Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What can I say? Through my work in the Asbestos industry I know about masks.

Anyway you might want to get yourself checked, I think you have caught a dose of Dr Axon’s “Sneering attitude” ???

Why bother with all the effort of getting properly fitted masks. Sticking your head in a ceiling void full of asbestos wearing a home made face covering will be fine.

www.hiltonpark.net
Why bother with all the effort of getting properly fitted masks. Sticking your head in a ceiling void full of asbestos wearing a home made face covering will be fine.
Two completely different situations and use of a mask. One is for stopping things coming in (asbestos) the other is for preventing projection (Covid).
I have worked in both healthcare and asbestos industries so I also have 'some knowledge' of what I'm talking about. 100% reduction in projection of breath particles is optimum but 50% is better than nothing because it reduces viral load.
One thing this pandemic is the little knowledge some people feel they have can be a dangerous thing.
Also what the Telegraph are doing by signposting the Dr of engineering as some font of mask knowledge mirrors the "white coating" the tobacco and climate change deniers did.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seeing you accuse someone of having a sneering attitude did make me chuckle. You do have some balls i'll give you that ????

Why do you care? You said that you will never wear a mask again, so you obviously don't give (mod edit) about anybody and are quite prepared to pass on a lethal virus. I will take precisely zero lectures from you.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned nothing has changed - except I have to rake a bunker and CAN (but so far haven't) removed a pin. Avoiding close contact indoors and wearing a mask. Popped into a shop today and every customer wearing a mask.

Felt most uncomfortable at county match yesterday as we were told no masks required in clubhouse and 16 of us at very close quarters for lunch and tea. Mind you if the virus doesn't like hot temperatures it would struggle in there - more like a flipping sauna.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Why do you care? You said that you will never wear a mask again, so you obviously don't give (mod edit) about anybody and are quite prepared to pass on a lethal virus. I will take precisely zero lectures from you.

Perhaps you will take one from me

Your input on this thread is invaluable, but if you continue to lose your rag, then it’s not going to end well
@theoneandonly you would do well to back off too

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I walked in to the changing rooms and a guy in there (I know him well) says- " Jim I thought you would be wearing a mask"
- I quipped "I find it hard to take a bite out of a sandwich wearing one" showing him what was in my hand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My insider on the nightclub double-vax certification front advises that clubs will just get on with it, whether it’s the right thing to do or not maybe in the short term OK - longer term who knows. But one thing is certain…the clubs will need to hire additional door security to deal with the hassle and trouble that WILL break out when, for instance, one of a group is refused entry. What often tends to happen is that the whole group kicks off and things are usually exacerbated by alcohol.

However the clubs and those who work in them have felt, and have actually been, so neglected during the pandemic that they will open and deal with it, but they won’t be requiring masks to be worn, they need everyone through the door that they can get to try and clear their debts and cover the additional costs.

Make money? Well maybe…but that isn’t going to be their primary objective…they just want to be able to stand up again and wash their face on income and costs.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well you have certainly been caught in his gullible follower net. Axon is a raging self-publicist, but you don't know who I am at all. Hardly self-publicising. Axon had a go at doctors in his piece, presumably because his arguments couldn't stand on their own legs.

Sorry if I am impatient with stupid and spurious arguments, especially when repeated as if that somehow makes them better. It doesn't.

I have never heard of Dr Axon until I read his name on here and saw your pot/kettle/black description and it tickled me.
You have been getting away with murder on this thread because of your expertise so the sooner the virus dies out win/win for the forum I think.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have never heard of Dr Axon until I read his name on here and saw your pot/kettle/black description and it tickled me.
You have been getting away with murder on this thread because of your expertise so the sooner the virus dies out win/win for the forum I think.

I am well used to being trolled by people like you once they run out of something coherent to say. Haven't murdered anybody, yet.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am well used to being trolled by people like you once they run out of something coherent to say. Haven't murdered anybody, yet.

The thing is I don’t think anyone here is particularly trolling you. People have views which differ to your own and you simply cannot accept that and you resort to patronising and being condescending to people.

