Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not health related, but I think fits the thread brief.
Mortgage deal was coming to an end. What in the past seemed relatively straightforward it just seems so hard now. Long phone queue times, call backs promised but don't happen. So, end up too close to next payment so back on standard rate which opens the door wider for shopping around. But next provider chosen seems the same, online broken, huge queues etc.
If anyone can recommend providers to look at that have decent current operating models, please share.

Deal with mortgage companies every day and most of them are an hour queue on the phone. The only one I can get hold of easily at the moment are First Direct.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My sister in law announced that she's separating from her husband as he's started drinking quite heavily and has lost all motivation to do anything so doesn't leave the house. To be honest I really feel for the guy, since I've known him he's talked about being a pilot, I always thought it was one of those things he'd wish he could do but a couple of years ago he made it a reality by re-mortgaging their house so he could do the training. They had to make huge lifestyle changes due to the costs of the training but it was done on the basis of future earnings and him having a career that had been a dream for so many years previously.

His training started, he lived away from home at various locations around the world however progressed well and was always towards the top of the class so all was good and the dream was pretty close. In February he had one final exam to pass and then it was on to getting his hours in and his dream would be realised. Sadly Covid hit and his exam was shelved. That wasn’t really the hardest part, the real kick in the bollocks was being told that even if he had passed (which was expected) the chances of him getting a job were zero. Even at the best of times you have to work your way up and get the flying hours in but suddenly this was impossible to do. There were experienced pilots all over the shot looking for work and a newbie was so far back in the queue that he was advised to give up straight away and look for other work.

He's a pretty positive chap and got himself a job with Sainsbury’s driving a van and he seemed to be coping however behind the scenes he wasn’t and the longer it went on the worst it got for him and now he finds himself in this position. For me personally, I have run my own company for 11 years and I am presently running at 25% of normal work, with budgets already cut for next year this figure is unlikely to improve all that much however I can see it out so I will just tread water for a year or so and see what happens. I realise that even in my pretty rubbish situation there are a load out there worse off.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not health related, but I think fits the thread brief.
Mortgage deal was coming to an end. What in the past seemed relatively straightforward it just seems so hard now. Long phone queue times, call backs promised but don't happen. So, end up too close to next payment so back on standard rate which opens the door wider for shopping around. But next provider chosen seems the same, online broken, huge queues etc.
If anyone can recommend providers to look at that have decent current operating models, please share.

Mortgage providers are all maxed out with staff shortage/WFH along with a surge in demand due to stamp duty holiday. A friend who works in backoffice quant analysis at a Big 4 bank says that they are all being drafted in on mortgage duties.

Do you need to speak to a provider?

I am with Santander and of all the providers we have had in the past, i do recommend them. about 3-4 months b4 end of contract they always send out their next offer. I have yet to see any other player beat that quote - esp since they dont need new valuations and legal if you sign up. This year, we wanted a change in terms, so i had to call up. fairly stratight forward. but the lady could not solve it and had to escalate. So they booked a tele appointment. Again went thru the motions (but it was well managed). No hassle. Now on a 1.29% 2-year deal. Cant complain

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
My sister in law announced that she's separating from her husband as he's started drinking quite heavily and has lost all motivation to do anything so doesn't leave the house.

My ex did the same to me when my depression hit a few years ago, broke me.

Really feel for the guy, I can't explain how hard it was to do anything, even shower!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My sister in law announced that she's separating from her husband as he's started drinking quite heavily and has lost all motivation to do anything so doesn't leave the house. To be honest I really feel for the guy, since I've known him he's talked about being a pilot, I always thought it was one of those things he'd wish he could do but a couple of years ago he made it a reality by re-mortgaging their house so he could do the training. They had to make huge lifestyle changes due to the costs of the training but it was done on the basis of future earnings and him having a career that had been a dream for so many years previously.

His training started, he lived away from home at various locations around the world however progressed well and was always towards the top of the class so all was good and the dream was pretty close. In February he had one final exam to pass and then it was on to getting his hours in and his dream would be realised. Sadly Covid hit and his exam was shelved. That wasn’t really the hardest part, the real kick in the bollocks was being told that even if he had passed (which was expected) the chances of him getting a job were zero. Even at the best of times you have to work your way up and get the flying hours in but suddenly this was impossible to do. There were experienced pilots all over the shot looking for work and a newbie was so far back in the queue that he was advised to give up straight away and look for other work.

He's a pretty positive chap and got himself a job with Sainsbury’s driving a van and he seemed to be coping however behind the scenes he wasn’t and the longer it went on the worst it got for him and now he finds himself in this position. For me personally, I have run my own company for 11 years and I am presently running at 25% of normal work, with budgets already cut for next year this figure is unlikely to improve all that much however I can see it out so I will just tread water for a year or so and see what happens. I realise that even in my pretty rubbish situation there are a load out there worse off.

Sorry to hear about the situation. Agree things are not the best at the moment, and unfortunately some professions getting hit more than others. The mental side of this is unfortunately taking a massive toll on every one. Hang in there..

D

Deleted member 21258

One of the many sad stories that are unfolding. As has been proved many times, economic success brings/affects health and wealth.

