Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Out of interest, how do people who have had it now feel about lockdowns etc. With the chances of you catching or spreading it pretty much zero, is it harder accepting being locked down, especially if you have friends and family who have had it as well. Appreciate you cannot split the rules else every person ignoring lockdown would simply say they had all had it as an excuse but wondered if it was harder to accept once you are in a position whereby the risk you pose is far less than those that have not been infected with it.

I’ve had a mild case but even months later I still behave as though I haven’t. I’m slightly more relaxed about the risk to me, but have no idea whether I am still able to catch and transmit it to someone else, even if my own immune system can fight it off now without me even knowing it.

I’m not selfish enough to put others at risk when I know nothing about viruses, immune systems and so on.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, how do people who have had it now feel about lockdowns etc. With the chances of you catching or spreading it pretty much zero, is it harder accepting being locked down, especially if you have friends and family who have had it as well. Appreciate you cannot split the rules else every person ignoring lockdown would simply say they had all had it as an excuse but wondered if it was harder to accept once you are in a position whereby the risk you pose is far less than those that have not been infected with it.

Had it in February and quarantined for just under a month, then got out for a few days until the original lockdown (which was 103 days). Didn't mind that as it was a proper lockdown everything was empty. This one is bullsh*t, and has frustrated me immensely. What's allowed to remain open is seemingly at random. And a huge chunk of the population are ignoring it.

I've spent over a third of 2020 completely alone. When I'm little - no risk of reinfecting anyone. Obeyed all the rules apart from one hug when I had too many Sherbets. I'm fed up of them. Next one I will be making sure i'm in another country before the clock strikes.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had it in February and quarantined for just under a month, then got out for a few days until the original lockdown (which was 103 days). Didn't mind that as it was a proper lockdown everything was empty. This one is bullsh*t, and has frustrated me immensely. What's allowed to remain open is seemingly at random. And a huge chunk of the population are ignoring it.

I've spent over a third of 2020 completely alone. When I'm little - no risk of reinfecting anyone. Obeyed all the rules apart from one hug when I had too many Sherbets. I'm fed up of them. Next one I will be making sure i'm in another country before the clock strikes.

Aint that the truth. Taken from sky news.

Supermarkets are the most frequent common exposure setting for those catching COVID-19 in England, new data suggests.

And there in lies the problem. The first lockdown, numbers were restricted in supermarkets, predominantly there was directions of aisles etc etc. Now it’s the same old same old. Supermarkets are normal. People go into supermarkets for a day out. The Friday big shop of the first lockdown where you got a weeks shopping, and I don’t mean panic buying. Well there’s more folk calling in for bits and bobs Now. Frustrating is an understatemen.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ah..Go Outdoors, that essential retail outlet...some lockdown this is.

Halfway through lockdown 2 and the number of cases is still hovering around 20k per day..
Those numbers need to drop or lockdown 3 will be an extension of 2...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aint that the truth. Taken from sky news.

Supermarkets are the most frequent common exposure setting for those catching COVID-19 in England, new data suggests.

And there in lies the problem. The first lockdown, numbers were restricted in supermarkets, predominantly there was directions of aisles etc etc. Now it’s the same old same old. Supermarkets are normal. People go into supermarkets for a day out. The Friday big shop of the first lockdown where you got a weeks shopping, and I don’t mean panic buying. Well there’s more folk calling in for bits and bobs Now. Frustrating is an understatemen.

It might just be that a ĺarge number if other retailers are shut.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah..Go Outdoors, that essential retail outlet...some lockdown this is.

Halfway through lockdown 2 and the number of cases is still hovering around 20k per day..
Those numbers need to drop or lockdown 3 will be an extension of 2...
hmmm...
I don't think things are as simple as that.
A cursory glance at the numbers show that cases plateaued around 25th October (so BEFORE lockdown) and has recently gently declined. Deaths have also plateaued and gently declined from 4th November. You might not get that impression from the news outlets (or on here) but it is the case.
The remaining cases?
Why would locking down help??
Consider that the most significant areas for cases are high density living - hospitals, student accomodation, care homes, low quality housing in deprived areas (see this Guardian article from yesterday - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...t-lockdown-says-blackburn-public-health-chief )
These are unlikely to improve by locking down the whole country (indeed, as the article states, unlikely to benefit even from locking down specifically).
So why do it? It's not as if locking down is without extraordinary costs, socially, economically or educatationally.
Maybe King Canute had the right idea...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It might just be that a ĺarge number if other retailers are shut.

very possibly, but beginning of Nov we did a few days collecting for RBL poppy appeal. Next door but one neighbour works in local supermarket. We have had a few matters re folk going into the supermarkets. One thing she did mention was the number of supermarket staff with Covid.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Local Cash Converters is open here, I guess itclasses as essential so the local thieves can still go and sell their 'takings':rolleyes::mad:

