Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, if you are saying that a weak middling lockdown policy is the worst of all worlds, I can agree with that to some extent. Lockdown works if it is done pretty firmly, but a half-arsed lockdown is only going to prolong the pain. Nobody actually likes lockdown, but it might be better to rip the plaster off, as it were.

As it stands, we will need a further lockdown in January, in my opinion.

On the vaccine, I am confident that the collaborations between academia and pharma will deliver more than one vaccine, and whilst not perfect, they will change the course of this crisis. I expect administration to start to high risk groups in Q1-2/2021 but it will take some time to work through the population.

So you think a 4 week lockdown will only buy us 4-6 weeks before we need another one?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
are they gonna lockdown for another 4 mths when someone inevitably brings in the virus again in a few weeks or mths?
Don't know.

Do we know that Sweden will act as they did 'next time'.

But clearly if you want to stop infection in it's tracks then you can do it by severely applied lockdown...as Melbourne has proved. And since (I believe) Australia still has it's borders closed; and it's internal state borders are closed - I am thinking they will be aiming to keep infection managed within the borders of the states using rigorous Test, Track and Trace.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
are they gonna lockdown for another 4 mths when someone inevitably brings in the virus again in a few weeks or mths?

I think the reality is we’ll be in and out of lockdown for some time to come. In truth, I’m surprised this is only the second national lockdown.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Christmas ?
Most people aren't Christian so we are prepared to risk another round of infections, deaths and lockdown for the sake of a turkey blowout and some new socks (ok bit of an exaggeration there) Hopefully most Uni Students and School kids will have herd immunity by then.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Couldn't get out of the local retail park due to the massive queues of cars waiting to get a drive through McDonnalds backing up onto the main road and blocking off the roundabout ?
How can anyone be that desperate for a fatburger and fries. Ironically they will probably stay open.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Couldn't get out of the local retail park due to the massive queues of cars waiting to get a drive through McDonnalds backing up onto the main road and blocking off the roundabout ?
How can anyone be that desperate for a fatburger and fries. Ironically they will probably stay open.
They are staying open and for drive through and takeaway, my local one is anyway

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty much. I can't see how the compressed Christmas shopping time, visits to the pub, kids coming back from Uni etc won't result in another major spike.

That is the depressing aspect. A significant reason for the four week lockdown seems to be ensuring Christmas goes ahead as normal. If it does, and the festivities force a further lockdown early in 2021, the people in charge should be condemned from all sides. This pandemic is either serious, or it's not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Christmas ?
Most people aren't Christian so we are prepared to risk another round of infections, deaths and lockdown for the sake of a turkey blowout and some new socks (ok bit of an exaggeration there) Hopefully most Uni Students and School kids will have herd immunity by then.
And even if you are a practising Christian, Christmas Day is not just about turkey and presents...though it is very much about family and celebrating. Personally speaking it will be a blow if, as seems likely, we who are so inclined are unable to join together in praise. The lockdown might be over by then, but I expect serious restrictions on gatherings to remain.

But so be it. I will simply be joining with others in on-line zoom celebrations at midnight then on the day - and will join in lustily from home...but difficult times now and to come and what I might well miss and lose about Christmas is not that significant at all compared with what others are losing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would rather they just made a call on Xmas now. At the moment I cannot plan at all. Would rather know now even if it is bad news. 2 of us at home, in-laws with an overnight stay, in-laws there and back same day, 6 people from the village, really not fussed which as there are plus points to all if it but I would rather know now than just have 3 weeks to plan and arrange. I know it will be different and unlikely to be large groups round a table but I would rather be able to plan, make sure relatives are all sorted etc

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you highlight tangible outcomes in Sweden in relation to deaths, cases, the economy or other health issues that worked out better in Sweden than Norway and Finland, the two adjacent countries of similar shape, population and, for Norway at least, culture?

I am not comparing Sweden to its neighbours. I am comparing Sweden's approach to the rest of us. It is obvious Sweden suffered a lot more deaths than its neighbours and they had a bad run on care homes as we did in the early stages. But you are missing my point, that i tried to emphasise - to repeat again - the effects on deaths and everything else in our economy is now outweighing the deaths saved from covid and is going to get exponentially worse. And, you say you can get doctors appoiuntmets face to face. Maybe some can. But two very close family members can refute this totally. This would not be the case, absolutely, if we did not have covid

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Letting Covid rip through the population is not going to make it easier to get medical treatment for other ailments. Quite the contrary in fact.

i repeat what i have siad. The effects are now biiger than the saving - in lives, jobs, money and any other measure. Locking down is futile and doomed for failure unless we know a cure is coming very soon. Nearly all getting covid are going to cope fine. If we spent a fraction of what we have on protecting the vulnerable we would be in a far better state than we are now, in my opinion

