Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have just got the letter for my first Covid jab (62 and living in Scotland). My missus had hers at the weekend (58 with health issues). I drove her down and when she came out she said that it was very quiet and the person giving the jab told her a lot of people weren't turning up for their appointments. I just don't understand it. These are people in the higher risk category who still choose not to be vaccinated. Part of me is saying that if they get ill and die as a result, they've only got themselves to blame. But it's the fact they could pass it on to others indicates the selfishness of them. Yes, I know you can still be a carrier with the vaccine, but it is less likely and anything you can do to stop the spread, I believe you have a moral duty to do.
Did you get a text invt you for an appointment?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have just got the letter for my first Covid jab (62 and living in Scotland). My missus had hers at the weekend (58 with health issues). I drove her down and when she came out she said that it was very quiet and the person giving the jab told her a lot of people weren't turning up for their appointments. I just don't understand it. These are people in the higher risk category who still choose not to be vaccinated. Part of me is saying that if they get ill and die as a result, they've only got themselves to blame. But it's the fact they could pass it on to others indicates the selfishness of them. Yes, I know you can still be a carrier with the vaccine, but it is less likely and anything you can do to stop the spread, I believe you have a moral duty to do.

I thought you had to proactively make an appointment once you got the letter? That's what I had to do.

The notion of people making appointments for themselves then not turning up in large numbers doesn't make any sense to me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just crossing my fingers for the next 2-3 weeks. If we can clear the hurdle of opening the schools without a dramatic increase in the numbers then I think we can all look forward to increased freedoms in accordance with the road map (especially a hair cut, I so need a hair cut), but if the numbers start climbing at a worrying level then I can see all of the steps being put back a bit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just crossing my fingers for the next 2-3 weeks. If we can clear the hurdle of opening the schools without a dramatic increase in the numbers then I think we can all look forward to increased freedoms in accordance with the road map (especially a hair cut, I so need a hair cut), but if the numbers start climbing at a worrying level then I can see all of the steps being put back a bit.
They obviously have numbers in mind that would either confirm the relaxations or trigger a delay..it would be interesting to know them..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought you had to proactively make an appointment once you got the letter? That's what I had to do.

The notion of people making appointments for themselves then not turning up in large numbers doesn't make any sense to me.
Just people. I don't get it either as it is easy enough to cancel an appointment - even at the last minute - and if you did there's a good chance someone else will grab it. When I had my first on Saturday I was given it 10 minutes early, so guessing there had been maybe one or two of 'no-shows'. But that just meant I could be done early.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I think schools is the big one, they're obviously expecting the R number to increase however we don't know to what level will be acceptable. Assuming the easing of restrictions is confirmed for April 12th then I think/hope the remainder of the restrictions will be eased as per the timetable.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think schools is the big one, they're obviously expecting the R number to increase however we don't know to what level will be acceptable. Assuming the easing of restrictions is confirmed for April 12th then I think/hope the remainder of the restrictions will be eased as per the timetable.

Not ideal but I guess that we may be able to take an increase in the infection rate if that does not then translate to hospitalisations and, sadly, deaths. With the kids getting tested it is bound to pick up more cases but if those are minor or asymptomatic (ignoring long covid here for ease and because it does not appear to be factored in to any other equation) then that may still leave the path open for some relaxations (I have a BBQ planned for good Friday with friends that I have not seen since mid October and so I hope so. Sadly I am the only one in the group not yet vaccinated for extra protection).

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not ideal but I guess that we may be able to take an increase in the infection rate if that does not then translate to hospitalisations and, sadly, deaths. With the kids getting tested it is bound to pick up more cases but if those are minor or asymptomatic (ignoring long covid here for ease and because it does not appear to be factored in to any other equation) then that may still leave the path open for some relaxations (I have a BBQ planned for good Friday with friends that I have not seen since mid October and so I hope so. Sadly I am the only one in the group not yet vaccinated for extra protection).

From what I gather the relaxations on 29th March are part of step 1 so unless anything goes horrendously wrong will definitely happen so your BBQ is safe (bar the weather). It is the relaxations in mid April (Step 2) that will be put back if the numbers go above what is acceptable.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I gather the relaxations on 29th March are part of step 1 so unless anything goes horrendously wrong will definitely happen so your BBQ is safe (bar the weather). It is the relaxations in mid April (Step 2) that will be put back if the numbers go above what is acceptable.

They can keep everything else shut on 12th April, just open Barber Shops.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Good Friday is still in Step one - so is "can meet outside as two households, or can meet outside as up to 6 people from any household" . Hope that's not going to be a bother to your BBQ.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good Friday is still in Step one - so is "can meet outside as two households, or can meet outside as up to 6 people from any household" . Hope that's not going to be a bother to your BBQ.

Can't wait for this tbh, we are a family of 5. The twins are so small but before we would have to break the rule of 6 for everyone to see my sister and her husband for a walk

What I did was walk ahead with the twins so they had eldest then swapped with my wife

Now can have them both as 2 houses

Plus private gardens is a winner we can go my mum's garden to meet her .. it's massive

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can't wait for this tbh, we are a family of 5. The twins are so small but before we would have to break the rule of 6 for everyone to see my sister and her husband for a walk

What I did was walk ahead with the twins so they had eldest then swapped with my wife

Now can have them both as 2 houses

Plus private gardens is a winner we can go my mum's garden to meet her .. it's massive

Same here, already got friends booked in across the Easter weekend for some alfresco dining!! Also got the folks coming down as they haven't visited our new house yet, whilst they can't see the inside at least they will be able to see the garden plus they haven't seen our daughter since September so they're looking forward to that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here, already got friends booked in across the Easter weekend for some alfresco dining!! Also got the folks coming down as they haven't visited our new house yet, whilst they can't see the inside at least they will be able to see the garden plus they haven't seen our daughter since September so they're looking forward to that.

Last summer I bought a gazebos for the garden visits .. best get that back out

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The private garden is the big thing for me. From last summer my friends and I are all geared up for outside entertaining in most weathers so I am now massively hyped for some real social interaction

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As we seem to be coming out of this Covid slowly, in the last 10 days there’s four lads I know who have passed away. The latest I found out an hour ago. This bloody virus still has a sting in its tail.
stay safe everyone and RIP John aka two dogs.