Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After the winter we have just been through I feel we are at the stage that the benefits of getting outside, enjoying a bit of sun and having a bit of human contact, at a distance obviously, whilst it might not be exactly within the rules, far outweigh the minimal risk of transmitting it to anybody

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No wonder people get confused, today we have a SAGE expert saying large crowds outside in the warmer weather is a worry.?‍♂️

Prof Semple said it was "entirely possible" that "inadvertent activities" could drive up cases of coronavirus.

"It just takes a few families.... and we can kick off outbreaks," he said.

"We're so close but we could blow it by breaking the rules now," he added.

"Certainly people can go out and exercise" in the good weather, he said, "but it's this clustering - it's the meeting up in large parties on the beach or parks for picnics, that's where the rules are being broken".

We have a SAGE expert and the Mail on Sunday's GP saying different things. Not seeing the difficulty in identifying which is the more expert opinion.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have a SAGE expert and the Mail on Sunday's GP saying different things. Not seeing the difficulty in identifying which is the more expert opinion.

But playing Devil’s Advocate where was the ‘driving up of cases’ last summer when we had thousands all mixing outdoors and there was no discernible change in the cases? I’m not defending those who are blatantly ignoring rules however I can’t see cases increasing with the outdoor examples I’ve seen this weekend unless people are also doing a load of indoor mixing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But playing Devil’s Advocate where was the ‘driving up of cases’ last summer when we had thousands all mixing outdoors and there was no discernible change in the cases? I’m not defending those who are blatantly ignoring rules however I can’t see cases increasing with the outdoor examples I’ve seen this weekend unless people are also doing a load of indoor mixing.
Maybe last summer we didn't have a more virulent strain doing the rounds......

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Maybe the air inside is 'loaded' with the virus due to poor air exchange. Outdoors, any potential viral load is potentially massively diluted.

D-S

Visit site
Maybe last summer we didn't have a more virulent strain doing the rounds......
If we have a more virulent strain going around why are we opening golf straight to 4 balls which surely must increase chances of transmission if this new strain is more transmissible outside rather than 2 balls as per last year when cases continued to drop until late September.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we have a more virulent strain going around why are we opening golf straight to 4 balls which surely must increase chances of transmission if this new strain is more transmissible outside rather than 2 balls as per last year when cases continued to drop until late September.

Because the rule of 6 has returned outdoors so just try stopping golf or tennis or anything else

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Are you suggesting we don't have more virulent strains around?
Brazil veriant now as well as SAfrican.?
I was suggesting a possible/plausible reason why larger groupings outside might not be a good idea.
Small groups should pose less risk hence 4 balls being acceptable

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m not sure they did?
17th August 2020 (About 3 weeks before schools reopened) the 7 day average daily cases in the UK was 1079.

Around 3 weeks after the schools reopened(early Sep) the 7 day average moved to 5770.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you suggesting we don't have more virulent strains around?
Brazil veriant now as well as SAfrican.?
I was suggesting a possible/plausible reason why larger groupings outside might not be a good idea.
Small groups should pose less risk hence 4 balls being acceptable

Unless you kiss your playing partner your not going to get covid playing golf

It's outside

Nearest you get to someone is teeing off which a club that's 45 inches is being swung at 90 plus mph .. you are going to want to social distance

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have previously said here that outdoors (and golf) are rather low risk, provided they are done responsibly, but this is a critical time and encouraging people to enjoy the outdoors without warning them to do so cautiously and safely is a potential problem when added to the inevitable relaxation that is occurring with vaccinated people and the additional risk of schools returning. It could all add up to a fightback by Covid.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Maybe the air inside is 'loaded' with the virus due to poor air exchange. Outdoors, any potential viral load is potentially massively diluted.

There's no maybe about it. But there being such a difference doesn't mean you cannot transmit outdoors. If others air is breathed in, it can transmit.
If droplets can pass from one to t'other ( less than 2 metres) , it can transmit.
Especially if it is a more easily transmissible strain.
Those conditions can be created outdoors under some circumstances.

If at this time ( still cold though sunny ) we stick to the rules, we have a very good chance of finally cracking it.
Patience, not patients.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once we've been jabbed and everything is back open, are we still going to have compulsory self-isolation if we come into contact with a Covid case?

That's one thing I want to know. I'd go a step further what if you show symtoms.. should you self isolate

Let's be honest covid will one day become like s common cold. People aren't going to isolate for it for 10 days long term ..

You don't with a cold you either battle on if not bad with some tablets or go off for few days then go back in when feel better

How long before covid becomes just another illness

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once we've been jabbed and everything is back open, are we still going to have compulsory self-isolation if we come into contact with a Covid case?

Possibly. The number of Covid cases that occur will depends on how many people are not vaccinated, how effective the vaccines are and what new strains emerge. At this stage, there are no plans to vaccinate children, so that is a fair number of people, and a small minority of vaccinated can still get Covid, usually not too severe. If a new strain comes along that is less well controlled by vaccination, that number will rise.

It probably depends what the science shows, if we have enough data to tell. If vaccinated people are considered to have very low or no risk of transmission, then self-isolation of vaccinated people who ar contacts should not be needed.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of talk about this "Brazilian" variant of the virus now being in the UK. Many people are getting very worried about it but from my understanding it is only affecting a little strip down south. ?

Yeah, but the country will be very badly exposed if we go full Brazilian. No hiding place.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Lots of talk about this "Brazilian" variant of the virus now being in the UK. Many people are getting very worried about it but from my understanding it is only affecting a little strip down south. ?

Apparently it's a little unfair on the Brazilian's being tarred with this brush, it should be known as the Japanese variant as that is where it was first spotted. The reason it's being called the Brazilian variant is because of the (in)famous outbreak in Manaus!

Anyway, it was pretty obvious that there was going to be another scary variant being flagged as it gives the get out for restrictions being tightened. Given that we've allowed people in without them actually completing the required forms it's not going to be the first or the last international variant.