Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 16999

My point is they aren't offering Hogan advice, they are rather critisising others advice.
My point is, You, me all the others have offered advice in the past, he’s ignored it all, some of us have stopped responding, others continue!

They have a choice as well.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My point is, You, me all the others have offered advice in the past, he’s ignored it all, some of us have stopped responding, others continue!

They have a choice as well.
I've given him some advice again, I've tried to consider his situation including mental health issues. I have to say though that if anyone doesn't like the advice people give on an open forum then it's probably best to seek it through other channels.

D

Deleted member 16999

I've given him some advice again, I've tried to consider his situation including mental health issues. I have to say though that if anyone doesn't like the advice people give on an open forum then it's probably best to seek it through other channels.
HE’S NOT ALWAYS ASKING FOR ADVICE, SIMPLY VENTING HIS FRUSTRATIONS.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have you ever thought that he isn’t asking for your advice and is just venting his frustrations about the whole situation - maybe sometimes advice isn’t welcome

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I just don't understand why he keeps posting about his Son, we've seen it about half a dozen times now. I see the normal suspects are complaining about what others post but don't offer Hogie any advice.

I gave my opinion on his Sons situation, if he only wants replies that sympathise with his situation then this is never going to be the place to find it.
Jeez....

Prompted by the worries that many mental health professionals and mental health bodies have expressed over the weekend about the impact of the coronavirus on the wider UK society as MANY are really struggling - I posted in the context of this thread about how coronavirus is affecting me and my wife - is that not what this thread is about? - and how worried we are for our son and for his mental health. And I was very specific about that. I get the concerns of the professionals. And the fact that it is not simply the individual with the issues who are affected - their struggles can have significant impact on those close to them.

OK? Is that clear?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jeez....

Prompted by the worries that many mental health professionals and mental health bodies have expressed over the weekend about the impact of the coronavirus on the wider UK society as MANY are really struggling - I posted in the context of this thread about how coronavirus is affecting me and my wife - is that not what this thread is about? - and how worried we are for our son and for his mental health. And I was very specific about that. I get the concerns of the professionals. And the fact that it is not simply the individual with the issues who are affected - their struggles can have significant impact on those close to them.

OK? Is that clear?

The important question is that are all those involved seeking help. I was brought up in the 70s, man up culture and it took me a long time and a lot of persuasion to seek the help I needed. As everyone seems to have come to terms with the fact that they are struggling with their mental health, is everyone now looking to get the professional help needed to at least ensure that everyone copes a little better.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a great thread in here where people affected by Alzheimer's and dementia can post their stories, feelings and struggles and use the thread as a place to vent, let off steam, ask for advice or even pour their hearts out. Genuinely one of the best threads I've ever seen on any message board anywhere.

Has anyone stopped to think that there's the possibility that people posting on this thread might also be struggling for whatever reason and, rather than even offering "advice" (if you can call it that), a sympathetic ear or whatever might be much more appreciated than anyone would ever know? Wouldn't it be better for the whole board if everyone put aside whatever differences they have with any other poster and remember everyone's a human being rather than a messageboard username?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a great thread in here where people affected by Alzheimer's and dementia can post their stories, feelings and struggles and use the thread as a place to vent, let off steam, ask for advice or even pour their hearts out. Genuinely one of the best threads I've ever seen on any message board anywhere.

Has anyone stopped to think that there's the possibility that people posting on this thread might also be struggling for whatever reason and, rather than even offering "advice" (if you can call it that), a sympathetic ear or whatever might be much more appreciated than anyone would ever know? Wouldn't it be better for the whole board if everyone put aside whatever differences they have with any other poster and remember everyone's a human being rather than a messageboard username?

I think that some of this is down to how individuals process situations and respond to them. You explain your position to a few people, some may sit and just listen, others will try and take your mind off it, some will try to take you out to cheer you up and others, as in this case, process things practically and their immediate response to a problem is to try and offer advice and find a way out. That advice may not be sought or wanted (and it would actually help if people started a post by saying they are just venting, not looking for advice) but if that is not clear, that is just how some people process and deal with issues. I will be the first to admit that I am not an emotional person and I do not process emotional problems well and so when someone comes to me with one, my instant reaction is to move into a space that I am comfortable in and try and deal with the practicalities of a situation rather than the emotional support that may also be needed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Jeez....

OK? Is that clear?

My son was laid off some 3 weeks ago and my wife and I were deeply worried for reasons almost diametrically opposite to your son's issues, but nevertheless just as worrying for us. The last place that I would have looked for answers, sympathy or help is a golf forum.

D

Deleted member 15344

My son was laid off some 3 weeks ago and my wife and I were deeply worried for reasons almost diametrically opposite to your son's issues, but nevertheless just as worrying for us. The last place that I would have looked for answers, sympathy or help is a golf forum.

He isn’t asking for answers or help or sympathy he is just venting at the situation for him and his family.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hogie's son has mental issues. In the main they have been brought on by Covid. Hogie and Mrs Hogie are suffering anxiety etc because of this.

We don't know anything else with any certainty. However, surely we are all capable of a little compassion?

If this was the son of your best mate, what would your response be? It is as simple as that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hogie's son has mental issues. In the main they have been brought on by Covid. Hogie and Mrs Hogie are suffering anxiety etc because of this.

We don't know anything else with any certainty. However, surely we are all capable of a little compassion?

If this was the son of your best mate, what would your response be? It is as simple as that.

My comments would be, I suspect, pretty much the same. I know that I do not deal with and process emotional situations and responses well and so my natural reaction is to defer to what I can comprehend and look towards practical solutions (advice) rather than try and address the matter on an emotional level. That comes from looking at my own shortcomings more than anything else but at least i know how I deal with issues that people bring to me and I guess my mates know whether I am the best person to come to in any given circumstance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I wouldn't be looking for comments on a golf forum. I appreciate life not rosey for him and millions of people but we're not councillors in mental health issues just people who look at an issue and give what advice we can. Hogie has been posting about his Sons problems a number of times and it always end up the same way, a mud slinging match where posters have differing views on what he should be doing. I honestly think he needs to stop doing it and seek some professional help.

In saying this I don't wish him or his family any ill or malice and hope things turn out for the better in time.

D

Deleted member 18588

Thanks ever so much Phil for your help to understand the matter.

My correction:

This is the last place I'd look to vent my situation for me and my family, except to use "Random irritations" possibly ?
Then I would suggest that you might be better off ignoring this thread.

As has been said many times this was intended to be somewhere that forum members could express what effect the virus was/is having upon them and, by definition, those close to them.

It isn't necessarily intended to be a vehicle for advice, no matter how well intentioned.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Start listening and read what’s actually posted rather than what you want to read.
I read it as written, I don't want to read anything else into it.

If he's venting frustrations and doesn't want advice then he needs to say so. I have given him some advice which he can take or leave, that's up to him. Maybe you can take your own advice and read my comments to him then comment on them rather than what you want them to be.