We know someone who was going down the pilot route, costs eye watering amounts and commitment. His plans have been put on hold similar to the above.

Feel for them and hope things get better.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We know someone who was going down the pilot route, costs eye watering amounts and commitment. His plans have been put on hold similar to the above.

Feel for them and hope things get better.

Sadly for my SIL's husband the timing couldn't have been worse, the money has been paid (over £100,000 I'm lead to believe) and the course completed but the timing of the virus has meant that it's been brought to a shuddering halt.

This guy has always been a hard worker, spent years putting away money whilst doing a job he hated to get to the point that they could use the additional mortgage money for him to go after his dream and, hopefully in time, mean a better future for the family. He's now got the double whammy of (pretty much) looking at a shiny new pilots licence that is useless whilst having the constant financial reminder of what it has cost him. He's tried to be positive and went out in his Sainsbury's van but finally it's got too much for him and he's just about to lose everything on both a personal and financial level. One amongst many I suspect and the fallout of this will go on for years and well past any vaccine sadly.

D

Deleted member 21258

Sadly for my SIL's husband the timing couldn't have been worse, the money has been paid (over £100,000 I'm lead to believe) and the course completed but the timing of the virus has meant that it's been brought to a shuddering halt.

This guy has always been a hard worker, spent years putting away money whilst doing a job he hated to get to the point that they could use the additional mortgage money for him to go after his dream and, hopefully in time, mean a better future for the family. He's now got the double whammy of (pretty much) looking at a shiny new pilots licence that is useless whilst having the constant financial reminder of what it has cost him. He's tried to be positive and went out in his Sainsbury's van but finally it's got too much for him and he's just about to lose everything on both a personal and financial level. One amongst many I suspect and the fallout of this will go on for years and well past any vaccine sadly.

The economic disaster I am starting to see first hand with my business, bit like you are in your business. A lot of which that is not directly linked to the virus, but policies in shutting big chunks of the economy/people down. Some industries are directly affected and travel would have taken a massive hit from a virus spreading, not that makes his situation any easily to cope with.

Yeah think I remember the youngish lad we know saying he was around 50kish in and think he had about another year to go. Done loads of flying hours which was costing a lot, training courses etc.

Must be terrible to have your world pulled away from under you and be almost left with what feels like nothing and in debt, that your SIL husband has seen. Its how you can end up in a very long dark tunnel, that you can not see the light at the end, hope he keeps fighting and gets though it.

Tough days.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Really feel for those who have made a commitment to a career and had the plug pulled through no fault of there own. I know when the pits were shutting I sat with me head in me hands thinking how am I gonna pay off me 35K mortgage. How times have change.
Oddly enough and I have said this before, golf helped quite a few lads get through dark days and I know of two lads who shed tears talking rammel to Tash Whilst on the course. If I had one piece of advice. It would be to talk talk talk. Also some people may find themselves in a position where they may well have to listen.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really feel for those who have made a commitment to a career and had the plug pulled through no fault of there own. I know when the pits were shutting I sat with me head in me hands thinking how am I gonna pay off me 35K mortgage. How times have change.
Oddly enough and I have said this before, golf helped quite a few lads get through dark days and I know of two lads who shed tears talking rammel to Tash Whilst on the course. If I had one piece of advice. It would be to talk talk talk. Also some people may find themselves in a position where they may well have to listen.
Heartfelt words.
Losing control of your life through actions completely out of your control is a terrible thing.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

i agree Tashy... not a day has gone by in lockdown, when i dont worry about having a job at some point. 2 weeks ago i (finally) played a round. It was crap, but it was good to get out of the house and see someone else. But the talk was still about how we get thru...

I am also trying to avoid alcohol. at the start of the lockdown, it was a bit of an 'open bar' in the home office.. Soon it was becoming a problem. so i am swinging the other way. Drink water or a cup of tea. I do have a piss-up coming up with mates. but these are far and few between.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
i agree Tashy... not a day has gone by in lockdown, when i dont worry about having a job at some point. 2 weeks ago i (finally) played a round. It was crap, but it was good to get out of the house and see someone else. But the talk was still about how we get thru...

I am also trying to avoid alcohol. at the start of the lockdown, it was a bit of an 'open bar' in the home office.. Soon it was becoming a problem. so i am swinging the other way. Drink water or a cup of tea. I do have a piss-up coming up with mates. but these are far and few between.
?
one of the lads who I had a teary session with. He told me when he got home he felt like the world had been lifted off his shoulders. So much so his Missis told him point blank “ that next time he is at the course he makes himself a five day member“. She said the change in him was remarkable .So much so he is now a 7 day member but he knows Sunday is a day with her end of.
The change in him is fantastic, so much so I was chuffed to bits that next May is his 50th and we are having 3 days in Southport playing Southport and Ainsdale, Birkdale and an other. He is buzzing.
Oddly enough he had hit the Guinness and that was part of his problem.
A Couple of years ago when his head was not right we went up to the northeast and met up with some forum lads. We played Tyneside GC and was due to play “man in blacks“ course the day after. I got a gippy tummy So I could not play. Me main man. Well let’s just say MIB took us out and showed us some fantastic sights and me PP got a taste for the Guinness. I woke up at 6 am with stomach cramps, rushed to the toilet and PP was fast on in the bath. I literally crapped myself. He had the hangover from hell so we had to kick MIBs golf day in the head. He laughs about it now but realises it was not a good time for him especially when having to many.
Hope the light at the end of the tunnel a bit brighter Muddy.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is strange how this can creep up you. I thought I was coping really well with the whole thing but then a couple of weeks ago I realised that I had slowly but surely been reducing the sort of things I would do, contracting the distances I was willing to travel until I was pretty much just spending time at work, at home and occasionally at one friend's house. Thing is, I never realised I was doing it, finding subtle reasons not to go places or do things then the realisation about my change in behaviour struck home and I trying to slowly expand my boundaries again.
This post made me think.
Here in Tier 2 and surrounded by Tier 3, there is no visiting anyone outside your household really. (It’s confusing but that’s pretty much the sum of it). So life has been at first very quickly and then slowly reduced to work, golf and home. And I am lucky I can play golf. Going out is a pain due to masks etc and fear of catching it, even having a drink in the clubhouse is one to a table, so not a very sociable activity. Hard to laugh and joke from a distance. So the end result is you don’t bother.
However, in an odd way I think it has made me think differently. In normal times I am always rushing around, hardly time to eat, serving on committees, always an event to attend. In this regard I have looked at it as a break from the norm and I think it has made me realise I need to do a bit less. Little of the rushing around I do is vital after all.
I am not saying I don’t want my normal life back. Right now I would snap your hand off if offered and I did notice when stuff at my club came up around the WHS I was first in the queue to put some stuff together. I have no doubt that as soon as it’s over I will be right back at it. But I do think in an odd way it has given me a chance to reevaluate and whilst I am already warning myself not to back off too far, I am thinking I need to do a bit less.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
?
one of the lads who I had a teary session with. He told me when he got home he felt like the world had been lifted off his shoulders. So much so his Missis told him point blank “ that next time he is at the course he makes himself a five day member“. She said the change in him was remarkable .So much so he is now a 7 day member but he knows Sunday is a day with her end of.
The change in him is fantastic, so much so I was chuffed to bits that next May is his 50th and we are having 3 days in Southport playing Southport and Ainsdale, Birkdale and an other. He is buzzing.
Oddly enough he had hit the Guinness and that was part of his problem.
A Couple of years ago when his head was not right we went up to the northeast and met up with some forum lads. We played Tyneside GC and was due to play “man in blacks“ course the day after. I got a gippy tummy So I could not play. Me main man. Well let’s just say MIB took us out and showed us some fantastic sights and me PP got a taste for the Guinness. I woke up at 6 am with stomach cramps, rushed to the toilet and PP was fast on in the bath. I literally crapped myself. He had the hangover from hell so we had to kick MIBs golf day in the head. He laughs about it now but realises it was not a good time for him especially when having to many.
Hope the light at the end of the tunnel a bit brighter Muddy.

tnx mate.. if i did not have so many debts, responsibilities or big aspirations for my kid to grow into then i might be a different place. there was a time when i was playing golf every week - sometimes take a day off to play. I haven't found a better sanctuary than a golf course. If i do win the lottery tonight (and i have finally bought a ticket), then it will take care of the finances and allow me freedom to play more. But i think the world is in a different place and money will only go so far.

This month i went for a dinner with work mates, played a round of golf and now have another pissup coming up. This is the most i have done since March..

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Some political posts have been removed and an infraction issued.

Once again, please note that political posts or discussions are not allowed on the GM Forum

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some political posts have been removed and an infraction issued.

Once again, please note that political posts or discussions are not allowed on the GM Forum

If someone posts something and it gets removed/deleted do they then get a message from the Mods? I posted something in the Laughter the Best Medicine thread a couple of nights ago and then it disappeared. I've got no problem with it being removed (if it was) as it was a bit political - even though I posted it because I thought it was funny rather than as a political comment - but I haven't had a message or slap on the wrist for posting it. I'd had a few when I posted it and didn't know if I'd somehow deleted it or if it had been modded, and didn't want to try posting it again if it had been removed for breaking the rules.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I'm a delivery person for a supermarket. Delivered today to a house on an estate that had allthe houses looked like I was in Beverly Hills. The one I had to deliver to had load of bluddy steps up to the door. The only one that did!!! Just my luck. As I struggled up the piggin' steps to the top there was a notice stuck to the door to say "We are self isolating. Leave any items at the door. If you need to speak to us ring this number XXXXXXXXX" Great just piggin' great! So I started to unload all the items neatly outside the door, when suddenly the door flew open and an old woman say "Hiya" and started to lean past me and grab the items to take in. I nearly jumped out of my skin!!!!!!!!
Just what part of Self Isolating were they doing? Do they actaully know what it means? We've also had people open the door to us (not me) and say they've got COVID and lean in to get their stuff!!!!!!
Don't tell me about the NHS people. You wanna be a supermarket delivery driver!!!!!