Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Question marks over this. If it was in Europe in September 2019, with no social distancing, being very infectious and over the winter/flu season too, why did it take over five months to become prevalent?

when I saw it I thought it asks more questions than it answers. I remember April or May time. The french reckoned they had found Covid in there waste water samples back in November. I thought the same then Re being infectious.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from taking younger Colch jnr for his 2nd Covid test. We're almost certain that he doesn't have it as he's got a croupy cough but the school won't let him go back until he's got a negative result.

As we expected a negative result. I don't know if they are finally getting the issues around testing sorted or if we've just been lucky both times we've had to get tested. Went online yesterday morning at 9am and booked a test at a drive through testing centre less than 10 miles from home for 10-30. Test results came back at 7-15 this morning.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Relieved to have got through a tiers revision today with no change, 11 local authorities moved into tier 4 though, clearly r number not improving, likely worsening there. Seems the more rural you are the safer you are, logical of course. Grim times but truly thankful to be missing the worst of it...... for now.
Surprised to find South Ayrshire has moved into level 4.
My NHS contacts say it has more to do with protecting the two big hospitals in Kilmarnock and Ayr.
Folk in the very rural South of the region towards Stranraer must be a bit pissed off though.

Tashyboy

Visit site
My NHS contacts say it has more to do with protecting the two big hospitals in Kilmarnock and Ayr.
Folk in the very rural South of the region towards Stranraer must be a bit pissed off though.

unfortunately that is the case re pissed off. Mansfield had nigh on no cases when Nottingham was sky high. In the space of a week we went from stage 1, possibly going up to 2, last minute we went into 3. Then the national lockdown ( and I use that term very loosly).
Ironically our MP Ben Bradley was asking why we are going into stage 3 when 2 would suffice. Within a few days Mansfield’s levels were high so it was the correct thing to do going to 3. Those in the Stranraer region may be bogged off. But it could be a case
of “ a stitch in time could save nine”.
#staysafedoon

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

It is the case for a lot of rural communities. I live in the back end of nowhere, most people work locally and trips to larger towns and cities are rare and so cases are pretty much unheard of but we will be bundled in with the rest of the county when it comes to what tier we are in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is the case for a lot of rural communities. I live in the back end of nowhere, most people work locally and trips to larger towns and cities are rare and so cases are pretty much unheard of but we will be bundled in with the rest of the county when it comes to what tier we are in.
You don't have to be in deepest rural England. We are not high on the infection per 100k - but as out local hospitals both have 'catchment' areas that are much higher rate, then we must accept that even though our risk is perhaps quite low we cannot contribute to risk of overloading of our hospitals.

Tashyboy

Visit site
You don't have to be in deepest rural England. We are not high on the infection per 100k - but as out local hospitals both have 'catchment' areas that are much higher rate, then we must accept that even though our risk is perhaps quite low we cannot contribute to risk of overloading of our hospitals.

This, bottom line no one wants Covid, least of all when hospitals are rammed and drs and consultants have to make decisions on who is going to ICU and who wont be going. Covid don’t know if your from a quiet low risk rural area or a high risk area.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I read that Bri, all revolved around Trump closing down some of their CDC sites, including one in Hawaii, then we had some of the American Military taking part in an Athletics event in Wuhan and a few being admitted to hospital while there with flu like symptoms!

Proper tin foil hat stuff. Here’s one story:
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/chinese-officials-blame-us-army-for-coronavirus-67267/amp

Following on from you're link: Check the dates.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/respirato...community-54-residents-fall/story?id=64275865

This care home is very near to Fort Detrick aswell. Which was mysteriously shut down last year.

D

Deleted member 21258

Following on from you're link: Check the dates.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/respirato...community-54-residents-fall/story?id=64275865

This care home is very near to Fort Detrick aswell. Which was mysteriously shut down last year.

Heres one for March 19...Spain

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-science-idUSKBN23X2HQ

I can see that small outbreaks could burn themselves out, if the wrong people in the wrong places got it and it wouldn't be pick up until a much bigger outbreak happens.

I know they say the genome(sp?) sequencing doesn't imply that it was in circulation in masses of people before the big outbreak in China.

Fun to read about, how much truth in all of it, pass :LOL:

U

User62651

Getting slightly irked by this 'Christmas Factor' that seems to be touted as above all else in importance and that somehow not having a normal Christmas is so terrible that covid restrictions must be temporarily lifted for a few days in December. It's once - we had a normal one last year and it looks like next year should be normal too given the vaccine progress. Keeping people alive and covid free is way more important than a religious/secular (delete as appropriate) festival/holiday.
The large social gatherings side of Christmas needs to be dropped this year, tough yes but needed - any singles can join a family group as their bubble extra. Kids can still have a decent Christmas with their immediate family.

If a normal Christmas is/was had by all with people traveling all over the UK and beyond to family, the infections 2 weeks later could be horrific. Not worth it.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Yes, hopin
Getting slightly irked by this 'Christmas Factor' that seems to be touted as above all else in importance and that somehow not having a normal Christmas is so terrible that covid restrictions must be temporarily lifted for a few days in December. It's once - we had a normal one last year and it looks like next year should be normal too given the vaccine progress. Keeping people alive and covid free is way more important than a religious/secular (delete as appropriate) festival/holiday.
The large social gatherings side of Christmas needs to be dropped this year, tough yes but needed - any singles can join a family group as their bubble extra. Kids can still have a decent Christmas with their immediate family.

If a normal Christmas is/was had by all with people traveling all over the UK and beyond to family, the infections 2 weeks later could be horrific. Not worth it.

Brilliantly put.
Would be a very useful exercise if this could be put in front of every decision maker, with orders to read it, every day between now and December.!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Agreed 100%. It's just one year that will be affected. Get on with it. Embrace the change and use your imagination to make the most of it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Indeed - and as much as Advent and Christmas Day are clearly very important in the Christian calendar (noting that Advent is a real thing for me and not just chocolates behind little doors of calendar :) ) most of us so inclined in any congregation are able to celebrate without the need to gather together under the one roof. Remembering that for Christians, Easter is actually the more important festival - even although most will celebrate Christmas as a wider family celebration. Would just have to miss out on the family get togethers - and OK - so be it.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have all decided that we are not getting together for Xmas. We usually see near 30 people indoors at close quarters over a couple of days.

This year, if rules allow, we will be 5 people sat 1m+ apart for a meal and no staying overnight.

We will not be having a normal Xmas as this could easily wipe out a whole generation of friends and family.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a confirmation from my Golf Club that we can start booking rounds for 2 weeks time due to the club likely to re open.

They have said no changes except no non members for the first week only. They have said anyone 2 ball or 3 ball spots will be filled up with non members who wish to play or members if there is no room.

Now generally i have no issue with this, however if they are worried about over crowding how about stopping non members for now, I mean I renewed my year regardless of the issues. Secondly I play only with my son, we live together, I don't want to play with a stranger or strangers because if they do get Covid I will need to self isolate as well apparently as will my son. I wish to stay within my family bubble and I don't think that is unreasonable, I already minimize who I come in to contact with, work from home, don't go out outside of my family circle.

Little bit frustrated, fishing is still going but no day tickets for non members just us members and we can easily keep decent space from others.

Not sure i have a solution as I appreciate the club need the income but certainly not helping me at all.