Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 16999

Woke up this morning to an alert on my phone saying I’ve been near someone positive and have to isolate for 9 days.

As it’s 9 days I take it that means I had the contact 5 days ago, ie, monday?

However, with my m-in-law passing away last sunday once we were home I never left the house until wednesday and I’m very confused when the contact occurred.

Yes, I will isolate, but can anyone clarify how it works as to when I could of been exposed.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Virtual Christmas Services - but next weekend our choir is getting together in our church sanctuary - masked up and well separated - to record the carols and hymns for each service. Means I'm going to have to get my very rusty bass-baritone warmed up ... Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Dooooooo :)

Well, unless you have a breeze passing thru your choir venue, the best of luck!
You are indoors, singing, which is akin to shouting in terms of expelled air, and I bet you have little ventilation.
Reasonable to assume your choir is of mixed ages, so , all in all, you are going to be in a virus loving situation.
Not a good idea, IMO

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Good advice against extended families playing board games.
Monopoly generally involves much shouting in my very competitive family.:love:
Do you play the much forgotten rule that if someone declines to purchase a property they land on, there should be an auction for everyone else to bid for it? So many people forget this rule and the game drags because of it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah they work on 14 days and deduct how many days ago you were in contact.
Could the notification have actually been sent yesterday, although you only saw it this morning?
Possibly if it arrived between 11pm and midnight, went to bed just after 11 and checked phone when I put it on charge.

Wife was with me sunday in hospice and obviously mon/tues and she’s had no alert.?‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, unless you have a breeze passing thru your choir venue, the best of luck!
You are indoors, singing, which is akin to shouting in terms of expelled air, and I bet you have little ventilation.
Reasonable to assume your choir is of mixed ages, so , all in all, you are going to be in a virus loving situation.
Not a good idea, IMO
We are going to have doors open so there will be quite a bit of a breeze. Plus being a large and high Victorian sanctuary it’s very large and high space. We’ve been advised to wear warm clothing and will be wearing masks. Believe me - it would not be happening if we thought there was a significant risk to any of us. What volume we‘ll be singing at I don’t know. Previous small choir gatherings when we could have services over the last few months we have sung sotto voce.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you play the much forgotten rule that if someone declines to purchase a property they land on, there should be an auction for everyone else to bid for it? So many people forget this rule and the game drags because of it.

Love that rule. But for clarity, everyone can bid on it including the person that landed there and declined to purchase it. (y)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are going to have doors open so there will be quite a bit of a breeze. Plus being a large and high Victorian sanctuary it’s very large and high space. We’ve been advised to wear warm clothing and will be wearing masks. Believe me - it would not be happening if we thought there was a significant risk to any of us. What volume we‘ll be singing at I don’t know. Previous small choir gatherings when we could have services over the last few months we have sung sotto voce.

Wow, even a low or moderate risk would have me ducking out.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

We do. I’m glad I’m not the only one who still remembers how to get a single game of Monopoly finished in less than 48 hours.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Never played that rule - will do so from now on (next Christmas of course)!!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Woke up this morning to an alert on my phone saying I’ve been near someone positive and have to isolate for 9 days.

As it’s 9 days I take it that means I had the contact 5 days ago, ie, monday?

However, with my m-in-law passing away last sunday once we were home I never left the house until wednesday and I’m very confused when the contact occurred.

Yes, I will isolate, but can anyone clarify how it works as to when I could of been exposed.

If you are sure that the app is wrong, that you weren't out of the house around that time, and nobody came to the house that later tested positive, it is probably an error. There is no legal requirement to follow the app instruction (unlike a call from Serco), so up to you whether you consider this an erroneous notification. I probably would.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Based at the Royal Berkshire in Reading. My title (clunky NHS as it is) is Critical Care Admin Manager. It was a new role formed (for me) by our matron who wanted someone to come in and take the paperwork off the senor nursing staff (lead nurse, sisters, practice educators etc) so they could nurse, mentor and teach. It was a blank canvass and has morphed into a mish-mash including recruitment (I came from a recruitment role), rotas, managing a team of ward clerks etc. Since then it has become a more reactionary role since Covid and so more work with my directorate manager and lead nurse to make sure the unit operates smoothly

Probably sounds far more grandiose than it is but the feedback I've had has been very positive (hence the promotion) and clearly rolling it elsewhere shows the model works.

What has the RBH against progress or liberalism?

D

Deleted member 16999

If you are sure that the app is wrong, that you weren't out of the house around that time, and nobody came to the house that later tested positive, it is probably an error. There is no legal requirement to follow the app instruction (unlike a call from Serco), so up to you whether you consider this an erroneous notification. I probably would.
Cheers, to be on the safe side I intend to follow the advice, but it’s so frustrating to get so little information, probably a bit more frustrating due to what’s going on in my life at the moment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow, even a low or moderate risk would have me ducking out.
OK - the rules allow us to do this. In fact the rules don’t require us to use any face coverings but we are. There may be 15 or so of us spaced 2m apart in all directions (including up ?) - and individually we will be singing forward and will not be singing at anything like ‘full volume’. I am not in the slightest bit worried and any usual members of the choir who do not wish to participate won’t be.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reports that tier changes are unlikely and we could be in tier 3 until March not exactly cheering me up. Already 5 weeks since I have seen anyone except my wife and my work colleagues and it is driving me up the wall. Not sure how I would take another 16 weeks of this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reflecting this morning on what is in store for us all over the weeks leading up to the Christmas break - I am feeling very grateful and fortunate that coming out of lockdown we of the golfing community will be able to participate in our sport of choice. The vast majority of the population will not be as fortunate as we are - how many shops can you go in and how much tv can you watch! I am very grateful that I am are so privileged...and privileged to be a member of a golf club such as mine.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers, to be on the safe side I intend to follow the advice, but it’s so frustrating to get so little information, probably a bit more frustrating due to what’s going on in my life at the moment.

I find the process rather unsatisfactory. OK, even if your phone did detect proximity to someone who later tests positive, it has no idea whether you were wearing masks, facing one another or facing away, whether it was a bank teller behind glass from you, in a pokey poorly ventilated space or a well ventilated one. More information is needed to really judge the situation.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

And then you're thinking of going up to the MiL's... You've acknowledged there's a risk but, with your expert knowledge, determined its not significant. Its no risk if you don't do it. Why do you continually look to duck around the recommendations?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find the process rather unsatisfactory. OK, even if your phone did detect proximity to someone who later tests positive, it has no idea whether you were wearing masks, facing one another or facing away, whether it was a bank teller behind glass from you, in a pokey poorly ventilated space or a well ventilated one. More information is needed to really judge the situation.

Not sure how it works with walls. Ok this may sound silly but in a semi detached house or office, would it ping if someone in the building next door tested positive assuming you spent a decent amount of time in proximity with a brick wall between you

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
And then you're thinking of going up to the MiL's... You've acknowledged there's a risk but, with your expert knowledge, determined its not significant. Its no risk if you don't do it. Why do you continually look to duck around the recommendations?

But the rules allow it. Amazing how some rules are understandable and others just cause such confusion :rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But the rules allow it. Amazing how some rules are understandable and others just cause such confusion :rolleyes:
Equally, just because rules allow it does it make it a good idea? The govt are passing responsibility over to people to an extent now, certainly over Christmas itself. How people treat that responsibility is up to them. I'm okay with that as long as social media is not then filled with people expressing horror at having caught the virus after taking unnecessary risks.