Hampstead last Sunday, amongst the dozens of coffee and patisserie shops with huge queues outside I saw a bookshop open! Only letting one group in at a time, and they had to sanitise on the way in, but it shows what a nonsense (and non policed) thing this “Lockdown” is!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hmmm...
A cursory glance at the numbers show that cases plateaued around 25th October (so BEFORE lockdown) and has recently gently declined. Deaths have also plateaued and gently declined from 4th November. You might not get that impression from the news outlets (or on here) but it is the case.
The remaining cases?
Why would locking down help??
Consider that the most significant areas for cases are high density living - hospitals, student accomodation, care homes, low quality housing in deprived areas (see this Guardian article from yesterday - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...t-lockdown-says-blackburn-public-health-chief )
These are unlikely to improve by locking down the whole country (indeed, as the article states, unlikely to benefit even from locking down specifically).
So why do it? It's not as if locking down is without extraordinary costs, socially, economically or educatationally.
Maybe King Canute had the right idea...
King Cnut did indeed have the right idea, he showed people that those in power didn't have the ability to demand the natural powers obey their command. He showed that if people wanted change they had to work together to achieve it.

It seems to me your suggestions that we don't need lockdowns and all is well is an outcome you prefer and you look to spurious opinions for support.

Many ethnic communities have a culture where multiple age groups live together, it's not poverty driven.
If people are lax with their contacting then these households will be hit the hardest.

Follow the rules.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
hmmm...
A cursory glance at the numbers show that cases plateaued around 25th October (so BEFORE lockdown) and has recently gently declined. Deaths have also plateaued and gently declined from 4th November. You might not get that impression from the news outlets (or on here) but it is the case....
Am curious to where those numbers (& hence conclusions are coming from).
Don't seem to tally with
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ONS figures for overall deaths have been normal since may in comparison to 2018,2019.
Oh, Are they. I just cut this from the ONS site:

"The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales increased from 10,887 in Week 44 (week ending 30 October 2020) to 11,812 in Week 45 (week ending 6 November 2020). The number of deaths was 14.3% above the five-year average (1,481 deaths higher).

In England, the number of deaths increased from 10,166 in Week 44 to 10,962 in Week 45, which was 1,287 deaths (13.3%) higher than the Week 45 five-year average.

In Wales, the number of deaths increased from 712 in Week 44 to 832 in Week 45, which was 207 deaths (33.1%) higher than the Week 45 five-year average"

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Am curious to where those numbers (& hence conclusions are coming from).
Don't seem to tally with
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
I'm not great at embedding pics, so apologies if it doesn't work....
Of course, one mans plateau is another's exponentual catastrophe, so i think we can take as read that we are both interested, but essentially non expert glass half full/empty pontificators. I mean no disrespect - i absolutely include myself in this, but i think we owe it to ourselves to at least try to apply some intelligent consideration to the matter.
Screenshot_20201119-212334_Twitter.jpgScreenshot_20201119-203055_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20201119-212334_Twitter.jpgScreenshot_20201119-203055_Samsung Internet.jpg

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Oh, Are they. I just cut this from the ONS site:

"The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales increased from 10,887 in Week 44 (week ending 30 October 2020) to 11,812 in Week 45 (week ending 6 November 2020). The number of deaths was 14.3% above the five-year average (1,481 deaths higher).

In England, the number of deaths increased from 10,166 in Week 44 to 10,962 in Week 45, which was 1,287 deaths (13.3%) higher than the Week 45 five-year average.

In Wales, the number of deaths increased from 712 in Week 44 to 832 in Week 45, which was 207 deaths (33.1%) higher than the Week 45 five-year average"
Lol. Just went to post some snarky repost to SR's previous post but it seems to mysteriously vanished!!
Who'd have thunk it.
Lets just say that Mark Twain once made a particularly apposite "bon mot"....

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ha, was a decent effort.
The deaths numbers those were up to 14th, whereas the one I posted has recorded over 500 for 17th, 18th, & 19th - so that may explain different interpretations.
I wasn't judging, just asking...
No offence taken. Facts, lamposts.... we've all grabbed em.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is hard to commentate in near real time on these data because they are a bit wobbly, but in my opinion we are plateauing. Even if that is the case, that Dec 2 exit from lockdown looks rather dodgy, and I expect that a number of parts of the country will go into a tier which is barely distinguishable from the current situation.

NI has just announced another 2 weeks of firmer lockdown. That is what is needed here but we won't get that, so the faffing around with ineffectual semi-lockdowns is set to continue for some time.