Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I read it as written, I don't want to read anything else into it.

If he's venting frustrations and doesn't want advice then he needs to say so. I have given him some advice which he can take or leave, that's up to him. Maybe you can take your own advice and read my comments to him then comment on them rather than what you want them to be.

No he doesn't.

Maybe if the title of the thread was "Coronavirus - advice needed", or if he had actually asked for advice, then you would have a point, but it isn't and he didn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

Then make it clear from the outset otherwise others will interpret as they read it.
It’s clear to most apart the same old few who will constantly battle against him regardless of what he says - responding to the poster as opposed to what he posts - it’s ruined multiple threads on here to the point a subject has now been banned.

The fact others have mentioned “Brexit , DMD’s and Standing position “clearly show it’s the poster
This post sums up everything very well
There's a great thread in here where people affected by Alzheimer's and dementia can post their stories, feelings and struggles and use the thread as a place to vent, let off steam, ask for advice or even pour their hearts out. Genuinely one of the best threads I've ever seen on any message board anywhere.

Has anyone stopped to think that there's the possibility that people posting on this thread might also be struggling for whatever reason and, rather than even offering "advice" (if you can call it that), a sympathetic ear or whatever might be much more appreciated than anyone would ever know? Wouldn't it be better for the whole board if everyone put aside whatever differences they have with any other poster and remember everyone's a human being rather than a messageboard username?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Then I would suggest that you might be better off ignoring this thread.

As has been said many times this was intended to be somewhere that forum members could express what effect the virus was/is having upon them and, by definition, those close to them.

It isn't necessarily intended to be a vehicle for advice, no matter how well intentioned.

This is a thread that has gone over 10,000 posts - 10,000 posts haven't just been about the affect that Covid has had upon the poster, the posts have understandably been many and varied and opinions have been discussed at length. In fact I offered no advice to SILH and have no desire to do so as past postings suggest that he isn't particularly open to advice.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is a thread that has gone over 10,000 posts - 10,000 posts haven't just been about the affect that Covid has had upon the poster, the posts have understandably been many and varied and opinions have been discussed at length. In fact I offered no advice to SILH and have no desire to do so as past postings suggest that he isn't particularly open to advice.

you just couldn't resist having another pop at him, could you?

D

Deleted member 18588

But has he ever said that he was seeking advice?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have huge sympathy for those in the arts and the impact of Covid on their chosen profession. It is precarious in the best of times but Covid has increased that. For sure many have always taken jobs as waiters etc to keep the wolves from the door and I admire that resiliance.

I do believe things will return to normal and hopefully by mid 2021 we'll see that happening. Until then it will be a struggle for those that choose such a career - same as for many at the moment. I'd say "chin up" rather than "man up" - this will pass.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But has he ever said that he was seeking advice?
Did he suggest he wasn't.

If someone suggests they are having mental health problems due to a set of circumstances that are affecting their life then it's quite reasonable for the addressee to make some suggestions on how that person could do things to alleviate the circumstances and lessen the pressures such that it would help improve their mental health.

If the poster only wanted to vent frustrations then to me it would make sense to explain that and clarify they didn't want any help. Regarding some not empathasing with their situation, I can only say that people have their own ways and filters on how they perceive the World and life, it's naive in the extreme to expect everyone to hold the same or even similar views.

Sometimes empathy is not the best way as it's possible for someone inside the issue to be so consumed by events that they can be blinded to the solution, this is why councillors and advisors are often able to see the solution due to not being affected by the emotional aspects of the issue.

I do understand how SILH and his wife are concerned about their Sons future, as Parents that's what we do and worry ourselves about. Fortunately his Son and Partner have no children and don't appear to be homeless or without income. I have suggested that the entertainment industry is flat on its face and probably will be for some time but will come back again. In the meantime it's best to look for something else to do as doing nothing will not improve their mental health.

That's how I see it and will leave the matter at that to stop it being a cyclic discussion about who has or hasn't the correct levels of empathy.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread has taken an interesting turn recently. Some strongly held views and issues, although not the sort of stuff that has objective data to back it up, lots of personal and individual experiences. I worked in psychiatry many years ago - it has been a while - but my OH still works in it, and it is interesting how people react to these challenging external events like Covid. Some have found major effects on their careers, lifestyles and health, others much less, and different people seem to react often very differently to what on the surface to be appears to be similar events. Of course, the consequences of those events and the way they relate to previous life events are often very different, and indivudla personality traits can be very different too.

I think it is quite difficult to criticise people for their personal view on how an experience has affected them, even if it has affected you differently, whether that it is to display more resilience or to understand how someone might find it impossible to deal with. It is one thing to take your own advice, another to dispense it to others.

One thing for sure, the effects of Covid on people, families and the wider society are far from over. The aftermath might be worse than the acute event.

D

Deleted member 25172

This thread has taken an interesting turn recently. Some strongly held views and issues, although not the sort of stuff that has objective data to back it up, lots of personal and individual experiences. I worked in psychiatry many years ago - it has been a while - but my OH still works in it, and it is interesting how people react to these challenging external events like Covid. Some have found major effects on their careers, lifestyles and health, others much less, and different people seem to react often very differently to what on the surface to be appears to be similar events. Of course, the consequences of those events and the way they relate to previous life events are often very different, and indivudla personality traits can be very different too.

I think it is quite difficult to criticise people for their personal view on how an experience has affected them, even if it has affected you differently, whether that it is to display more resilience or to understand how someone might find it impossible to deal with. It is one thing to take your own advice, another to dispense it to others.

