Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Same for me, no logic. Again. Not that it affects me, just affects businesses and lowly paid people on furlough who will be short on money for the Christmas PR stunt.

West Suffolk is the lowest in the country, Matt Hancock is the MP. Tier 2.

It seems everyone complained that it was too confusing. Now they are going to complain it's unfair. Proper decision makers would have stuck to their guns, knowing that the decision they made first was right.... (not political, just in general)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We’re just one of many households in an area which started life in Tier 1, by-passed 2 entirely and have landed in Tier 3 today.

Whilst tough to take, especially living in a rural community, I’m afraid I get it, and the need for tougher restrictions. I’m holding on to my belief that, notwithstanding fortnightly reviews of which Tier we are all in, this system is designed solely to keep a lid on Covid over winter until a vaccine is rolled out.

I’m no defender of politicians, but however they did this they were going to upset huge numbers. And I do believe, if the numbers head in the right direction, many will move from 3 to 2.

The big problem now, however, is that this now appears to be arranged by county rather than districts. I have family in Leicestershire and the city has never been out of some form of lockdown. Much of the south of the county has been largely untouched until recently. My worry for them is that, even in the event their rates fall again, what is going on in the city will keep them in 3 until March. That hardly seems fair.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding is that in Tier 1 and Tier 2 areas indoor venues will be able to put on live events up to 50% capacity or 1000 whichever is lowest. Think there may be something to do with alcohol not being served but not sure.

Well - that's a good flicker in the gloom for us...though not sure how many venues will find live events being viable at 50% capacity and without alcohol sales...the latter being critical...

But hey. I spot a little light and hope at the end of a very long and dark tunnel.

D

Deleted member 18588

The big problem now, however, is that this now appears to be arranged by county rather than districts. I have family in Leicestershire and the city has never been out of some form of lockdown. Much of the south of the county has been largely untouched until recently. My worry for them is that, even in the event their rates fall again, what is going on in the city will keep them in 3 until March. That hardly seems fair.

Tell me about it!

Our area has the lowest rate per 100k in the county, 40% lower than the highest but we are lumped in with the whole county.

From 2 December the only improvement I can see is that I can, at least, go for a game of golf.

This despite being assured that lockdown would not extend beyond that date.

aaajjj7589

Visit site
Golf is fine to play across all Tiers. I'll be playing as much as I can (I live in Kent) - I just hope my Toptracer Range is open as it's great to get the Data from your session.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Tell me about it!

Our area has the lowest rate per 100k in the county, 40% lower than the highest but we are lumped in with the whole county.

From 2 December the only improvement I can see is that I can, at least, go for a game of golf.

This despite being assured that lockdown would not extend beyond that date.

All smoke and mirrors. This won’t be lockdown. It will be a tiered approach. That will be the response. ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the risk of getting a political infraction...
I find the whole thing a bit farce... Boris & his party could not risk a second lockdown, so some smart people came up with at Tier system. Scotland said if you have 3 then i will have 5. Then Wales/Scots went into second lockdown and it forced the English hand. Now we will come out of lockdown and go into another one (but it is called Tier). Meanwhile those who are breaking the law are still breaking it. The reality seems to be that other than the first lockdown, we never really did a proper lockdown. When we did it, we were very successful. otherwise it feels like moving deck chairs, blaming others, lying, profiteering etc.. This is not saying any party is good/bad, just an observation

i am mentally exhausted trying to follow what is happening. i have stopped reading/listening to the news, i look at the headlines and thats it. I only look at the vaccine stories, american election circus, black friday, stock markets (what a boom).. sorry for the rant, better out than in.. need to get some optimism going

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just come off a videoconference with John Bell, Regius Prof of Medicine at Oxford, and a major player involved with the vaccine programme spoke about this. He said the MHRA know all about it and are unconcerned, and he believes approval will soon follow. There should be a scientific publication in the next week or so which will deal with the scientific questions.

And Mene Pangalos, head of R&D at Astra Zeneca said the same. If the EMA and MHRA are happy to approve, I am happy to take.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have had a cough and headaches the last few days here :( was due to the docs for a routine jab yesterday, phoned in advance to check and was ordered not to go but to have a test instead :( dont think/hope its not but now waiting for the test in the post to find out

Good luck. We were sure David didn't have it and shocked when he tested positive.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
and then you have a different view .. (again no idea how genuine this is ).. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/f...for-vaccines-the-pandemic-is-effectively-over

Yeadon provides no evidence for his ideas, which have been widely dismissed by serious professional scientists. It is all supposition and guesswork. If he provides solid evidence, people will listen, but until then, he is an outlier. Gupta floated something similar, and she too was unable to provide any evidence.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that in Tier 1 and Tier 2 areas indoor venues will be able to put on live events up to 50% capacity or 1000 whichever is lowest. Think there may be something to do with alcohol not being served but not sure.

Well - that's a good flicker in the gloom for us...though not sure how many venues will find live events being viable at 50% capacity and without alcohol sales...the latter being critical...

But hey. I spot a little light and hope at the end of a very long and dark tunnel.
The alcohol thing in tiers 1 & 2 is that it must be table service (and in tier 2, only with a meal). So whilst its not actually banned at indoor events, for most venues its not a practical proposition.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeadon provides no evidence for his ideas, which have been widely dismissed by serious professional scientists. It is all supposition and guesswork. If he provides solid evidence, people will listen, but until then, he is an outlier. Gupta floated something similar, and she too was unable to provide any evidence.

i have not come across him, since i dont do deniers.. i responded to my friend who sent it to me.. and he came back with this..

"I heard a lengthy podcast interview of this guy on the delingpole show a few weeks ago. While the forum itself is usually looney, this guy's arguments had 2 important queries...he questioned the assumption of the baseline immune number being 0 and the absence of type 2 error metrics (false +ves) being published as official numbers. I checked a bit and found it hard to refute either. ( not saying that that makes him right ...only that I couldn't find counters to it even after much searching ). Also his credentials are quite relevant and he speaks very clearly ...not a redneck rant type dude....he certainly is not a covid denier...so I guess I am still unclear on whether to write him off or not (especially with 2nd n 3rd waves in the UK )"

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have not come across him, since i dont do deniers.. i responded to my friend who sent it to me.. and he came back with this..

"I heard a lengthy podcast interview of this guy on the delingpole show a few weeks ago. While the forum itself is usually looney, this guy's arguments had 2 important queries...he questioned the assumption of the baseline immune number being 0 and the absence of type 2 error metrics (false +ves) being published as official numbers. I checked a bit and found it hard to refute either. ( not saying that that makes him right ...only that I couldn't find counters to it even after much searching ). Also his credentials are quite relevant and he speaks very clearly ...not a redneck rant type dude....he certainly is not a covid denier...so I guess I am still unclear on whether to write him off or not (especially with 2nd n 3rd waves in the UK )"

His credentials are not all that relevant. He is not an epidemiologist, a virologist or an immunologist. He has science degrees and a PhD in pharmacology (how drugs work in the body).

It is fine to have theories such as his, but not fine to expect Govt policy to be based on a hunch and some assumptions. If community testing showed that a lot more people had immunity than previously suspected, or were otherwise non-susceptible, great, we are nearer the end of this God-foresaken thing, but there is no such evidence and therefore his self-admitted anger is just undermining efforts to fight this virus and risks making matters worse.

Last edited: