Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 1740

Indeed Phil, everybody needs to act responsibly, but looking at the pictures from Nottingham, I'm not seeing many middle aged or old people...

We had the same a few weeks ago on the eve of Tier 3 lockdown. Heavily populated student areas - Liverpool/Manchester/Nottingham - having increased numbers, its not coincidence is it.

For as many students acting irresponsibly there's just as many older people and probably more of the likes as this daft old one https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nsioner-bbc-anti-lockdown-viral-b1221765.html

D

Deleted member 15344

Indeed Phil, everybody needs to act responsibly, but looking at the pictures from Nottingham, I'm not seeing many middle aged or old people...

it’s happened every time a tier 3 local and it’s not good to see but there are plenty of people of all ages ignoring any regulations etc

D

Deleted member 1740

All the best Stu, as others have said, hope you and the family are OK

Assuming youre self employed then you can claim the first 3 mths of the SEISS extension which should more than cover 2 weeks wages?

Cheers Steve. She's ok no other symptoms than loss of smell and taste.

I wasn't sure when this was available, it'll certainly help. Is there any date for it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Suggest you look at the coverage from Nottingham last night and you'll see its by and large teens and twenty somethings acting totally irresponsibly and in disregard for the rules and the police trying to keep some degree of order and break things up. It's not the 30 somethings or the middle or older generations gathering in large groups regularly. It's university students and youngsters as per last night

So 1 news report is completely representative of the countries population? Not down here its not, go down to the seafront, shops, cafes, pubs etc, theres no discernible difference between age groups, if anything a higher representation of the older groups.

Yes the universities is causing an increase in cases, but they are far from the only group thats for sure

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are seeing students because that is the picture the papers and TV want to show you. They could equally hang around somewhere else and take pictures of other age groups failing to behave properly but that isn't the story right now.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My niece is a teacher and has tested positive, a child at the school where she teaches was positive so widespread tests were carried out, quite a few teachers then were found to be positive, although none of them displayed any symptoms!

It has now transpired that my nieces son, aged 2 has tested positive, again no symptoms but is being closely monitored.

It makes you wonder how many positive people are out & about spreading without knowing as they have no symptoms.

Are you getting tested Stu, but then do you need to as you’re self isolating anyway now, so do you need to know?

There is one racing certainty in all this. Far, far more people have had this virus than we will ever know.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So 1 news report is completely representative of the countries population? Not down here its not, go down to the seafront, shops, cafes, pubs etc, theres no discernible difference between age groups, if anything a higher representation of the older groups.

Yes the universities is causing an increase in cases, but they are far from the only group thats for sure
I have a child at university in a northern city.
He caught covid.
Not because he was an idiot, but because he is in a residential block with 100s of other people where 10 people live on each corridor and share toilet, bathroom and kitchen facilities and live in rooms barely bigger than broom cupboards. Most students are in this environment.
Rather like many of the inhabitants of inner city areas of low wage/high population multi-occuoancy housing.
I find it hard to express my utter contempt for the mindless nonsense on this thread. But some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

As I’ve stated, our highest in the city is the University area/campus, and I see loads of them in and around the nearby shopping areas blatantly refusing to wear masks!

They’re an ignorant generation.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a child at university in a northern city.
He caught covid.
Not because he was an idiot, but because he is in a residential block with 100s of other people where 10 people live on each corridor and share toilet, bathroom and kitchen facilities and live in rooms barely bigger than broom cupboards. Most students are in this environment.
Rather like many of the inhabitants of inner city areas of low wage/high population multi-occuoancy housing.
I find it hard to express my utter contempt for the mindless nonsense on this thread. But some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Hope your sons OK Dave.

I remember being 5 to a flat in 3 bedrooms, 1 kitchen 1 bathroom, 8 flats to a stairwell, 4 stairwells to a block in halls when I was at Loughborough. And we were in the better of the halls! Feel for the students currently, what should be the times of their lives, learning to be away from home for the first time, making new friends, new experiences etc has been totally changed, then they get to turn on the news and see that its all their fault that Covid wont go away

Of course there will be those who break some rules, pretty sure Id have been one of them if this had happened in 1991 sadly, but to blame all students as you say its more than unfair

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another of my pupils in isolation as her sister has tested positive.
Dodging a bullet at the moment, 5 have had to isolate and each time it's over a week since I've seen them.
Not sure how much more ducking and diving I can do..:rolleyes:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I’ve stated, our highest in the city is the University area/campus, and I see loads of them in and around the nearby shopping areas blatantly refusing to wear masks!

They’re an ignorant generation.

And yours isnt, do me a favour fish. All generations have plenty that fit into that category. How did you act when you were in your late teens, early twenties?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is one racing certainty in all this. Far, far more people have had this virus than we will ever know.
At one point 790 students at Northumbria university tested positive in one week. 700 showed no symptoms and were unaware. They only took tests because flatmates had tested positive and the university advised them to take them. 90% unaware ?. If they were not in halls of residence then they would not have known. Extrapolate that across other areas etc.

I remember a walled town in Italy that isolated perfectly during this early on, covid had hit it. It was treated as a case study and everyone was tested at one point. 40% were found to have had it and shown no symptoms.

Unsurprisingly, I agree with your point.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
You are seeing students because that is the picture the papers and TV want to show you. They could equally hang around somewhere else and take pictures of other age groups failing to behave properly but that isn't the story right now.

Maybe so, but if they don't do it they can't be photographed doing it, can they?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
And never did anything stupid, broke the rules etc? You were obviously better than I was at that age!!!

I didn’t say that, but what I did do, and I did plenty, wouldn’t have put anyone else’s lives at risk, unless I got a bit jittery with the trigger?