Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Three Covid positive Brazil tourists returned to NE Scotland via Paris then London.
The Friday before the hacks were screaming to open up the travel routes.

Sadly now we simply have a press that, in the majority simply want to be contrary and court controversy. The rules are to tighten the boarders, the press state how that will kill off the travel industry, the rules are to have a lighter touch on the boarders then the headlines are how we are all going to die from some horrific mutant strain of covid. Same with everything else, you close pubs then you are killing off the hospitality industry, you open pubs then you are killing off the whole population.

Journalism is there to investigate and question yes but not to arbitrarily print the opposite view to that being taken by those in charge. Pick a side, stand your ground, argue your case and support the decision if your view is accepted.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Three Covid positive Brazil tourists returned to NE Scotland via Paris then London.
The Friday before the hacks were screaming to open up the travel routes.

BBC this morning 'people are getting through customs to easily hence the new variants of covid'

BBC this afternoon 'Heathrow is an inhumane hellhole as they are taking too long to carry out stringent checks on passengers'

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="pauljames87, post: 2317330, member: 21784"Just last week a few didn't want to book because it said over 64 but was taking over 60s

Anyways now all over 60s can no matter what
banjofred.....guilty. (y)

Actually got a note in the mail today telling me to go ahead and try to book (I'm booked for the 12th). The whole country seems to be at different speeds....which is ok....I guess.

Hey....I've got my permanent visa now (jeez, was that a hassle and ££££).....so I don't have to worry about getting kicked out for breaking the rules......well....minor ones.[/QUOTE]

A few of my mother's friends were guilty

Her good friend had a go at her for booking even tho she is an IT teacher so she should know how a website works!

And another booked his then cancelled as he thought he shouldn't have booked it

I believe they have now booked again

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
BBC this morning 'people are getting through customs to easily hence the new variants of covid'

BBC this afternoon 'Heathrow is an inhumane hellhole as they are taking too long to carry out stringent checks on passengers'

Both are possible if there is poor staffing and inconsistent application of the rules.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both are possible if there is poor staffing and inconsistent application of the rules.

A fair point. No the best example, just the most recent. I respect journalists who hold people to account but it has to be based on a solid platform. Any opinion or level of believability is simply weakened if the argument one week is in favour of going down a certain route and when that is adopted, the argument changes to the contrary. It is such a pity as I strongly believe that quality journalism is a massive benefit to any country, I just seem hard pressed to find such journalism any more. Sadly, sensationalism has taken over.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A fair point. No the best example, just the most recent. I respect journalists who hold people to account but it has to be based on a solid platform. Any opinion or level of believability is simply weakened if the argument one week is in favour of going down a certain route and when that is adopted, the argument changes to the contrary. It is such a pity as I strongly believe that quality journalism is a massive benefit to any country, I just seem hard pressed to find such journalism any more. Sadly, sensationalism has taken over.

It's not brilliant but it could be worse.
Try watching Tucker Carlson on Fox news and you'll soon cheer up ;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Warning: Facts and data. Those of a fact-averse disposition please pass by.

The preprint of the vaccine data referred to in the press conference is available here: Not yet peer reviewed

Matt Hancock suggested that there was some evidence AZ was more effective than Pfizer. The paper does not make the same claim, because the populations treated were not the same and therefore the data is not directly comparable. However, I think people can be reassured that both vaccines are highly effective, and you should take the first one offered.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are able to access the website, there is probably a letter in the post to you with a more local offer. Or you could consider somewhere a bit further away for a website booking.
To be fair if I could book further away but then I’d need to go back there for the second one. Given I am following the the guidelines I will wait until my area gets restocked.

D-S

Visit site
To be fair if I could book further away but then I’d need to go back there for the second one. Given I am following the the guidelines I will wait until my area gets restocked.
You don’t have to get the 2nd jab in the same place as the first, I am being done at two different local locations. I know of someone who is having their first one in Bristol and has booked the second one in Essex.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Warning: Facts and data. Those of a fact-averse disposition please pass by.

The preprint of the vaccine data referred to in the press conference is available here: Not yet peer reviewed

Matt Hancock suggested that there was some evidence AZ was more effective than Pfizer. The paper does not make the same claim, because the populations treated were not the same and therefore the data is not directly comparable. However, I think people can be reassured that both vaccines are highly effective, and you should take the first one offered.

Don't come on here with your years of medical training, knowledge and facts and spout off to the rest of us. Are you seriously trying to suggest that my 40 minutes of watching YouTube videos and extensive research from reading what Barbara (who is a Bettaware rep, she also does Body Shop on the side) on Facebook has got to say, while wearing my tinfoil hat doesn't outrank you in terms of knowing what's going on with this virus? You medical types are all so arrogant. :cool:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't come on here with your years of medical training, knowledge and facts and spout off to the rest of us. Are you seriously trying to suggest that my 40 minutes of watching YouTube videos and extensive research from reading what Barbara (who is a Bettaware rep, she also does Body Shop on the side) on Facebook has got to say, while wearing my tinfoil hat doesn't outrank you in terms of knowing what's going on with this virus? You medical types are all so arrogant. :cool:
Calm down Karen....do you need to see a manager?;)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
They are trialling an interesting app in Germany.
For every vaccine that is predicted to be wasted at the end of the day they are contacting 3 people locally, 1st one replying gets it. Random but by priority group. Nobody replies, they roll it over to the next lot after 30 minutes. The goal is than no unit goes wasted.
By the time they roll this out the UK will be to far through to make it useful here, but it’s a great principle and it looks to get over the ‘football teams’ issue we had in Cheltenham(?) last week.