Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just seen a tweet from the PGA saying that in T2 and T3 indoor 1:1 coaching is not allowed and only allowed outdoors with caution.
Doesn't bode well for me going back to work 1:1 in a car....:oops::(
Daughters b/f is cheesed off as he does a lot of coaching in club's indoor swing studio and has a lot of pre-booked sessions lined up to deliver - he can do some in our covered outdoors range tees - but obviously 'daylight-limited' and has to share the time with other teaching pro. And he looks at gyms open and doesn't really get it. Anyway.

4LEX

Visit site
Been thinking about how few areas are in tier 1 and wondered if this is the pay off for the relaxation at Xmas. It's generally accepted that by allowing households to mix for 5 days at Xmas will see an increase in cases in January.

Perhaps the government are trying to get the number of cases right down in the next 4 weeks by putting everyone in tiers 2 & 3 so that the spike in January will be lower as it will be from a lower starting point.

Or perhaps I'm giving them too much credit and they are just making it up on the fly.

This is the case. The lower the virus level in the communuty, the lower the spread during those 5 days at Christmas and the less damage in January to the NHS.

Also it's a nod they got the levels wrong before and gave too much credit the country to stick to the guidelines. I'm in Tier 2 now from Tier 1 and I doubt anywhere will get below Tier 2 until March bar remote locations.

Just gotta do the right thing, appreciate what we can do, not moan about what we can't and look forward (y)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Daughters b/f is cheesed off as he does a lot of coaching in club's indoor swing studio and has a lot of pre-booked sessions lined up to deliver - he can do some in our covered outdoors range tees - but obviously 'daylight-limited' and has to share the time with other teaching pro. And he looks at gyms open and doesn't really get it. Anyway.

I would hazard a guess in a gym you are not standing close to the person next to you and it will be a bigger area than a swing studio. I know where I'd rather be and it's the gym.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the case. The lower the virus level in the communuty, the lower the spread during those 5 days at Christmas and the less damage in January to the NHS.

Also it's a nod they got the levels wrong before and gave too much credit the country to stick to the guidelines. I'm in Tier 2 now from Tier 1 and I doubt anywhere will get below Tier 2 until March bar remote locations.

Just gotta do the right thing, appreciate what we can do, not moan about what we can't and look forward (y)

And on the plus side, it makes no difference to me what tier we're in. I walk my younger boy to school and pick him up each day. Go to the butcher's and supermarket once a week. And apart from popping to the corner shop to pick up more milk or bread if we run out that's about it. We don't go to the pub and wouldn't be eating out regardless of tier and just don't invite anyone to the house.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Virtual Christmas Services - but next weekend our choir is getting together in our church sanctuary - masked up and well separated - to record the carols and hymns for each service. Means I'm going to have to get my very rusty bass-baritone warmed up ... Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Dooooooo :)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I would hazard a guess in a gym you are not standing close to the person next to you and it will be a bigger area than a swing studio. I know where I'd rather be and it's the gym.

And likely you are not talking a lot of the time, whereas instructors are talking a lot of the time quite close to pupils. And indoors that is risky. Very.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Long day. No room at the ICU inn and every regular bed taken and now struggling with how to keep the Covid cases together in a hot zone without compromising non-covid cases. Been working with the in charges, and bed managers on rotas and trying to move patients around almost Tetris like. Even more fun then trying to match visiting relatives to patients in different beds

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just because the 'guidelines' do not prevent certain activities does not mean its wise to do it.

Winter always increases respiratory issues; add Covd19 to the mix then inviting or visiting anyone indoors, especially with central heating running etc. is hardly prudent.

Another 3 months is not that long...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Long day. No room at the ICU inn and every regular bed taken and now struggling with how to keep the Covid cases together in a hot zone without compromising non-covid cases. Been working with the in charges, and bed managers on rotas and trying to move patients around almost Tetris like. Even more fun then trying to match visiting relatives to patients in different beds

Good luck; you and your colleagues have my respect whereas those constantly whining and looking for ways 'around' the guidelines certainly do not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good luck; you and your colleagues have my respect whereas those constantly whining and looking for ways 'around' the guidelines certainly do not.
To be fair, I simply try and take the paperwork and admin away and let the nursing staff from the top down look after the patients and the less experienced nurses. They have the hard work especially in full PPE for the shift. My day was about moving patients (where safe to do so) to try and keep Covid and non-covid separate and have some wriggle room for some more tonight or if they come up "suspected" prior to their swab results coming through. That and sorting the rota so we have enough of each grade. In the end we are an ICU family and we'll work (and play) as such and everyone has everyones back and will pick people up having a tough shift, have a laugh where appropriate and we'll get through it together

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Issue is it's difficult for him to go anywhere out of the house. He doesn't drive and my MiL prefers him to be about - and not out. She is demanding and very difficult to live with...well - 90 - what you expect...He just needs us to take some load and responsibilities off him for a couple of days - and to do some things that are difficult for him to do. We aren't going to just be doing 'little' things.

To be honest in some ways my wife would rather have a 'sorry the rules don't allow' get out, as the relationships she has with her mother and brother are not easy - but as the rules look like we can go, then my wife thinks we must. Whether we really want to or not it is the right thing for us t

Does it need both of you to go can’t your wife go on her own

4LEX

Visit site

Sorry for being nosey but what's your job and what hospital are you based at?

4LEX

Visit site
And on the plus side, it makes no difference to me what tier we're in. I walk my younger boy to school and pick him up each day. Go to the butcher's and supermarket once a week. And apart from popping to the corner shop to pick up more milk or bread if we run out that's about it. We don't go to the pub and wouldn't be eating out regardless of tier and just don't invite anyone to the house.

That's definitely a good little routine you have there and a safe one at that (y)

I live on my own, low risk due to age and fitness so I'll probably go out for bottomless brunches, catch up with friends over dinner/drinks and maybe some other stuff that could be classed as a grey area. Being back to work and lots of golf will make a big difference too. Luckily I have a tiny family so I'll spend Christmas Day with them but I'll get a test a few days before that and make sure I do it properly this time! :censored:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry for being nosey but what's your job and what hospital are you based at?

Based at the Royal Berkshire in Reading. My title (clunky NHS as it is) is Critical Care Admin Manager. It was a new role formed (for me) by our matron who wanted someone to come in and take the paperwork off the senor nursing staff (lead nurse, sisters, practice educators etc) so they could nurse, mentor and teach. It was a blank canvass and has morphed into a mish-mash including recruitment (I came from a recruitment role), rotas, managing a team of ward clerks etc. Since then it has become a more reactionary role since Covid and so more work with my directorate manager and lead nurse to make sure the unit operates smoothly

Probably sounds far more grandiose than it is but the feedback I've had has been very positive (hence the promotion) and clearly rolling it elsewhere shows the model works.