Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Could equally be posted under 'Things that gladden the heart'...

My lad called this morning clutching a straw that's been dangled in front of him this morning. One of the artists he's worked with in the past is trying to put together a 'Covid-compliant' series of gigs in December - and the tour management company has asked my lad if he wants to be part of trying to sort it and make it happen. Of course he does - but he is pragmatic and is keeping his expectations low. In truth - I don't expect it to happen and neither really does he...but it's positive that artists are thinking about how they might put on live music whilst living with the virus... and of course it's positive that the tour management company has come to him...

So it was a nice (for a change) call to get and it made my Mrs smile - a little...

He still needs a job mind...

While this seems positive news and I hope the artist and tour management could make it work, I know one artist that was due to to tour earlier in 2020, rescheduled to this time of year and has pulled the gigs again and has no plans to try and reschedule until late in 2022. There was a lot of demand from fans to play these covid restricted venues or even drive in open air venues but certainly in terms of indoor venues, there was no way to make it cost effective as a tour when you take into account the road crew, band, hotels, taxes etc. From what has been said it isn't an isolated case. If and when venues can open again there will then be the issue of every band and artist wanting to back on the world and so a massive demand on venues which means some will inevitably miss out.

I think your son would be wise to keep his expectations extremely low and continue the pursuit of regular employment bringing in a known wage. On the plus side it is good that the tour management have thought of him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...I think your son would be wise to keep his expectations extremely low and continue the pursuit of regular employment bringing in a known wage. On the plus side it is good that the tour management have thought of him.

Oh agreed 100% - and he gets that also. As it happens this artist is a singer-songwriter who usually tours with just manager, merch seller and keyboard player. So if the venue is sorted the tour party numbers are very small - maybe not bother with the merch guy - maybe just do solo. My lad rolls up to the venues a few hours before the artist to sort stuff out. Then after the show makes sure all is done and dusted for the tour management company he's working for.

The artist/tour footprint at a venue is actually very small - and probably easily managed. The audience is another matter. But that's for the venue to manage.

But tbh I just don't see the tiering restrictions that will be almost be inevitable in December allowing it to happen. But upside - at least the tour company came straight to him.

Last edited:
U

User62651

Got allocated our new Scottish 1-5 covid rating today, we're in 2 here in Argyll which has exactly the same rules as we've been in the last few weeks so no change for us I dont think.

Had planned on a week in Skye early October (school hols) with inlaws but that got scuppered with the no mixing of households indoors rule that came in about a month ago, as it stands we could now do that next week as Highland is level 1 so two households can now mix indoors again there.

Didn't book anything thankfully.

Christmas will be tricky wrt company unless we get down to level 1. We can get my mum in a bubble extra, cant get the inlaws though.....devastated.;)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Huh. was there ANY doubt? I'm done with watching all sport now. It's a disgrace that sport is allowed to continue with all this going on.

A slightly contrary view to many!

I for one was massively relieved when the Premier League and other sports restarted. Quite aside from giving us all some semblance of normality in difficult times, it allowed us hope that this pandemic won’t beat us.

I’m not sure we can underestimate the huge good simply having sport back on TV did for so many people.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A slightly contrary view to many!

I for one was massively relieved when the Premier League and other sports restarted. Quite aside from giving us all some semblance of normality in difficult times, it allowed us hope that this pandemic won’t beat us.

I’m not sure we can underestimate the huge good simply having sport back on TV did for so many people.

Well one of us can! :rolleyes:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got allocated our new Scottish 1-5 covid rating today, we're in 2 here in Argyll which has exactly the same rules as we've been in the last few weeks so no change for us I dont think.

Had planned on a week in Skye early October (school hols) with inlaws but that got scuppered with the no mixing of households indoors rule that came in about a month ago, as it stands we could now do that next week as Highland is level 1 so two households can now mix indoors again there.

Christmas will be tricky wrt company unless we get down to level 1. We can get my mum in a bubble extra, cant get the inlaws though.....devastated.;)
We're stuck in tier 3 [ with a bullet ]. We've book our favourite restaurant for my birthday lunch next week. Sadly they're not allowed to sell alcohol, should we be naughty and sneak in a bottle of our favourite red, and just ask for 2 glasses of cola :eek::devilish::ROFLMAO:.
Only joking of course :p

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i thnk i saw it said that if you are in a ceratin teir you have to still act as if you are in it not travel to another area and do as they do

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We're stuck in tier 3 [ with a bullet ]. We've book our favourite restaurant for my birthday lunch next week. Sadly they're not allowed to sell alcohol, should we be naughty and sneak in a bottle of our favourite red, and just ask for 2 glasses of cola :eek::devilish::ROFLMAO:.
Only joking of course :p

We're out tonight for my b'day. What was a table of 12 is now 2 tables of 6. Thankfully, wine can still be had. Bit weird that you use alcohol hand gel to kill the bugs on the outside but can't drink alcohol to kill the bugs on the inside.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Friends of ours are visiting the area for a couple of days. Ours is a tier 2 area as is theirs. We arranged to meet up for a bite to eat at somewhere with outdoor seating. There were 5 of us in total as they had their young son with them. The place was quiet but only had tables for 4. We asked if we could put 2 tables together, but apparently this is against the rules, so 2 of us sat at one table while the other 3 had to sit about 12 feet away. Seemed a bit silly and petty.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're out tonight for my b'day. What was a table of 12 is now 2 tables of 6. Thankfully, wine can still be had. Bit weird that you use alcohol hand gel to kill the bugs on the outside but can't drink alcohol to kill the bugs on the inside.
Happy birthday Brian fellow Scorpio, have a good one. (y)
Sadly we won't be getting our usual free bottles of wine for our birthdays from the restaurant, as both birthdays are in November while the alcohol ban is in place :mad:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i thnk i saw it said that if you are in a ceratin teir you have to still act as if you are in it not travel to another area and do as they do
if your tier allows you to travel your tier restrictions go with you if you go to a lower tier - but if you go to a higher tier you have to comply with restrictions in that tier not your ‘home’ tier.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Friends of ours are visiting the area for a couple of days. Ours is a tier 2 area as is theirs. We arranged to meet up for a bite to eat at somewhere with outdoor seating. There were 5 of us in total as they had their young son with them. The place was quiet but only had tables for 4. We asked if we could put 2 tables together, but apparently this is against the rules, so 2 of us sat at one table while the other 3 had to sit about 12 feet away. Seemed a bit silly and petty.
Would they not let you pull up another chair.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would they not let you pull up another chair.
That is not allowed. You can not sit with people from another household up here.

When I play golf tomorrow there will be 3 in our group. Afterwards we will sit on 3 separate tables, spaced apart. If anyone tried to move a chair they will get barked at. If the club allows people to sit together when they should not they could get closed.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had the app installed from the day it was released. Took the mrs out for lunch today, did the check in thing, and as I opened the app the screen flashes up in red, 3 more days of isolation to go. WTF? Not once have I recieved a notification, text, email etc to say I have been in contact with someone infected, so I potentially have been merrily spreading this around for the last two weeks absolutley none the wiser. Whats more, checking back two weeks to when the alleged contact happened, I wasn't at work that day , I was at home nursing a nuclear hangover!
I realise no system is going to be perfect and there will always be anomalies but this thing is a total cluster...

It is indeed a cluster F*. As my friend in the know says,. dont dare call it the NHS T&T.. the NHS has nothing to do with the App. All external but giving NHS a bad name