Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Schools and Universities had stayed closed I wonder if the demographic of cases would still be in the same age ranges?:unsure:

They said on the Local News here tonight that cases in the north east of England are still growing, but much more slowly than before and the region was also starting to see a fall in the number of 18-24 year olds catching the virus.
We follow the local university figures, we know a good few who are at Newcastle and Northumbria, and the numbers have dropped massively recently. From the highs at the beginning of term, who could see that coming ?, the graph is going down quite markedly. I'd love it if figures were released without student and school numbers.

D

Deleted member 16999

We follow the local university figures, we know a good few who are at Newcastle and Northumbria, and the numbers have dropped massively recently. From the highs at the beginning of term, who could see that coming ?, the graph is going down quite markedly. I'd love it if figures were released without student and school numbers.
I wonder if a specific age range took advantage of the “Eat out to help out” scheme?:unsure:
ONS today - “They believe the initiative, which gave diners up to 50 per cent off meals out, was to blame for as many as 17 per cent of new infection clusters between August and early September - one in every six.”

D

Deleted member 25172

Just an update from Sweden. No one is wearing face masks, but they have today decided to cancel all sports for the kids for the next 3 weeks. Not due to new laws in place, but based on recommendations. Oh, and I didn’t hug my dad when I met him yesterday for the first time in a year. :(

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I wonder if a specific age range took advantage of the “Eat out to help out” scheme?:unsure:
ONS today - “They believe the initiative, which gave diners up to 50 per cent off meals out, was to blame for as many as 17 per cent of new infection clusters between August and early September - one in every six.”

I don’t think so, golf clubs offered it, Beefeaters, Millar & Carter’s, along with fast food outlets, so the demographic of age groups was widespread.

I used it a couple of times and the safety measures on table spacing and seating was excellent, along with all precautions with our server, so no, I don’t think so.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Arranged a birthday meal in the local curry house for 12 people. Rules changed yesterday morning to max 6 per table. I rang them and agreed to tables of 6 with a gap. Got there last night and the restaurant decided to push the tables together.

Half an hour into the meal the police paid a visit. As it was the first night of the new rules we got a warning but the restaurant got a massive fine.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Find myself a little torn on the cases. Is the expectation that in time we'll all catch it, if so then the cases will keep rising until reaches population size - or until a vaccine can intervene. I'm still trying to delay catching it for as long as possible though.

Here's the global graph for recorded
aviary-image-1604131033128.jpeg

Europe recorded just shy of 300K yesterday which was a typical global figure back in July.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t think so, golf clubs offered it, Beefeaters, Millar & Carter’s, along with fast food outlets, so the demographic of age groups was widespread.

I used it a couple of times and the safety measures on table spacing and seating was excellent, along with all precautions with our server, so no, I don’t think so.
That’s my point, all age groups took advantage and it led to a spike, so anywhere people congregate a spike can occur, therefore putting thousands upon thousands of young people in Universities caused a spike and then to blame them is daft.

Maybe not encouraging or allowing people to gather would of been a better option.

D

Deleted member 16999

Arranged a birthday meal in the local curry house for 12 people. Rules changed yesterday morning to max 6 per table. I rang them and agreed to tables of 6 with a gap. Got there last night and the restaurant decided to push the tables together.

Half an hour into the meal the police paid a visit. As it was the first night of the new rules we got a warning but the restaurant got a massive fine.
Bloody hell mate, that would of put a damper on your birthday!

Glad you still got to celebrate though.(y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But they’ll have masks on ? why shouldn’t they be able to get their nails done?
Wouldn’t surprise me if some went beyond and had Perspex screens with a hole for the hands. Hairdressers don’t just stand behind either. I wish they did, maybe our lass wouldn’t come back with a horrid fringe.

Completely unfair to nail salon owners and workers in my opinion and not forgetting other affected trades.
Nonsensical. where’s the data supporting that decision?
The fact is that all scenarios involving mixing of people have a level of risk and a community can only safely manage a certain level of risk. That will mean that we can’t do everything and that means some scenarios must be dropped. Choices have to be made. Some will be difficult. Some will be easily understood. Some will seem illogical and inconsistent. It’s just a additive numbers exercise.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So are we now looking at no golf for a month when there were no plans yesterday morning that would have meant that. Brilliant. Well that knackers early round of winter comps (both only minor issue tbh). But much more importantly, also as a result me and my mrs now have to go to MiLs in north Derbyshire first thing tomorrow to make sure that she has all she needs for such a period. Mrs drives the 300+ miles up in the morning and I drive back in the afternoon as we can’t stay. No doubt the supers will be rammed.

Great. And there were no plans. And they wonder why...? Though i am not looking for any debate I wonder why it has come to this...it’s a rhetorical question to which I do not need an answer - just commenting on how I am this very day being affected by this pandemic, how we are reacting to it, and how it is being managed.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have known for some time that this is a condition spread by close and prolonged contact in poorly ventilated indoor spaces. Mask wearing mitigates the risk to a limited but important extent.

There is really no logic behind the rule of 6 outdoors, or with our specific interest, for prohibiting golf, which is rather over ventilated for my liking at this time of year. Any activities which put more people indoors close together is a risk, and that includes schools, universities, workplaces, public transport, house parties, bars and restaurants etc etc.

The red line appears to be schools and universities which are the barometer for closing everything. It is clear that a new lockdown is coming with the hope of clearing things for Christmas. Unfortunately Christmas will therefore inevitably cause another wave, so lockdown 3 in January, presumably. I hope, but do not expect, some common sense to be included in the next lockdown.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wonder if the universities who insisted on students moving to the campus back in September despite zero prospect of any face to face teaching will let them go home now? Or are they to be cooped up in their rooms with a visit to the supermarket their only escape?

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
My daughter has been feeling a bit ropey since yesterday, cough and a temperature. As she works in Retail she's away to get a test.

Fingers crossed it's just a normal head cold and the C19 test comes back negative.

Daughter's result came back negative, so business as usual continues for now, well the new usual I suppose.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well, I bought my Christmas pudding this morning so along with some spare turkey in the freezer and an emergency bag of Aunt Bessie's roasties I reckon we could easily improvise a Christmas dinner. Bring on the lockdown.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That’s my point, all age groups took advantage and it led to a spike, so anywhere people congregate a spike can occur, therefore putting thousands upon thousands of young people in Universities caused a spike and then to blame them is daft.

Maybe not encouraging or allowing people to gather would of been a better option.

I still don’t agree, I think more tests were done and as a result more positives, ie a spike came to the fore, but it was always out there!

D

Deleted member 16999

I still don’t agree, I think more tests were done and as a result more positives, ie a spike came to the fore, but it was always out there!
Of course it was always out there, no one can dispute that, it’s how we control the spread that matters and putting groups of people of ANY age in close proximity is not the best solution to stop the spread.