In my mind trolling someone is taking an opposite viewpoint that is clearly wrong just for the sake of getting a rise however with the subject of masks there is no right or wrong answer. Many different medical agencies have flipped between ‘they’re good’, ‘they make no difference’ and back again and despite being 18 months into this whole thing there is no firm evidence on either side which, in my mind, shows that the benefits are marginal (at best) and so does not warrant the tone you take with people who dare disagree with you. I would have assumed that, being a man of science, you would only take such an entrenched view if the evidence was overwhelming however it’s clearly not.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The thing is I don’t think anyone here is particularly trolling you. People have views which differ to your own and you simply cannot accept that and you resort to patronising and being condescending to people.

In my mind trolling someone is taking an opposite viewpoint that is clearly wrong just for the sake of getting a rise however with the subject of masks there is no right or wrong answer. Many different medical agencies have flipped between ‘they’re good’, ‘they make no difference’ and back again and despite being 18 months into this whole thing there is no firm evidence on either side which, in my mind, shows that the benefits are marginal (at best) and so does not warrant the tone you take with people who dare disagree with you. I would have assumed that, being a man of science, you would only take such an entrenched view if the evidence was overwhelming however it’s clearly not.

I don't want to enter into a spat but the central medical advice has not flipped back and forth it has essentially changed once. At the begining of the pandemic there was no recommendation for masks in most places , the evidence was not strong and masks were required badly in hospitals as PPE was in short supply.
Since then most medical bodies have advocated mask wearing in most countries because the evidence has grown during the pandemic as it has been researched further.
Requirements have been dropped in some places as numbers have decreased but the evidence behind the efficacy of mask wearing has grown during the pandemic.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

The evidence for masks has moved from being a bit doubtful to being fairly clearly of benefit, and also posing no risk whatsoever, so a strong benefit-risk. That evidence has included epidemiological evidence, specific testing and the observation of the bleeding obvious. Medical agencies, whatever they are, have not been flipping back and forth. That is simply false.

Political organisations have prevaricated in the extent to which they are willing to require masks because of the response of their constituents. That is precisely why this recent requirement has stopped in the UK - Tory backbenchers, who couldn't care less about science. That is very different. Your conclusion that this means they are marginal (at best) is not what most respectable medical bodies think.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts, and some people confuse the two. I disagree my view is entrenched, which always implies basically wrong but unchangeable. The people who boldly declare that they will never wear a mask again are those with a fundmentalist view.

Dannyc

Visit site

What a load of tosh

Dannyc

Visit site
The evidence for masks has moved from being a bit doubtful to being fairly clearly of benefit, and also posing no risk whatsoever, so a strong benefit-risk. That evidence has included epidemiological evidence, specific testing and the observation of the bleeding obvious. Medical agencies, whatever they are, have not been flipping back and forth. That is simply false.

Political organisations have prevaricated in the extent to which they are willing to require masks because of the response of their constituents. That is precisely why this recent requirement has stopped in the UK - Tory backbenchers, who couldn't care less about science. That is very different. Your conclusion that this means they are marginal (at best) is not what most respectable medical bodies think.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts, and some people confuse the two. I disagree my view is entrenched, which always implies basically wrong but unchangeable. The people who boldly declare that they will never wear a mask again are those with a fundmentalist view.
Anyone with half a brain cell mate will understand that masks will help with stopping u spreading a disease through your mouth I don’t need science to tell me that

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It seems as if your view on masks is driven by a personal wish not to wear one and not logic. If you don't want to wear them then that's your choice but please accept it as that.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It seems as if your view on masks is driven by a personal wish not to wear one and not logic. If you don't want to wear them then that's your choice but please accept it as that.

I actually don't particularly care either way, wearing a mask is no great hardship and I've been to do the school run and done the supermarket and been masked up on both occasions. My personal feeling is that the majority that are being worn just don't do the job and don't particularly stop the spread however I still wouldn't put myself in the 'anti-mask' group.