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not comparing Sweden to its neighbours. I am comparing Sweden's approach to the rest of us. It is obvious Sweden suffered a lot more deaths than its neighbours and they had a bad run on care homes as we did in the early stages. But you are missing my point, that i tried to emphasise - to repeat again - the effects on deaths and everything else in our economy is now outweighing the deaths saved from covid and is going to get exponentially worse. And, you say you can get doctors appoiuntmets face to face. Maybe some can. But two very close family members can refute this totally. This would not be the case, absolutely, if we did not have covid

I am not missing the point at all, you cited Sweden as an example of things being done better, and I refuted it. People need to get off this false idea that Sweden had a good lockdown. They didn't. They had a disaster. Their situation is, in many ways, not comparable to us but if you think it is, so too are New Zealand or South Korea. They locked down hard and had much better case and death rates than either the UK or Sweden.

Now you are switching to an unsubstantiated point that the effects on deaths and the economy is worse than Covid, and are getting exponentially worse. Is that taking the piss, using the term used to describe pandemic growth? In any case, it simply isn't true. The economic effects would have been much less had effective and swift control been applied in a timely manner to Covid. That is the lesson of history seen in previous pandemics. Instead we have seen an utter [banned word] show, and failing to control things now will only prolong matters.

The lunatic plans for herd immunity advocated by the American libertarians funding the Great Barrington Declaration will not work, but will cost tens or hundreds of thousands of lives while failing. It is utterly irresponsible, if not criminal. It will also take a long time to play out, during which the NHS will be overwhelmed, unless there is also a plan for lime pits to push the bodies into instead. Plenty of cancer patients will die while the hospitals are packed full of the victims of herd immunity.

There is clearly an adverse effect of Covid on other aspects of the NHS, and I know plenty of people working their arses off to reduce it. I know for a fact that you can get face to face doctors appts if one is needed, my wife is one such doctor who offers them, and I know plenty of doctors in frontline specialties across the board who are likewise working hard to keep things going in difficult circumstances. I don't know, nor want to know, anything about your family's situation or whether face to face was really needed, but regardless I don't think you can extrapolate their experience to the whole country's NHS experience.

This pandemic is having effects on all of us, and in some cases they are very bad effects, but magical thinking ain't going to fix it.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not missing the point at all, you cited Sweden as an example of things being done better, and I refuted it. People need to get off this false idea that Sweden had a good lockdown. They didn't. They had a disaster. Their situation is, in many ways, not comparable to us but if you think it is, so too are New Zealand or South Korea. They locked down hard and had much better case and death rates than either the UK or Sweden.

Now you are switching to an unsubstantiated point that the effects on deaths and the economy is worse than Covid, and are getting exponentially worse. Is that taking the piss, using the term used to describe pandemic growth? In any case, it simply isn't true. The economic effects would have been much less had effective and swift control been applied in a timely manner to Covid. That is the lesson of history seen in previous pandemics. Instead we have seen an utter [banned word] show, and failing to control things now will only prolong matters.

The lunatic plans for herd immunity advocated by the American libertarians funding the Great Barrington Declaration will not work, but will cost tens or hundreds of thousands of lives while failing. It is utterly irresponsible, if not criminal. It will also take a long time to play out, during which the NHS will be overwhelmed, unless there is also a plan for lime pits to push the bodies into instead. Plenty of cancer patients will die while the hospitals are packed full of the victims of herd immunity.

There is clearly an adverse effect of Covid on other aspects of the NHS, and I know plenty of people working their arses off to reduce it. I know for a fact that you can get face to face doctors appts if one is needed, my wife is one such doctor who offers them, and I know plenty of doctors in frontline specialties across the board who are likewise working hard to keep things going in difficult circumstances. I don't know, nor want to know, anything about your family's situation or whether face to face was really needed, but regardless I don't think you can extrapolate their experience to the whole country's NHS experience.

This pandemic is having effects on all of us, and in some cases they are very bad effects, but magical thinking ain't going to fix it.

well. Now i know. Pointless saying the same things again. Go have your view and i wil have mine.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i repeat what i have siad. The effects are now biiger than the saving - in lives, jobs, money and any other measure. Locking down is futile and doomed for failure unless we know a cure is coming very soon. Nearly all getting covid are going to cope fine. If we spent a fraction of what we have on protecting the vulnerable we would be in a far better state than we are now, in my opinion
Explain how this throwing money at shielding the vunrable works. Does it mean lock them away and forget about them while the rest have a Covid banjo party.

We are hoping a vaccine will be available within months that will start to lower the death rates and surely that's something we all want to happen.

Last edited: