Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't know what it is like elsewhere in the country, but in Scotland now it seems that more and more of those going into hospital are the young and unvaccinated.
Those who believe the Social Media, or think that nothing will happen to them because they're young. But they're wrong................
Covid in Scotland: Latest ICU patients 'largely unvaccinated and young'

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Three recent shopping experiences in Cheltenham and adjoining village. Village Tesco - probably about 80% masks. Big Tesco in town - probably about 40% masks. Town centre shops - about 20% masks. I felt quite self-conscious wearing mine in the shops in town.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Our local Tesco is about 80/20 with the majority wearing masks, Waitrose is about 95/5 but the clientele is older. Local shops 80/20. Coffee shops, golf clubs and pubs less than 20% wearing masks.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see on the news this evening that daily infection rates have increased to over 39000. Although death rates are relatively low still.
Both my Grandaughters have tested positive for covid as have most of their friends from school and their football team.
I expect its similar at most schools nationwide and the reason for higher rates. Although both Grandaughters are not seriously ill, just headaches and sore throats.
Am I over reacting thinking that this is not going away?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I see on the news this evening that daily infection rates have increased to over 39000. Although death rates are relatively low still.
Both my Grandaughters have tested positive for covid as have most of their friends from school and their football team.
I expect its similar at most schools nationwide and the reason for higher rates. Although both Grandaughters are not seriously ill, just headaches and sore throats.
Genuinely curious - what led you to think it was going to go away?

Think currently the country is generally accepting the position and cracking on. Unknown whether that continues as is, once into winter.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It's never going away. What made you think it was?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know what it is like elsewhere in the country, but in Scotland now it seems that more and more of those going into hospital are the young and unvaccinated.
Those who believe the Social Media, or think that nothing will happen to them because they're young. But they're wrong................
Covid in Scotland: Latest ICU patients 'largely unvaccinated and young'
This is what my wife has heard from a local major hospital. Of 29 covid-19 cases currently being managed in hospital, only ALL of them are unvaccinated ?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Genuinely curious - what led you to think it was going to go away?

Think currently the country is generally accepting the position and cracking on. Unknown whether that continues as is, once into winter.

Sorry, I suppose the question should have been, is it ever going to be manageable as in seasonal flu, measles and mumps etc.?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
A question for Ethan.
My Grandaughters re tested tonight and the 2nd line is stronger, meaning the virus is breeding inside her. This sounds worrying-is it cause for concern?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm away this weekend, staying next to Powfoot GC if anyone knows the area. Anyway I'm walking my dog this morning and get chatting to a guy who works here. All very pleasant, we then get joined by a grizzled local walking his dog. We were talking about the holiday park being affected by covid, jabs etc. The old guy pipes up 'my lad won't get jabbed. He has covid right now, struggles to breathe '. We ask if he has been jabbed, 'no, I don't need it'. The other guy just looked me, no words were needed ?

They walk amongst us, they really do.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm away this weekend, staying next to Powfoot GC if anyone knows the area. Anyway I'm walking my dog this morning and get chatting to a guy who works here. All very pleasant, we then get joined by a grizzled local walking his dog. We were talking about the holiday park being affected by covid, jabs etc. The old guy pipes up 'my lad won't get jabbed. He has covid right now, struggles to breathe '. We ask if he has been jabbed, 'no, I don't need it'. The other guy just looked me, no words were needed ?

They walk amongst us, they really do.

He was the fastest sperm, I wonder how thick the second fastest was ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Covid: The UK is Europe's virus hotspot - does it matter? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58849024
Well we should certainly ask why; then understand why, and then ask what-if it continues. Because unless we know the answers to these questions we won’t be able to formulate mitigations and then decide what we might choose to do now (if anything) and in the future in addition to what we are already doing. But I guess we all know this.

I‘ll add. For me it feels worrying, but tbh I don’t know if my concerns are well founded or just fears given the dreadful experience of the last 18months.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Covid: The UK is Europe's virus hotspot - does it matter? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58849024

The figures are meaningless unless the number of tests being carried out is also noted. That article makes no mention of the number of tests being carried out by each country. For example, if we're doing 50k tests a day and getting 10k positives then we're at the same level as a country doing 10k tests a day and getting 2k positives. Yes, the numbers look much worse for us with 5 times the amount of positive results but unless you know the number of tests being carried out you can't compare the figures. To paraphrase Trump, if you reduce the number of tests being done then you reduce the number of positive results.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure how the media can claims like they do when they have no idea on the criteria used by each country.
Surely number of infections and deaths is a given criteria. I accept that if testing is not uniform across countries then it's not possible to draw comparisons. Is testing lower in other European countries though?