One thing for sure, the effects of Covid on people, families and the wider society are far from over. The aftermath might be worse than the acute event.

And I think that post would be a great re-start to the thread now that it’s gone through politics and personal tit for tats in the last week.

I won’t hold my breath though. :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

It is strange how this can creep up you. I thought I was coping really well with the whole thing but then a couple of weeks ago I realised that I had slowly but surely been reducing the sort of things I would do, contracting the distances I was willing to travel until I was pretty much just spending time at work, at home and occasionally at one friend's house. Thing is, I never realised I was doing it, finding subtle reasons not to go places or do things then the realisation about my change in behaviour struck home and I trying to slowly expand my boundaries again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It is strange how this can creep up you. I thought I was coping really well with the whole thing but then a couple of weeks ago I realised that I had slowly but surely been reducing the sort of things I would do, contracting the distances I was willing to travel until I was pretty much just spending time at work, at home and occasionally at one friend's house. Thing is, I never realised I was doing it, finding subtle reasons not to go places or do things then the realisation about my change in behaviour struck home and I trying to slowly expand my boundaries again.

We had a very similar conversation earlier today. Apart from 3 visits to some friends who moved 30 miles away just before lockdown, we've not been out of the valley. Normally, we'd be all over southern Spain, staying away several times a year as well as the usual day trips.

That said, we've got plans for next Sept. Drive to Lisbon, about 8 hours. Stop there for a week then fly on to New York for a week.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

When Covid first appeared, an idea arose that it would kill granny or people with immune deficiencies, make middle aged fat people quite unwell for a while and barely affect younger people. I think we now realise it is much more complicated, with long Covid, downstream complications and I fully expect a bunch of other issues that rear up in later years. Those effects are not just physical, and psychological effects including PTSD and other changes in thinking and perception are emerging now. I foresee rises in suicide rates in Covid survivors a year or more after "recovery". The economic effects will eventually pass for society overall, it always does, but will leave behind people whose businesses and lives have been irreparably ruined. The debate over whether this is worse than the effects of lockdown, some of which are quite similar, will continue for years. This is a multi-dimensional pandemic that will leave nobody unaffected.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When Covid first appeared, an idea arose that it would kill granny or people with immune deficiencies, make middle aged fat people quite unwell for a while and barely affect younger people. I think we now realise it is much more complicated, with long Covid, downstream complications and I fully expect a bunch of other issues that rear up in later years. Those effects are not just physical, and psychological effects including PTSD and other changes in thinking and perception are emerging now. I foresee rises in suicide rates in Covid survivors a year or more after "recovery". The economic effects will eventually pass for society overall, it always does, but will leave behind people whose businesses and lives have been irreparably ruined. The debate over whether this is worse than the effects of lockdown, some of which are quite similar, will continue for years. This is a multi-dimensional pandemic that will leave nobody unaffected.

The impact on school/college going kids is also going to be tough one. I see my son and his friends. They initially struggled, but most of them (mentally) unaffected over summer once sports was allowed. However as winter starts and no longer outdoor activities are on, it will start to bite. Too much screen time, some already struggling to have a conversation in the real world. Will we lose a (sub) generation of kids?

I did not want to mention about the hunger issue, but could not help notice that Hancock lied on national TV about Bojo talking to Rashford.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The impact on school/college going kids is also going to be tough one. I see my son and his friends. They initially struggled, but most of them (mentally) unaffected over summer once sports was allowed. However as winter starts and no longer outdoor activities are on, it will start to bite. Too much screen time, some already struggling to have a conversation in the real world. Will we lose a (sub) generation of kids?

I did not want to mention about the hunger issue, but could not help notice that Hancock lied on national TV about Bojo talking to Rashford.
My three Grandsons in the USA have been doing online schoolwork since March and seem to be managing ok with it. I also have a Daughter in the UK doing an OU degree along with a separate diploma course online and managed a Distinction for the years work.

It is hard discipline to study online, I did an OU Degree some years ago when it was video and Caset tapes with text books along with a full time job, it's very hard work.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My three Grandsons in the USA have been doing online schoolwork since March and seem to be managing ok with it. I also have a Daughter in the UK doing an OU degree along with a separate diploma course online and managed a Distinction for the years work.

It is hard discipline to study online, I did an OU Degree some years ago when it was video and Caset tapes with text books along with a full time job, it's very hard work.

Online is hard on kids... one of the joys of being in school is the social skills we pick up interacting with others - kids, teachers etc. That seems lost. One of our friends kid who is now Y7 (so no exams) says all the kids turn off video and play xbox. :)... as i m gluttony for punishment, i too am starting an online course next week.. will be tough

BTW, online school is hard on kids, but equally hard on parents. I have my son on his zoom trying to imitate the way i talk on my conf calls .. scary.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Little concerned about how long it takes for the track and trace app to alert a close contact.

A fella in our lab tested positive on Saturday morning. Filled out what needs to be done for the app.

A girl working along side him only got the message yesterday morning.

That's all day Saturday, Sunday and some of Monday morn potentially spreading the virus.

This is far too long.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not health related, but I think fits the thread brief.
Mortgage deal was coming to an end. What in the past seemed relatively straightforward it just seems so hard now. Long phone queue times, call backs promised but don't happen. So, end up too close to next payment so back on standard rate which opens the door wider for shopping around. But next provider chosen seems the same, online broken, huge queues etc.
If anyone can recommend providers to look at that have decent current operating models, please share.