Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry if this seems insensitive but when people talk about mental problems and "anxiety" because of covid. Especially in children, teens and young adults I just can't find it in myself to be sympathetic. These people need to build some mental resilience. This is a flash in the pan compared to what they may face in the future. How will these people deal with paying off their mortgage to see the wife leave and take 75% of it and see Mr Big driving their car.

You should have got a better solicitor...

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry if this seems insensitive but when people talk about mental problems and "anxiety" because of covid. Especially in children, teens and young adults I just can't find it in myself to be sympathetic. These people need to build some mental resilience. This is a flash in the pan compared to what they may face in the future. How will these people deal with paying off their mortgage to see the wife leave and take 75% of it and see Mr Big driving their car.

Can’t beat the old “man up” from the rough and rugged 20th century man - who mainly can’t understand that everyone’s brain works differently

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can’t beat the old “man up” from the rough and rugged 20th century man - who mainly can’t understand that everyone’s brain works differently
I certainly don't think this attitude of covering your children in cotton wool helps anyone in the future. There's nothing wrong with preparing your children for the challenges they will face later on in life as long as its proportionate

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
And one man destroys the existence of a huge swathe of mental illness in one fell swoop.

Concentrate on Covid-19 next, please?

D

Deleted member 15344

I certainly don't think this attitude of covering your children in cotton wool helps anyone in the future. There's nothing wrong with preparing your children for the challenges they will face later on in life as long as its proportionate

That’s bit different to what you posted though isn’t it - pretty much dismissive of the affects of Covid on young peoples mental health , as I said it’s just the standard Neanderthal man up you read from people who prob think it’s a sign of weakness to have a mental illness

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s bit different to what you posted though isn’t it - pretty much dismissive of the affects of Covid on young peoples mental health , as I said it’s just the standard Neanderthal man up you read from people who prob think it’s a sign of weakness to have a mental illness
Not at all. I think mental illness is a big issue. I just think too many people try and squeeze under this umbrella. Feeling blue, having a few sleepless nights and having worries about your future is not a mental illness.
I think some people need help, professional help. I also think some people need to "man up" dust themselves off and realise life is tough and move forward.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just don't understand why he keeps posting about his Son, we've seen it about half a dozen times now. I see the normal suspects are complaining about what others post but don't offer Hogie any advice.

I gave my opinion on his Sons situation, if he only wants replies that sympathise with his situation then this is never going to be the place to find it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I just don't understand why he keeps posting about his Son, we've seen it about half a dozen times now. I see the normal suspects are complaining about what others post but don't offer Hogie any advice.

I gave my opinion on his Sons situation, if he only wants replies that sympathise with his situation then this is never going to be the place to find it.
He posts about his Son because he can, the same people reply over and over again to him because they can.

Why can’t those ”usual suspects” stop offering their advice like you have?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Maybe he’s explaining how coronavirus has affected his son’s life and by proxy his, as per the thread title?

Perhaps venting it on here allows him to put things into perspective?

Or perhaps he should just man up, his son should man up, we ALL should man up and just eat bricks, punch windows and be overall much more masculine and between us we can testosterone away this pandemic! HEAR ME ROAR.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, I know that I am going to be unpopular about this but it just strikes me that the amount of sympathy and calls for support that you get is very much dependent on the job that you have. During the credit crunch certain elements of the legal profession were cut down to the core, there were mass redundancies in estate agency, mortgage advice, house building etc but the response at the time was more akin to 'serves them right' and there was no support available. Nobody at the time as calling for any help from these industries and professions and none was given. I lost my job at the time and so I worked bar jobs, supermarket jobs etc until I could get a job more suited to what I had trained to do. When I could find a job, it was a 2 hour drive to work every morning and so I was leaving home at 5.30 in the morning and getting back at 9.00 at night sometimes. Nearly cost me everything doing that for 2 years but it was the only option out there.

Not saying that this as a 'man up' post or anything else like that but at least those suffering hardship at the moment have the support of the general public who wants the arts, hospitality etc to get back on their feet. It really is a bad place when you have lost your job, your industry is in pieces and the public are, at best, ambivalent to what happen and in a number of cases actually happy that your profession is collapsing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not at all. I think mental illness is a big issue. I just think too many people try and squeeze under this umbrella. Feeling blue, having a few sleepless nights and having worries about your future is not a mental illness.
I think some people need help, professional help. I also think some people need to "man up" dust themselves off and realise life is tough and move forward.

So how do you judge who is “squeezing under the umbrella” as you call

Sleepless nights , feeling down , worrying about future - all potential issues with both anxiety and mental illness and if untreated can get worse

No one should ever tell some to “man up” “dust themselves down” and carry on - it’s that sort of thinking projected making people scared to speak out or seek help and then downward spiral - each person thinks differently , you maybe a bit rough and ready man’s man who can just shrug your shoulders and move on - not everyone thinks that way. Don’t judge everyone on your standards when it comes to mental health - it’s dangerous

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He posts about his Son because he can, the same people reply over and over again to him because they can.

Why can’t those ”usual suspects” stop offering their advice like you have?
My point is they aren't offering Hogan advice, they are rather critisising others advice.

D

Deleted member 18588

Could SilH's son do more to alleviate his financial situation?

Quite possibly.

But would that, at the same time, help him deal with the mental health issues?

Almost certainly not.

The latter will be far more deep rooted than just worries over paying bills etc; and involve many other aspects of how he views his life.

I have suffered from severe depression and it first hit me when I was in a secure well paid job, happily married with two healthy children.

What had I got to worry about?

On the face of it nothing, but the mind is a deep place and none of us know when or why it might lead us into some very difficult and dark places.

Please , if you cannot at least empathise with Hogie's family's issues, just move on and keep the "man up" advice out of it.

As I see it he is not asking for sympathy for his son's financial predicament but merely detailing the effect that it's having upon their mental wellbeing as a family.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I
Could SilH's son do more to alleviate his financial situation?

Quite possibly.

But would that, at the same time, help him deal with the mental health issues?

Almost certainly not.

The latter will be far more deep rooted than just worries over paying bills etc; and involve many other aspects of how he views his life.

I have suffered from severe depression and it first hit me when I was in a secure well paid job, happily married with two healthy children.

What had I got to worry about?

On the face of it nothing, but the mind is a deep place and none of us know when or why it might lead us into some very difficult and dark places.

Please , if you cannot at least empathise with Hogie's family's issues, just move on and keep the "man up" advice out of it.

As I see it he is not asking for sympathy for his son's financial predicament but merely detailing the effect that it's having upon their mental wellbeing as a family.
I think that’s a fair response, I will say though, I don’t think too many were intentionally unsympathetic to the sons mental anguish. It’s more that for probably a year it’s been documented about the career struggles. Long before covid. So it comes across at times that he was claiming Covid caused all the problems when In truth his sons choices put him in a pickle.

D

Deleted member 18588

I
I think that’s a fair response, I will say though, I don’t think too many were intentionally unsympathetic to the sons mental anguish. It’s more that for probably a year it’s been documented about the career struggles. Long before covid. So it comes across at times that he was claiming Covid caused all the problems when In truth his sons choices put him in a pickle.
And does any of that alter the fact that his mental health and his family's is affected?

The response of some would suggest that they haven't fully read SilH's post nor understand the thread title.

P.S. Having re-read this I am aware that it might seem I am including you in that criticism.

I am not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
And does any of that alter the fact that his mental health and his family's is affected?

The response of some would suggest that they haven't fully read SilH's post nor understand the thread title.
No it doesn't change his sons problem.

I'm just giving a reason as to why some will be less sympathetic when there must have been half a dozen threads about the problems he faced and the wall he would put up when even sensible advise was given.

D

Deleted member 15344

No it doesn't change his sons problem.

I'm just giving a reason as to why some will be less sympathetic when there must have been half a dozen threads about the problems he faced and the wall he would put up when even sensible advise was given.

Some are less sympathetic because of the poster as opposed to the content - the poster has had strong views on some very recent issues (Brexit etc ) and been the polar opposite of opinion of those same opinion ( hence why various threads were mentioned ) - there is a lot of posting against the poster as opposed to the content

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Some are less sympathetic because of the poster as opposed to the content - the poster has had strong views on some very recent issues (Brexit etc ) and been the polar opposite of opinion of those same opinion ( hence why various threads were mentioned ) - there is a lot of posting against the poster as opposed to the content
I have avoided pretty much all the brexit content. I was simply stating what I've seen on multiple threads about his son. Which is what I consider as various threads.

There may be others. But I've seen enough on the threads I mention to understand some peoples frustration in their responses.