Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Getting slightly irked by this 'Christmas Factor' that seems to be touted as above all else in importance and that somehow not having a normal Christmas is so terrible that covid restrictions must be temporarily lifted for a few days in December. It's once - we had a normal one last year and it looks like next year should be normal too given the vaccine progress. Keeping people alive and covid free is way more important than a religious/secular (delete as appropriate) festival/holiday.
The large social gatherings side of Christmas needs to be dropped this year, tough yes but needed - any singles can join a family group as their bubble extra. Kids can still have a decent Christmas with their immediate family.

If a normal Christmas is/was had by all with people traveling all over the UK and beyond to family, the infections 2 weeks later could be horrific. Not worth it.

Well said sir.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
News today they are thinking of relaxing restrictions for 5 days?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Apart for the ethical issues of allowing more cases and some deaths to pay for this relaxation, do they really think they can control this? There could be an explosion of cases at the end of Dec/start of January.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Apart for the ethical issues of allowing more cases and some deaths to pay for this relaxation, do they really think they can control this? There could be an explosion of cases at the end of Dec/start of January.

This ties into what I think could happen. We get a surge in the first week of 2021 and so go into a more stringent lockdown than we have at the moment for January and into February.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This ties into what I think could happen. We get a surge in the first week of 2021 and so go into a more stringent lockdown than we have at the moment for January and into February.

It will happen, with an intense period of people from different households mixing indoors, on top of the tiered relaxation to allow shopping and economic activity. It is possible to estimate the effect on cases of lockdown but I don't think it is possible to know the effect of relaxing it like this. It could be horrendous.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a huge chunk of central Scotland now into Tier 4 and Tier 3&4 travel restrictions being upgraded from guidance to legislation.

Some good news for us golfers at least, clubhouses and pro shops to close but the courses will remain open in the Tier 4 areas in Scotland over the next 3 weeks, so at least I can still get out of the house for a wee while at the weekend.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the deaths around Europe beginning to soar again.

Having a free for all at Christmas might be unthinkable.

The decision in all likelihood could be taken out of the politicians hands by then.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It will happen, with an intense period of people from different households mixing indoors, on top of the tiered relaxation to allow shopping and economic activity. It is possible to estimate the effect on cases of lockdown but I don't think it is possible to know the effect of relaxing it like this. It could be horrendous.
...add in the mayhem on the roads as public transport is avoided and there is a huge movement of people across the country in a very concentrated window to take advantage of relaxations - hardly bears thinking about.

And imagine being a health professional spending Christmas with a potentially horrid situation in hospitals looming. I think I can guess what for many who work in hospitals would be their best Christmas present...and that would be for us all to behave and interact with other household as we are currently doing over Christmas. Christmas will never be cancelled but we should accept that it would best be a different kind of Christmas.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The sort of Christmas Day that looms is nothing new for many of us 'older' denizens of this forum. My dad worked Christmas Day morning until late 1960s / early 1970s (I think Christmas Day became a UK public holiday in 1971). We didn't have a car until the mid-1960s and so a family Christmas Day back then started when my dad got home from work early afternoon. We didn't travel and nobody joined us on the day. It wouldn't be the end of the world if for one year we 'stepped back in time'.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I knew I'd find a use for that old silver hip flasķ I got as a present when I took up golf donkey's years ago.

I am assuming it will work provided it is high proof... but why would you want to spit it out

Big question>> Are you a spitter or a swallower?? :eek:

D

Deleted member 18588

The sort of Christmas Day that looms is nothing new for many of us 'older' denizens of this forum. My dad worked Christmas Day morning until late 1960s / early 1970s (I think Christmas Day became a UK public holiday in 1971). We didn't have a car until the mid-1960s and so a family Christmas Day back then started when my dad got home from work early afternoon. We didn't travel and nobody joined us on the day. It wouldn't be the end of the world if for one year we 'stepped back in time'.

Well I'm significantly older than you and Christmas Day was a Bank Holiday in England long before the early 70's as was Boxing Day.

The latter was not in Scotland as Scots had New Years Day. From 1973, I believe, there was some form of unification.

However, I do agree that a Zoom Christmas is a price worth paying if weare to finally get on top of this virus.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well I'm significantly older than you and Christmas Day was a Bank Holiday in England long before the early 70's as was Boxing Day.

The latter was not in Scotland as Scots had New Years Day. From 1973, I believe, there was some form of unification.

However, I do agree that a Zoom Christmas is a price worth paying if weare to finally get on top of this virus.

Missis Ts parents are not in our bubble. We have the grandkids a hell of a lot so it just couldn’t happen anyway. missis Ts sister was hoping we would have in-laws over for Xmas. It’s not happening. Loads of reasons as to why. But bottom line, this year has been challenging. Am I gonna risk catching Covid and spreading it for the sake of someone saying on Xmas day “ these Brussels are lovely”. Its not happening especially when when a vaccine is on the horizon.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, how do people who have had it now feel about lockdowns etc. With the chances of you catching or spreading it pretty much zero, is it harder accepting being locked down, especially if you have friends and family who have had it as well. Appreciate you cannot split the rules else every person ignoring lockdown would simply say they had all had it as an excuse but wondered if it was harder to accept once you are in a position whereby the risk you pose is far less than those that have not been infected with it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, how do people who have had it now feel about lockdowns etc. With the chances of you catching or spreading it pretty much zero, is it harder accepting being locked down, especially if you have friends and family who have had it as well. Appreciate you cannot split the rules else every person ignoring lockdown would simply say they had all had it as an excuse but wondered if it was harder to accept once you are in a position whereby the risk you pose is far less than those that have not been infected with it.

Truthfully - not even thought about it and feel exactly the same. Mind you we're not 100% fit yet. The only difference is I'm less inclined to immediately wash my hands after a delivery from Amazon!

Otherwise it's lockdown for us same as for everyone else I guess.