Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chatting to a work colleague a couple of days ago, he was telling me that he had to leave work early to pick his kids up as he has them while his ex gets over a dose of covid. Get in to work today and find out he is giving me a lift to where I'm due to meet a coach. He's coughing a lung up the whole way. I asked if he's ok, his reply 'oh yeah its not covid definetely not'. I'm fuming tonight as I reckon its 100% covid but he won't get tested. Thinking I should say something to the boss tomorrow, don't want to be a snitch, but...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chatting to a work colleague a couple of days ago, he was telling me that he had to leave work early to pick his kids up as he has them while his ex gets over a dose of covid. Get in to work today and find out he is giving me a lift to where I'm due to meet a coach. He's coughing a lung up the whole way. I asked if he's ok, his reply 'oh yeah its not covid definetely not'. I'm fuming tonight as I reckon its 100% covid but he won't get tested. Thinking I should say something to the boss tomorrow, don't want to be a snitch, but...
It's not being a snitch, it's being socially responsible. It's keeping people safe, alive, not being a spreader. Speak to your boss, no question. (Let's hope it's something else but just in case........)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you don’t, and it spreads through the office and your boss find outs. You will on for a grade one bollockin.
Ok it may be if and but. But if I had gone to both my parents and I n law’s Christmas Day. They would of caught COVID off us which we did not know we were carrying.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

The people commenting are not really epidemiologists or infectious disease experts, but it seems reasonable to say it could all settle down in a year or so. On the other hand, it may not. I think I said much the same here months ago.

Covid is different from the common cold, which is caused by a bunch of different viruses including some coronaviruses, in that as well as causing an initial respiratory illness, it can cause a severe systemic inflammatory condition rather like sepsis. This is what kills most people who die from Covid.

With flu, over years, people have acquired a layered immunity through multiple exposure to wild viruses and, in some cases, vaccines, and that immune response is now quite elaborate for most people, not so much for older people whose immune response is not as good. So the immune system has "seen" quite a few variations of flu, and has figured out enough to recognise most new variations. We have not yet reached the same place with Covid, but in time will get there. A combination of vaccination, perhaps boosters, and exposure (hopefully asymptomatic or mild) to wild virus will add to the immune systems ability to respond flexibly. As with flu, every now and again, a variant will come along which beats the immune system.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tested positive on Sunday. Only really have a sore head and lost a lot of my sense of smell and taste. If this is as bad as it gets for me I'll he happy enough.

A guy who I work with tested positive and I went for a test 2 days after his result. Sure enough, positive.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Tested positive on Sunday. Only really have a sore head and lost a lot of my sense of smell and taste. If this is as bad as it gets for me I'll he happy enough.

A guy who I work with tested positive and I went for a test 2 days after his result. Sure enough, positive.

Get well soon Gary, it’s not pleasant when it affects you.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Strangely comforting that in Scotland we are having to wear a mask in all indoor settings, and to see pretty solid compliance places we have been, as similarly getting asked to register presence for T&T by scanning QR code or writing name and phone number. Disturbingly easy to forget to wear a mask even although we still wear masks in most, but not all and not always, indoor settings at home, and no need to register for T&T.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must say they have really got this testing right

Booked drive through appointment

Picked test myself

In and out in 10 mins zero contact with anyone. They dropped test on passenger seat and called them for what to do

Then dropped test in a box afters

As I have no symptoms and was because of close contact and I'm double jabbed I carry on as normal until I hear otherwise

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not quite the thread topic, but a little related - had a message today that the booked flu jab appointments were cancelled due to delays. Mum had similar note a couple of weeks ago.

Our surgery isn’t giving flu jabs until your due your booster which puts us well behind other surgery’s in the area, think I’ll have mine through the chemists.

We do however have stacks of fuel and no queues :love::love:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I downloaded the newest book on the virus, only released yesterday "What really happened in Wuhan". It followed release of a documentary made in Australia by Sky (I believe)

I can't believe, having only got to events around January 2020, the lies of the Chinese authorities and the fact that they have been allowed to get away with the cover ups and misdirections, scot free, it would seem.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Strangely comforting that in Scotland we are having to wear a mask in all indoor settings, and to see pretty solid compliance places we have been, as similarly getting asked to register presence for T&T by scanning QR code or writing name and phone number. Disturbingly easy to forget to wear a mask even although we still wear masks in most, but not all and not always, indoor settings at home, and no need to register for T&T.
That was what shocked me when we travelled from Scotland to England. People in England were so much more lackadaisical about Covid. Masks not being worn in bars, hotels, shops. Social distancing not being observed, much less sanitising. It really was quite shocking to us.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The idiot who is the ex-husband of my stepsons partner took their kids on holiday to Benidorm. He did it just as the kids returned from summer holidays, so they missed a week from their new school which they had just moved to. Now they've come back they've all tested positive for Covid! :mad:.
My Stepson works with teenagers from broken homes, his partner works with special needs kids and also has her own health issues.
Her ex's reaction? "It's not my fault!"
When will people realise that Covid is not going anywhere?