Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
wondering if the xmas window has been put in place primarily as an economic stimulus and a national move to try and cheer people up, if people think they're having a regular christmas with the extended family they'll go and spend more in the shops, keep some retail going?
Certainly isn't for any physical health reasons, everyone stuck indoors in close proximity, dangerous move.
Mental health wise it could be beneficial for some I suppose.

Think they should have just gone with the regularly assessed tiers over xmas, what heppens if there's a spike ahead of christmas, do they then cancel the 5 day hiatus?

And for a certain public figure to avoid the PR disaster of being The Grinch.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
wondering if the xmas window has been put in place primarily as an economic stimulus and a national move to try and cheer people up, if people think they're having a regular christmas with the extended family they'll go and spend more in the shops, keep some retail going?
Certainly isn't for any physical health reasons, everyone stuck indoors in close proximity, dangerous move.
Mental health wise it could be beneficial for some I suppose.

Think they should have just gone with the regularly assessed tiers over xmas, what heppens if there's a spike ahead of christmas, do they then cancel the 5 day hiatus?

I somewhat suspect that the Xmas position was agreed early and announced quickly to soften the blow of most of England being in Tiers where no household can meet for the period up to Xmas.

D

Deleted member 18588

Ironically it is some of the media outlets that seemed to be pushing hardest for the restrictions to be eased so people could "give Granny a hug at Christmas" are now criticising the Government for taking the risk.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Hit the working from home "wall" today but it's probably the "had enough of working" wall in reality. I've sent in an email asking to drop to 3 days a week from 1st January. If the extra time off doesn't make me enjoy it more, I will pack it all in at the end of March.

Was 57 last week... that's enough working, Covid or not!!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit the working from home "wall" today but it's probably the "had enough of working" wall in reality. I've sent in an email asking to drop to 3 days a week from 1st January. If the extra time off doesn't make me enjoy it more, I will pack it all in at the end of March.

Was 57 last week... that's enough working, Covid or not!!

I tried that and found I was expected to do the same amount of work in half the time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I tried that and found I was expected to do the same amount of work in half the time.

Spookily, that was the reply I got. "Just do longer days" apparently.... :) No matter, I am a contractor with 30 days notice either way. I've started teeing up one of the lads to take over... and already building handover notes. Golf to be played!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree, I am expecting tier 2 and 3 across the board. At a push, there may be 1 or 2 regions of Tier 1 to show that it is achievable and give a bit of hope to those in higher tiers.

Can't see anywhere being tier 1 and so as tier 2 means alcohol only with a substantial meal I can't see the clubhouse being overly busy as I'm not too many will want to stop and eat after a round. Another blow for takings for clubs especially those struggling

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Our clubhouse was pretty full on Saturday lunchtime, most folk who played stopped to eat... word went round about supporting the Steward and His missus who have had a tough year.... a big percentage of our members are retired or reasonably solvent, so have missed the worst of the financial impact

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our clubhouse was pretty full on Saturday lunchtime, most folk who played stopped to eat... word went round about supporting the Steward and His missus who have had a tough year.... a big percentage of our members are retired or reasonably solvent, so have missed the worst of the financial impact
That is an impressive post. Your members must have a good bond with the club as well as with the Steward.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is similar to our village ordering takeaway food from the pub. Most people order at least once a week as we want a pub and really like our landlord and landlady and so we have to support it through these times.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
That is an impressive post. Your members must have a good bond with the club as well as with the Steward.

This is similar to our village ordering takeaway food from the pub. Most people order at least once a week as we want a pub and really like our landlord and landlady and so we have to support it through these times.

Use it or lose it..... same with our village pub!