Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played golf for many years with a GP. He had strong views on prolonging death and was in favour of assisted death. I agree with him. We wouldn't let a dog suffer but argue that a human should...

The young lady, 47, I spoke of earlier in the thread always said she wouldn't have chemo but changed her mind when there was no other choice.

I'm all for a bottle of pills and a damn good single malt.

And if people want chemo or other treatments, they should have them, but be made aware that sometimes the side effects can have the opposite effect. Assisted death is a controversial issue in the medical profession, the BMA has changed its mind a few times. All I know is that when I get an end stage neurodegenerative condition in which life is not worth living, I am happy for it to stop.

D

Deleted member 16999

And if people want chemo or other treatments, they should have them, but be made aware that sometimes the side effects can have the opposite effect. Assisted death is a controversial issue in the medical profession, the BMA has changed its mind a few times. All I know is that when I get an end stage neurodegenerative condition in which life is not worth living, I am happy for it to stop.
Just been through this with the mother-in-law, initial diagnosis was breast Cancer back in 2003, went through a mastectomy and hormone treatment and got through the initial 5 years, sadly in 2017 it returned as metastatic breast cancer widespread in her bones and after discussion she said she wouldn’t have chemo, still we got a diagnosis of 3-5yrs.

Sadly she passed away on sunday just short of 4 years since it returned.

Extremely brave lady, but I must say the last 2 weeks were the worst, watching her, knowing she was dying just lying there slowly drifting away, it was beyond cruel! I find it a complete mind blow that we can put a cat or dog out of their misery, but a human we have to stand back and let time take it’s course.

Don’t get me wrong the staff in the Hospice were beyond reproach, but how they can go through that time and time again with patients and their familes tells me how special some of our NHS Staff are, and thank god we have them.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just been through this with the mother-in-law, initial diagnosis was breast Cancer back in 2003, went through a mastectomy and hormone treatment and got through the initial 5 years, sadly in 2017 it returned as metastatic breast cancer widespread in her bones and after discussion she said she wouldn’t have chemo, still we got a diagnosis of 3-5yrs.

Sadly she passed away on sunday just short of 4 years since it returned.

Extremely brave lady, but I must say the last 2 weeks were the worst, watching her, knowing she was dying just lying there slowly drifting away, it was beyond cruel! I find it a complete mind blow that we can put a cat or dog out of their misery, but a human we have to stand back and let time take it’s course.

Don’t get me wrong the staff in the Hospice were beyond reproach, but how they can go through that time and time again with patients and their familes tells me how special some of our NHS Staff are, and thank god we have them.

Working in a hospice or in palliative care takes a special sort of person. As a medical student, I realised I was not that sort of person.

I am originally from Ireland (per the avatar) and there is a slightly different attitude to death there. The idea that there are worse things than dying is more embedded in the culture.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to admit that I am really struggling at the moment mentally. The thought of being in Tier 2 for the foreseeable pretty much fills me with dread. Selfish I know as people have it far worse than me but seeing my friends at the weekend is a massive stress reliever and helps me get work out of my system. To think that I will continue to be deprived of that for a continued period is really nagging at me. The last lockdown was easier. Used to sit outside on the drive with a bottle of wine and chat with people as they went past on their daily exercise. Once outdoor meetings were allowed it was great and we would all sit in the garden until the early hours of the morning with a few bottles of wine just chatting away. None of that seems possible or attractive over Winter and so all I am doing is working and hanging round the house. The idea of a break at Xmas was a bit of a shining light but the inlaws have made it clear that, as it is our turn to visit them, they expect us down their over Xmas (their other children have kids so play the 'we have to stay at home with them' card). As such, really not going to be able to make the most of any Xmas relaxation to have a few days of normal life.

Most of this is pretty much first world problems. I have a job, a wife so not on my own, food on the table and a roof over my head to doing much better than some but the idea of not being able to meet people inside for a period potentially up to March is really playing on me at the moment.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seriously hoping that my area returns to Tier 1 as it was before the lockdown. Selfish I know but if we are put in to tier 2 it could be March before I get to meet up with any of my friends in the village (in laws won't back down on us going their for Xmas if allowed despite it meaning that they are the only people we will get to see, potentially until March, if the lockdown is set at tier 2). May seem small minded but I have not met up with anyone outside of work for a while now and the thought if keeping that up for another 4 months (including my birthday) is filling me with a bit of dread. Having worked solidly without a day off since last Xmas, I could really do with a 5 day relaxation of rules where I can meet friends and let loose a bit but any break over Xmas will be spend sat at the inlaws.
If I had not had a day off for a year I would put my foot down and tell hid your not going.
Is it worth the hassle ? Only you can answer that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I had not had a day off for a year I would put my foot down and tell hid your not going.
Is it worth the hassle ? Only you can answer that.

Not really. She has not seen her mum much this year and so is happy to go and we have both told our families that we have been alternating going to their xmas meals for long enough now (both nearly 50) and so they were getting one more each. Offered to change her family's last one to next year so as it would be more normal but they were not keen on that.

My best hopes now are travel restrictions or a ban on overnight stays so as I can do Newbury and back in a day. that would at least give me the rest of the xmas period to arrange more local evenings.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really. She has not seen her mum much this year and so is happy to go and we have both told our families that we have been alternating going to their xmas meals for long enough now (both nearly 50) and so they were getting one more each. Offered to change her family's last one to next year so as it would be more normal but they were not keen on that.

My best hopes now are travel restrictions or a ban on overnight stays so as I can do Newbury and back in a day. that would at least give me the rest of the xmas period to arrange more local evenings.
Well I hope it goes your way.
That’s a long time not to have a day off work.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I hope it goes your way.
That’s a long time not to have a day off work.

Don't I know it. Was going to have time off then there was lockdown one and so it seemed pointless plus I was gald to be picked as one not on furlough, then we came out of lockdown to a property boom and so worked through that then was planning time off just as lockdown 2 started. Add to that people off on self isolation etc and the last day off I had was the time off last Xmas.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess the one thing that I will say is that I will not complain because one thing is permitted and another is not. Everyone has that one thing that makes this all a little more bearable. Understandably, for many on this forum it is a round of golf but that thing could be a meal with friends, a quiet pint in the local, walking around shops, being able to go to the gym. Everyone has something that they miss more than anything else so my aim is to be happy when something else is permitted as that may be the thing that really brings a smile to someone's face, rather than rally against it because, in my mind. it is more of a risk than the activity I want to do. Whatever is permitted, there are going to always be many who will do it correctly and safely and idiots who will flaunt the rules and increase the risk (golf included) and it is only ever those flaunting the rules that will appear in the media.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Folk have all gone nuts. Just spent an hour in the car with the radio on for much of it.

TalkSport have run endless programming since resumption of footy "demanding" that fans are let back into stadiums.

Now it is about to happen, Jim White kept moaning that it wasn't safe or appropriate. Simon Jordon (of course) has a better way of doing it!

Meanwhile, Boris has ordered that Old Trafford remain shut, as the fans have suffered enough! :) (pick any ground you like!)

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit pf a pain because locally, one of things I'm allowed to do is play golf unfortunately the weather is vile and the course flooded. Worse for others I guess.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vaccine question @Ethan . Sooner or later another coronavirus is bound to emerge from somewhere (probably the same place as thisnone:rolleyes:) . Although it will be a different virus to Covid will all the research and knowledge gained from this give us a decent headstart in producing another vaccine or will it be back to square one?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't I know it. Was going to have time off then there was lockdown one and so it seemed pointless plus I was gald to be picked as one not on furlough, then we came out of lockdown to a property boom and so worked through that then was planning time off just as lockdown 2 started. Add to that people off on self isolation etc and the last day off I had was the time off last Xmas.

Then just to make it worse you get clients phoning up and complaining that everyone bar you in the chain appears to be incompetent :(

Sorry to hear youre battling, i think most of us are to some degree or another, as were all being affected to some degree, albeit often in very different ways and dont always appreciate the effect its having on others

If you need an ear to vent you know where i am!!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vaccine question @Ethan . Sooner or later another coronavirus is bound to emerge from somewhere (probably the same place as thisnone:rolleyes:) . Although it will be a different virus to Covid will all the research and knowledge gained from this give us a decent headstart in producing another vaccine or will it be back to square one?
On the news yesterday they were saying that everything they have learnt from previous corona viruses has helped with this vaccine.
So I assume the more virus we have the more they will learn about it.
Hopefully they will just be able to tweak it to fit the new strain.
Ethan will let us know for sure.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then just to make it worse you get clients phoning up and complaining that everyone bar you in the chain appears to be incompetent :(

Sorry to hear youre battling, i think most of us are to some degree or another, as were all being affected to some degree, albeit often in very different ways and dont always appreciate the effect its having on others

If you need an ear to vent you know where i am!!!

Need to see how Thursday goes, fully expecting to be in Tier 2 but if we end up back in Tier 1 then all is well in the world again.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I’m not Ethan, but I think the answer to that has to be yes, given the Oxford Uni vaccine itself is a result of years of research, fine tuned for COVID-19.

Anyone who thinks this vaccine has been developed from scratch in eight months is rather misunderstanding the process I suspect.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is there any guide as to which tier places are likely to be in? Suspect theres a chance were in a higher tier here as we come under the same umbrella as Bournemouth these days, and cases have been quite high especially at/near the university

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there any guide as to which tier places are likely to be in? Suspect theres a chance were in a higher tier here as we come under the same umbrella as Bournemouth these days, and cases have been quite high especially at/near the university
I believe they are going to do it in regions, a bit more blunt, less targetted, this time, and then it depends on numbers and the trend. You can pretty much work it out from there.

I am expecting us to be in tier 3 as we get lumped as a NE region and there are a number of hot spots in the group. The numbers in Northumberland are not great still but we should probably be tier 2 rather than 3.

Anywhere with a university nearby is going to be in trouble so tier 2-3 here you come. The only places in tier 1 will be islands or remote tips of the country. I can't see any regular regions escaping 2 or 3 until mid December at the earliest. Just my reading of it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe they are going to do it in regions, a bit more blunt, less targetted, this time, and then it depends on numbers and the trend. You can pretty much work it out from there.

I am expecting us to be in tier 3 as we get lumped as a NE region and there are a number of hot spots in the group. The numbers in Northumberland are not great still but we should probably be tier 2 rather than 3.

Anywhere with a university nearby is going to be in trouble so tier 2-3 here you come. The only places in tier 1 will be islands or remote tips of the country. I can't see any regular regions escaping 2 or 3 until mid December at the earliest. Just my reading of it.

Pretty much how I read it. We will be grouped in as easy midlands or even just Lincolnshire but either one puts us in with some high level areas in North Lincolnshire and so I suspect that Tier 2 is coming. Where we are in South Kesteven is not too bad but enough Tier 3 regions bordering us to make us a concern. Not sure many places, if any, will escape being in Tier 2 at least.