The question I've got is, as we've got symptoms should we be isolating until the results come back? As it happens neither of us has left the house since Monday, apart from the test yesterday, but I need to go shopping today. Under the rules do I have to wait until I get a negative result before I go out?

Yes, you should self-isolate until you get a negative test result.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A musician friend caught Covid, while playing at a small but very busy venue . Fortunately he has been double jabbed, he's now isolating and only has mild symptoms so far.
BTW I refused to go to the gig because the venue was so small PHEW !!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shouldn’t she self isolate or have got tested?

Not if she's double vaxxed (plus 14 days).

Basically you only self isolate if you have symptoms or have tested positive. On the basis that you are double vaxxed, if someone else in your household has symptoms or even if they're positive you can carry on with your normal life.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
so the holiday industry kinda gets a boost but not til October the 4th re PCR test. Why wait over 2 weeks When it is already stated they are an expensive waste of time. The mind still boggles.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not if she's double vaxxed (plus 14 days).

Basically you only self isolate if you have symptoms or have tested positive. On the basis that you are double vaxxed, if someone else in your household has symptoms or even if they're positive you can carry on with your normal life.

Just because you 'can' doesn't mean you should.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m confused about the dropping of the PCR test for travellers, with reliance being placed upon the LF test.

My understanding is that LF testing provides a useful indicator of the level of infection in a population based upon a statistically significant sample size taken from that population - but that it is unreliable as a test for infection in a single individual. For an accurate test for the presence of the virus you have to take a PCR test.

Have I got that all wrong.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m confused about the dropping of the PCR test for travellers, with reliance being placed upon the LF test.

My understanding is that LF testing provides a useful indicator of the level of infection in a population based upon a statistically significant sample size taken from that population - but that it is unreliable as a test for infection in a single individual. For an accurate test for the presence of the virus you have to take a PCR test.

Have I got that all wrong.

Nope, you aren't wrong. LFTs are quick, convenient and cheap. People who do not have the lurgy are very unlikely to test positive, but people who do have the infection, especially if quite recent and viral levels are low, may not test positive. So you don't unnecessarily impose restrictions on people who don't need them, but you miss doing so on some people who do need them. That is not a major concern for epidemiological prevalence studies, not so great for testing people 'for cause', whether due to symptoms or high risk exposure.

The LFT is therefore the 'do something because we can't be seen to do nothing' test, whereas the PCR is the 'we really want to play this safe' test.

It is all driven by the travel industry lobbying to remove obstacles to people travelling, not based on a desire for accurate test results. I get this. Our family loves their overseas holiday and my boys are at ages where it is a great experience for them. We went away in summer 2019, but not 2020 or 2021, and that is a long time for a 11 or 13 year old. We would have loved to go somewhere this year but decided it just wasn't work the risk of getting stuck somewhere due to an outbreak or change in regulations. So I get it, but it could be a rather short-sighted strategy, and the unavoidable assumption must be that The Man is prepared to tolerate a certain level of endemic virus if it takes some of the business pressure off. The problem is it is rather hard to know what level of endemic virus you are going to get.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are any of the issues with the lateral flow tests due to them not being taken correctly? For example not inserting the swab far enough up the nose or not leaving it in the liquid for long enough before testing it? I guess I'm asking if user error plays a part in the results being less accurate.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are any of the issues with the lateral flow tests due to them not being taken correctly? For example not inserting the swab far enough up the nose or not leaving it in the liquid for long enough before testing it? I guess I'm asking if user error plays a part in the results being less accurate.

Bad technique certainly doesn't help. The LFT sacrifices precision for convenience.

A PCR test detects genetic material (RNA) associated with the virus. That is very sensitive, but can pick up "dead" virus too. The LFT test doesn't detect genetic material but looks for antigens, proteins associated with the virus that the immune system responds to. You need a certain level of protein to trigger a positive LFT, so lower levels with an early infection may test negative. The LFT tests could be set to reduce the number of false negatives, people who have the virus but test negative, but that would increase, perhaps dramatically, the number of false positives, because most people don't have the virus, even a small percentage increase in false positives is a lot of people who 99% are true negatives.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone else watch the film Help, about a Covid breach in a Liverpool care home.
Tough watch for anyone with relatives in a care home.
My mother passed away in a care home just over a year ago.
Thankfully they had no Covid cases and apart from spending nearly all her time in her room was very well looked after.

My MIL is also in a care home that has had no Covid cases.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone else watch the film Help, about a Covid breach in a Liverpool care home.
Tough watch for anyone with relatives in a care home.
My mother passed away in a care home just over a year ago.
Thankfully they had no Covid cases and apart from spending nearly all her time in her room was very well looked after.

My MIL is also in a care home that has had no Covid cases.

Yes and found it a really good, if, as you say, tough watch. How much was fact and how much fiction I can't say but I can imagine it would have been terrifying for any care home that had an outbreak.

Reactions: ADB

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I appreciate that this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but a concern for me was that Covid had ruined one of my highlights when staying at a hotel…..the buffet breakfast!! Over the last 12 months the traditional buffet has been replaced with placing your order and having it brought to your table. However, I am pleased to report that this weekend domestic management and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary and decided to get a hotel in London and have some child free time. This morning I was greeted by the spectacular sight of the silver domes of the buffet breakfast and we were free to go up and choose our breakfasts. My excitement hit fever pitch as I took my 3rd hash brown without feeling embarrassed when placing that order with the waiter and not feeling that I should balance my sausage and bacon mountain with any vegetables. A small win but one I am happy with!! :):)

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@road2ruin I feel this should go in 'Gladden the Heart' ?.

I'm also a huge fan of a buffet breakfast and used to stay at a hotel in Harrogate that offered one. It was always a highlight of the stay, the range and quality was very good. My in laws stayed there once on my recommendation and afterwards I asked my FiL if he enjoyed the breakfast. 'No, there was far too much on my plate', came the reply. 'Was it not a buffet, you serve yourself?', I replied. 'Yes' he came back with, poker faced o_O:ROFLMAO:.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not quite the thread topic, but a little related - had a message today that the booked flu jab appointments were cancelled due to delays. Mum had similar note a couple of weeks ago.